Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Icy's Beginner Artwork ^_^;;

Quote Originally Posted by Iaidoka View Post
    Hmm not bad, not bad. But if you're going for a more realistic look, the eyes need to be an eye length apart and I still feel the arms need some bulking up. But it's nice to see some more clothing. Keep it up!
    I was going for a semi-realistic style, but I think I would like the eyes to be realistically spaced, so that's a fair suggestion. I'd agree on the arm thickness as well. Thanks a lot for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by UnmeiOTsukuru View Post
    Nice job! No reference as well! One issue I find is the neck looks a little thick compared to the shoulders. It looks fine compared to the head though, so try making the shoulders larger - just a little though
    Thanks! Yeah, the neck/shoulder sizes ended up being a bit confusing to do because there is that puffy part of the jacket covering the area, so it makes conveying accurate sizes difficult. Good suggestion, thanks <(^_^)>
    Pushing the limits of how bad drawings can be! If you ever need help, don't ask me. It's probably a bad idea.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

Newest drawing! This time not that realistic.

10/6/13 - Less Realistic Drawing
    SPOILER! :

Another attempt at a more manga-esque drawing. I used a few references, including my own past drawings plus a few of Rio's tutorials on this site. In the end I think this is almost OK at best, but not really impressive and probably proportionally terrible.

Pushing the limits of how bad drawings can be! If you ever need help, don't ask me. It's probably a bad idea.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

I would accentuate the hips much more, and I still think the arms need some more bulk. From what I can see I would suggest the legs need some bulk too. Also the skirt could be done a little better, with the pleats alternating one in front of the other. But you got a very key thing in leaving the eyes apart a fair distance. Keep on drawing!

Quote Originally Posted by Iaidoka View Post
    I would accentuate the hips much more, and I still think the arms need some more bulk. From what I can see I would suggest the legs need some bulk too. Also the skirt could be done a little better, with the pleats alternating one in front of the other. But you got a very key thing in leaving the eyes apart a fair distance. Keep on drawing!
    Arms are so tough, man. Always feels like they're either too small or too large and then I keep changing it and eventually it just winds up where it started ^^
    I agree on the legs and skirt. I'm not experienced with drawing hips/legs so much, so I will have to do more full body drawings to get used to this. Thanks a lot for the advice!

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

The head doesn't really have a logical shape to it. Neither do the eyes. Also, the eyes are completely different from eachother. The mouth is way too low. The nose needs to be farther to the left and tilted on the same angle as the rest of the face. The hair just ends; is the back of her head bald? The Breasts really make no sense. They indicate that her torso goes way wider than her breast (what?! O.o) and that her shirt is shaped to cup her breasts (double what?! O.o). Her blushies are way too low. The shoulders just have no shape at all; they should definitely be wider, squarer, and symmetrical. Her body is just a board and her hips are way narrower than her shoulders. Give her some curves! They don't have to be big, but she needs something. Her hips should be at least CLOSE to shoulder width.

Tip of the day: make simple gestures before you draw these sketches. They'll help give shape, make your art more anatomically correct, and help with symmetry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    The head doesn't really have a logical shape to it. Neither do the eyes. Also, the eyes are completely different from eachother. The mouth is way too low. The nose needs to be farther to the left and tilted on the same angle as the rest of the face. The hair just ends; is the back of her head bald? The Breasts really make no sense. They indicate that her torso goes way wider than her breast (what?! O.o) and that her shirt is shaped to cup her breasts (double what?! O.o). Her blushies are way too low. The shoulders just have no shape at all; they should definitely be wider, squarer, and symmetrical. Her body is just a board and her hips are way narrower than her shoulders. Give her some curves! They don't have to be big, but she needs something. Her hips should be at least CLOSE to shoulder width.

Tip of the day: make simple gestures before you draw these sketches. They'll help give shape, make your art more anatomically correct, and help with symmetry.
    It seems I've quite a bit to fix here. I'll re-draw this sketch tomorrow using your suggestions. Thanks a lot for the honest and informative help ^_^

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

Let's start with the biggest issue here; the head.

Human are symmetrical, and so it stands to reason that we can apply an "axis" or center line to planar surfaces (or indeed, any surface if you wish). With the head, everything sits on this line, or even deviated from it. I've tried to explain this on the image above (drawn roughly, but should accentuate the points I am trying to make). I also included two other axis' of importance; the angle of the shoulders, and the neck. Though both are equally important, I think you should tackle the problem of the face first. You need to really make sure when constructing your heads that you apply the center line and use it to keep all the facial features in "line", that way you can create the illusion of the face being "realistic". To break it down into easy to follow steps, here is a video:

I've tried to apply Demonfyre's advice for a new sketch, but I'm honestly not sure if it made a difference, mainly due to my own inability to use it properly V_V
    I'll hold off on the full body drawing for now. I also did a few body drawings using some anatomy references, but I'm not gonna scan those because I don't think it's that important to show them. I'll be honest, I was really discouraged about drawing earlier today, but I think I'm OK now ^_^

10/7/13 - Sketch
    SPOILER! :
    Last edited by Icy; 10-07-2013 at 08:18 PM.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

Major improvement from last time, the head is now starting to come together. Now what you need to do is look out some head references from lots of different angles and try to draw them. Personally I don't think style will make a difference since you are trying to solidify the basics in your head, but try to keep in mind the axis lines and the perspectives. On the new piece, the neck is pretty thick so try to thin it next time. Also try experimenting with your shoulder gesture, you will be surprised by the bodylanguage that can be conveyed with the shoulders.

Also definitely show that anatomy piece! How can people help you if you don't show anyone? ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    Major improvement from last time, the head is now starting to come together. Now what you need to do is look out some head references from lots of different angles and try to draw them. Personally I don't think style will make a difference since you are trying to solidify the basics in your head, but try to keep in mind the axis lines and the perspectives. On the new piece, the neck is pretty thick so try to thin it next time. Also try experimenting with your shoulder gesture, you will be surprised by the bodylanguage that can be conveyed with the shoulders.

Also definitely show that anatomy piece! How can people help you if you don't show anyone? ^^;
    Thanks for the advice. The neck thickness was something I noticed after I'd posted it, so good thing someone else reinforced that thought ^^ In any case, I'll try to do your recommended exercises soon. As for the anatomy "piece", it's more like random doodles that took about 5 minutes to do. I will do a more complete version soon, and upload that one.

If anyone cares, I'll be doing drawings every other day instead of daily, but on the days when I do draw, I'll do a lot more things in general, so overall I will be drawing more stuff total. ^_^

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~