Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Icy's Beginner Artwork ^_^;;

Quote Originally Posted by Iaidoka View Post
    No, no, and no! A lot of great artists learn by copying others, and there is absolutely no harm in it. It's a great way to see how you're coming along, to draw what you see. It takes a good amount of skill and patience to be able to replicate a drawing perfectly, never shun the reference!

Sorry for all that, but reference is never something to be afraid of. Now maybe if you had been at this for like 10 years only copying others then I would agree with you. But you are right about the head, just above the eye is the brow line, as the eyes are sunken into the head. Also I feel you could have turned his head more to the left as we don't see too much of that side of the face. Other than that, keep up the drawing!
    Reassuring ^_^ Although I was more talking about when I try to create an OC or something without a picture that's supposed to be a character I create in my head, it doesn't usually end up too good. An example of those would be the first few drawings I did that I used gimp to ink over.
    Time to see how many languages I can say thank you in: Thank you, gracias (Spanish), tack (Swedish), tag (Danish I think), chokran (Arabic), arigatou gozaimasu (Japanese), gamsamnida (Korean)... That's it. Thanks, haha ^_^

Okay, so the major problem here is that your face has no shape... at all. With the head just being an oval, the features don't look as great. Face shape emphasized facial features. That's the main problem with this piece.
    All with that, the eyes aren't level with each other or the same height as they should be. Eyes are halfway down the head, therefore your head is entirely too small. Spend a little more time shaping out the nose. Compared to the facial hair and eyes, the nose just looks unfinished.

All in all, the best advice I can give is this: Spend more time of your art. Focus on shaping out the face (even anime and cartoons have realistic property and follow anatomical guidelines). And, also, don't draw on notebook paper of you can avoid it; Notebook paper is very thin, so too much erasing can create holds, and is also messy-looking when scanned or photographed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    Okay, so the major problem here is that your face has no shape... at all. With the head just being an oval, the features don't look as great. Face shape emphasized facial features. That's the main problem with this piece.
    All with that, the eyes aren't level with each other or the same height as they should be. Eyes are halfway down the head, therefore your head is entirely too small. Spend a little more time shaping out the nose. Compared to the facial hair and eyes, the nose just looks unfinished.

All in all, the best advice I can give is this: Spend more time of your art. Focus on shaping out the face (even anime and cartoons have realistic property and follow anatomical guidelines). And, also, don't draw on notebook paper of you can avoid it; Notebook paper is very thin, so too much erasing can create holds, and is also messy-looking when scanned or photographed.
    Certainly sounds really reasonable. I'll definitely agree on the facial shape, I definitely have a tendency to rush the facial shape and go ASAP with whatever looks remotely, almost OK, because it's something that frustrates me a lot. I hadn't noticed the head size vs eye positioning before, so thanks especially for that ^^
    I'll try to apply this to my next drawing, and be sure to be more careful and spend more time to make sure things are proportional and lined up correctly. Thanks a lot for the advice ^_^

Also I definitely recommend you use guidelines. A center line is usually extremely helpful, along with divisions of the head. I used to divide the head into four sections, it would help me get a good ratio of features, so nothing looked out of place. And take you time, a piece takes me at least half an hour and that's really rushing it, unless I'm just going through a bunch of poses without fleshing out the forms. And no need to thank us, we just like to help people

Also, no need for the gozaimasu, a simple arigatou will do for me

Also I definitely recommend you use guidelines. A center line is usually extremely helpful, along with divisions of the head. I used to divide the head into four sections, it would help me get a good ratio of features, so nothing looked out of place. And take you time, a piece takes me at least half an hour and that's really rushing it, unless I'm just going through a bunch of poses without fleshing out the forms. And no need to thank us, we just like to help people

Also, no need for the gozaimasu, a simple arigatou will do for me
    Guidelines sound like a good idea ^_^ I'll make use of them next time I draw.
    The reason I thank people is because honestly, if someone uses their time for the sole purpose of getting other people to improve something they're working on, they really deserve it. But it may seem a little excessive, I guess ^_^

No, no, and no! A lot of great artists learn by copying others, and there is absolutely no harm in it.
    This should be rephrase I feel like, A lot of great artists learn by carefully analysing works and technique of greater artist and life it self by doing life study. Therefore there is no harm in using reference if you are drawing something unfamiliar. Its only natural that we cant draw what we cant see. As long as you are not copying an idea/ design from another artist and claiming its your work, you are fine. A lot of artist (including professionals) would try to replicate painting of their favourite artist just for studying, but they usually never show them. I know this because Eric D Martin, told us during his class in CGMA

As for your latest sketch, I feel like you are paying too much attention to the features as oppose to the general shape of the figure.

It looks as though you have Anime-nize him. Try to focus more on the shapes and curves of the head, break things down into simpler shapes to help you with this. Try not to focus too much on the features like beard, glasses etc, but more on how the head looks like in that angle, the way the forehead flow into the chicks, etc. You will learn more that way. My version kinda failed as well, but I hope you can get the general idea.

Quote Originally Posted by doghateburger View Post
    This should be rephrase I feel like, A lot of great artists learn by carefully analysing works and technique of greater artist and life it self by doing life study. Therefore there is no harm in using reference if you are drawing something unfamiliar. Its only natural that we cant draw what we cant see. As long as you are not copying an idea/ design from another artist and claiming its your work, you are fine. A lot of artist (including professionals) would try to replicate painting of their favourite artist just for studying, but they usually never show them. I know this because Eric D Martin, told us during his class in CGMA

As for your latest sketch, I feel like you are paying too much attention to the features as oppose to the general shape of the figure.

It looks as though you have Anime-nize him. Try to focus more on the shapes and curves of the head, break things down into simpler shapes to help you with this. Try not to focus too much on the features like beard, glasses etc, but more on how the head looks like in that angle, the way the forehead flow into the chicks, etc. You will learn more that way. My version kinda failed as well, but I hope you can get the general idea.
    Seeing the images compared side by side + the redline is pretty eye opening. It's definitely true that I'm focusing on facial details rather than overall shapes. The most likely reason that I've been doing this is that those features are some of the easy things to put in to create likeness to the photo, but while I was so distracted with doing that I forgot about the foundations, making the end product a lot worse than it could be. Tomorrow I will attempt to re-draw the picture, this time paying attention to the structure.

so, things people have told me to work on/change:
    1-Use non lined paper ^_^
    2-Pay attention to alignment on the face (e.x. eyes).
    3-Spend more time on each drawing. This leads into the below:
    4-Focus on the underlying shapes and curves/angles rather than just facial features.

Using the tips from people on my latest drawing, I created a new version of the drawing that I think is noticeably better.

10/3/13 - Drawing of a Friend #3
    SPOILER! :

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

I also looked at doghateburger's redline for help. Thanks a lot for that! It was quite useful.

Last edited by Icy; 10-03-2013 at 06:54 PM.

That's... Pretty good. Awesome, in fact. Left eye looks a bit wonky, but overall good job.
    The powerful play goes on, and you... May contribute a verse.

Already looking better!

The eye on the left is a little too high. The glasses lense on the same side is too long in width. The brow and forehead is lacking. The mouth looks a little low and it's not centered to the nose. The eye on the right should be tilted down to the right to be in line with the face. The ear's a little low and really misshapen. Don't be afraid to make the nose more angular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!