Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Icy's Beginner Artwork ^_^;;

Quote Originally Posted by UnmeiOTsukuru View Post
    I actually find MS paint is surprisingly good for inking and colouring, but there is a specific way to do it! Hard to explain, so here is a link to someone on YouTube who explains it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAEroeVSdBU
    The program is free, so I would recommend trying it!
    Sound's interesting. I'll check it out! ^_^ Thanks !

I would suggest working on giving a little more meat to the arms and legs, but then again it all comes back down to proportions and anatomy. I realize anatomy is incredibly difficult, especially when you change it stylistically, so take a look at some manga artists and how they go about drawing, some of the people on here are great artists to use for reference. In the end though, just keep at it! As long as you keep at it, as well as doing lots of studies, you'll keep improving. Best of luck, from one novice to another!

Quote Originally Posted by Iaidoka View Post
    I would suggest working on giving a little more meat to the arms and legs, but then again it all comes back down to proportions and anatomy. I realize anatomy is incredibly difficult, especially when you change it stylistically, so take a look at some manga artists and how they go about drawing, some of the people on here are great artists to use for reference. In the end though, just keep at it! As long as you keep at it, as well as doing lots of studies, you'll keep improving. Best of luck, from one novice to another!
    The thinness of the arms/legs was one of my main concerns after I had scanned the images. Thanks for reinforcing that theory. Next time I'll definitely try to fix that.

And yeah, proportions and anatomy are tough T_T Thankfully I'm not planning on giving up any time soon, so hopefully I will improve sooner or later ^_^

Thanks for the tip~~

EDIT: 3rd self drawing added.
    EDIT: 4th self drawing added.
    Last edited by Icy; 09-29-2013 at 08:30 PM.

The way you are using your reference is kinda incorrect...for now. From what I can tell, you are using the pose from the image, and you are filling in the blanks with your imagination. Which can be a good exercise, but not at your current level. Try to focus more on getting the figure down by drawing as what the reference is. Like the sketch (A) in the red line I did for you:-

The reason is at your learning stage, its kinda pointless to use reference that way. You wont be benefiting anything by doing this. Instead why not use a full body snapshot of yourself, and learn the figure from there. Or even using pictures of models is fine as well. Just make sure you are drawing what the reference is and not using it the way you are now.

Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by doghateburger View Post
    The way you are using your reference is kinda incorrect...for now. From what I can tell, you are using the pose from the image, and you are filling in the blanks with your imagination. Which can be a good exercise, but not at your current level. Try to focus more on getting the figure down by drawing as what the reference is. Like the sketch (A) in the red line I did for you:-

The reason is at your learning stage, its kinda pointless to use reference that way. You wont be benefiting anything by doing this. Instead why not use a full body snapshot of yourself, and learn the figure from there. Or even using pictures of models is fine as well. Just make sure you are drawing what the reference is and not using it the way you are now.

Keep it up!
    When I draw these, what usually ends up happening is that I try to draw the pose in the image but I manage to just make it look way off, and instead of correcting it I usually just go with how I drew it rather than the image I'm trying to represent. What you said makes a lot of sense; I'm going to have to correct my images more and try to make the pose/position more like the image rather than something I come up with by happenstance. Thanks a lot for the tip and the red line drawing!

EDIT: New drawing of a friend added!
    EDIT: Two new drawings added!!!
    Last edited by Icy; 10-01-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Those last two are really good! I can see you are improving.
    On the last one, try making the shoulder on the left side slightly larger. Other than that, good work!
    ''When you do something wrong, it is not a mistake. It is a lesson.''

Hey, just some general advice that would really help people critique your art more effective: Post new work on a new post, not the first page. This way, we won't have to flip back and forth or open new tabs to see your work and critique it
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Quote Originally Posted by UnmeiOTsukuru View Post
    Those last two are really good! I can see you are improving.
    On the last one, try making the shoulder on the left side slightly larger. Other than that, good work!
    Sounds pretty reasonable. Thanks for the advice & comment ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    Hey, just some general advice that would really help people critique your art more effective: Post new work on a new post, not the first page. This way, we won't have to flip back and forth or open new tabs to see your work and critique it
    That's definitely great advice. It will probably help quite a bit. I think I will post new artwork both as a new post and by updating the original post, because I like having a complete record somewhere. In any case, thanks ^_^
    Last edited by Icy; 10-02-2013 at 05:24 PM.

New drawing.

10/2/13 - Drawing of a Friend #2
    SPOILER! :

This one I feel looks pretty close to the original, but I think I made the head a bit misshapen, possibly too round? Also it's not so detailed. As a side note, I feel like I might be becoming a bit of a copy artist, my drawings always look way better when I'm doing one with reference from a photo than just trying to create a character V__V I need to work on that...

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

Last edited by Icy; 10-02-2013 at 06:59 PM.

No, no, and no! A lot of great artists learn by copying others, and there is absolutely no harm in it. It's a great way to see how you're coming along, to draw what you see. It takes a good amount of skill and patience to be able to replicate a drawing perfectly, never shun the reference!

Sorry for all that, but reference is never something to be afraid of. Now maybe if you had been at this for like 10 years only copying others then I would agree with you. But you are right about the head, just above the eye is the brow line, as the eyes are sunken into the head. Also I feel you could have turned his head more to the left as we don't see too much of that side of the face. Other than that, keep up the drawing!