Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Icy's Beginner Artwork ^_^;;

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    Okay, so since you just got a tablet, get in the habit of long smooth lines while it's early!!!! This will REALLY help you improve!!

The arm is too short and too thin. the nose is too long and the mouth is too low. It's really not too bad for a first tablet drawing. Keep it up
    Using that "flattened circle" approach to drawing heads seems to not work at all on the front view S_S I end up freeballing the proportions and it doesn't turn out well..

I agree on the arm; I've never really drawn one at that type of angle before, so I was unsure.

And long smooth lines... yeah, I'll try. Definitely going to take a ridiculously long time though, because any attempt at long and smooth lines ends up ridiculously bad.

Thanks for the tips ^_^
    Pushing the limits of how bad drawings can be! If you ever need help, don't ask me. It's probably a bad idea.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

Quote Originally Posted by Icy View Post
    And long smooth lines... yeah, I'll try. Definitely going to take a ridiculously long time though, because any attempt at long and smooth lines ends up ridiculously bad.
    Not as long as you'd think! Just, everyday, as a warm-up, draw a nonsensical sheet of smooth lines (circles, squigglies, you name it!) and straight lines (practice quick motions) for at least a good 10 minutes and you'll get it. You don't need to save the warm-up by any means, just exit out when your done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

If you're having trouble with placing the features, try this. Their example is quite feminine looking, but it's a good starting point.

Without wanting to sound patronising, are you using layers when you're drawing in sai? Rather than worrying about having perfect lines first time, you might find it easier to make a rough sketch on your first layer, then draw smoother lines over it on a new layer above that. It's non-destructive, so if you mess up your new layer, you can just erase it and your original sketch will be unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
    If you're having trouble with placing the features, try this. Their example is quite feminine looking, but it's a good starting point.

Without wanting to sound patronising, are you using layers when you're drawing in sai? Rather than worrying about having perfect lines first time, you might find it easier to make a rough sketch on your first layer, then draw smoother lines over it on a new layer above that. It's non-destructive, so if you mess up your new layer, you can just erase it and your original sketch will be unchanged.
    I tried to do the "sketch first, draw smoothly over it second" approach, but it didn't really help at all. I couldn't draw anything "smooth" or curved or anything without doing the very sketchy, messy approach...
    Pushing the limits of how bad drawings can be! If you ever need help, don't ask me. It's probably a bad idea.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

Digital will take some time, it's different for every person. For some people they adapt in like a week to the pen and tablet, while others take months. Like everything else in art, it just takes some practice. And when I say some, I mean do it 10,000 times XD But in all seriousness, I'm still not used to mine after months.
    Ippou jitsu mugai
    Kenkon toku ittei
    Suimo hou nomitsu
    Douchaku soku kousei

Alright! Second tablet drawing. This time it looks a bit like Light, or like Ryota from Btooom, but I tried making it a bit more of my own. It's still very sketchy and unclean, but I tried to make the lines a bit more "long and fluid" or whatever words you described the ideal lines with. Some of the lines may look sketchy due to some lazy shading which spreads some lines outside of the boundaries...
    I think the features are a little better placed than the last one, but the nose might still be too long (?) and some other things are definitely off as well..
    Note: The shoulders were hastily drawn S_S They are really bad.

10/15/13 - Second Tablet Drawing
    SPOILER! :

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

The mouth is a little low. The irises are very different from eachother. It doesn't make sense that the eyes have two highlights, especially since the hair is casting a shadow over them. The neck's too thin and long.

Instead of trying to shade with a super thin brush, make the brush bigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

101 Dalmations Member Midori-Midori's Avatar
    Hey there ;D

I'm not too great at critiques but I'd like to offer a bit of advice. Do you normally draw on a really big canvas?
    You could try drawing a more thumbnail sized drawing instead of something the size of the drawing above^
    I find it harder to get proportions correct and easily mess up if I start really big right away. Also, since the lines have to be really long it might be tough to get those smooth lines.

For fluid lines, if you're using SAI, you can always try out the vector tool and there is also the stabilizer thingy. Keep practising the lines, maybe even try not lifting your pen off the page instead of making small lines.

Your art is really improving, keep practicing!
    When drawing/shading hair, try to keep the lines following the direction of the hair, this will make it look more realistic
    ''When you do something wrong, it is not a mistake. It is a lesson.''

SALUTATIONS! Long time no see. Sorry for the lack of posts recently, I just kind of stopped drawing for a bit for no real reason.
    To get back in the swing of things, I drew a guy in a hoodie. His nose is way too long T_T And the hoodie just looks strange, I think. Pretty soon I gotta start drawing things other than close up front or quarter views, I don't want to be limited S_S

10/23/13 - Hoodie Guy ^_^
    SPOILER! :

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~