Thread: Icy's Beginner Artwork ^_^;;

Threaded View

Icy's Beginner Artwork ^_^;;

WAZAP!

Hey there. I'm Adam "Icy", a new member here. This is the place where I am going to post all my drawings/pictures/artwork/whatever. I'm at a very beginner level, so keep that in mind.

Also! You can be literally as harsh as you want. I will never get annoyed or angry. And if you're the type of person who tries to be super tactile and indirect so as to not sadden someone, you definitely don't need to worry about that here. Just say what you really think, and I will be very happy. Criticism is the greatest gift one can give.

Please note that when you give a tip on a drawing, I will apply that knowledge the next time I draw something which can use what you told me; I wont modify existing artwork (mostly because I think it's a lot of effort to make, seeing as I can just use it the next time I draw).

And now, on to actual artwork.

September 2013
    SPOILER! :
    9/20/13
    SPOILER! :

First "drawing -> scan -> edit with GIMP" picture that I did. The hair is really badly done here;; This was an experimental shading technique where I colored black and then smudged outwardly~~. It turned out a bit messy.

9/21/13
    SPOILER! :

Second drawing. This was originally black and white, but I tried a very experimental method to color it. It turned out a bit strange, but I think it's somewhat OK. I think the hand/arm that I drew looks terrible, and the shading/coloring can use a lot of work; it's very messy and just seems to go everywhere.

9/22/13
    SPOILER! :

Significant departure from my previous style. I attempted a minimalist drawing, with some experimental coloring and highlight effects. I also tried a new method of (1-layer) shading, using some tones (not that visible). This method takes much less time.
    I think his face is too long (mouth is too far down, making it a bit out of proportion?), and the left eye is somewhat too small.

9/24/13 - Practice Sketch of Some Hands

SPOILER! :

Since I'm ridiculously bad at drawing hands, I decided to just do a random sketch using my own hand as reference. These two aren't meant to be on the same person. Also~~ignore the random doodle in the back.

They are still very terrible, but that's to be expected given the fact that this was just a practice sketch. I'm going to read up/look at tutorials and so forth on hands and arms now.

9/26/13 - Self Drawing #1
    SPOILER! :

In an effort to combine both learning proportions and anatomy, I'm going to attempt to draw myself daily using a picture as reference for a while. I believe this will help me get a better overall sense of proportions and so forth. My goal at the end of this little project would probably be to be able to draw myself without any photo, and more importantly to give myself a lot of practice at drawing proportions as they really are. Future plans may include drawing someone else from an image repeatedly (for the same reasons). I will still be studying/practicing on drawing general anatomy (with help of my awesome Gray's Anatomy book) along this project. These drawings will not necessarily be too detailed or edited much, because it's just to give an overall sense of proportion/anatomy.

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

I took way too little time to create symmetry... shoulders and arms are ridiculously uneven. I look really stupid in general here .___. Also, the hands are looking a bit better than in my previous drawings, but I still need to work on them a lot. In any case, it's the first drawing, and it looks nothing like me T_T. Side note: some features are drawn in a more manga style purposefully.

9/27/13 - Self Drawing #2
    SPOILER! :

Second self-draw. The pose I am sitting in doesn't make much sense, but that's probably because I drew everything below the face without reference and I had to make up how I would be sitting. At least it doesn't look TOO ridiculous. I think this one resembles me significantly more than my first drawing, but I still have a lot of work to do. I tried to apply Gaff's hair tip, and also to darken the lines a bit more. The hands and lower arms look quite strange, perhaps they're too thin.

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

9/28/13 - Self Drawing #3
    SPOILER! :

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

This had potential, but I made the upper body way too short and the legs just aren't that good... Somewhat better than the last one, though. Also, I need someone to teach me how to actually do clothing lines; at the moment it's just random lines that don't seem to fit at all T_T

9/29/13 - Self Drawing #4

SPOILER! :

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

My favorite one so far. The arms look a bit uneven and possibly too thin, however.

9/30/13 - Drawing of a Friend
    SPOILER! :

I think I will halt on my self-drawings for a while. In the absence of those, I'm going to draw (with references) some people I know.
    This one turned out pretty nicely; I think I captured the expression fairly well and the clothing lines are better than usual. It's not very detailed, however, and I think there's quite a few errors with facial symmetry.

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

October 2013
    SPOILER! :

10/1/13 - Two Drawings
    SPOILER! :

There are pretty much no details and very little shading in these. They're mainly just practice towards getting anatomy and proportions to look reasonable.

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

10/2/13 - Drawing of a Friend #2
    SPOILER! :

This one I feel looks pretty close to the original, but I think I made the head a bit misshapen, possibly too round? Also it's not so detailed. As a side note, I feel like I might be becoming a bit of a copy artist, my drawings always look way better when I'm doing one with reference from a photo than just trying to create a character V__V I need to work on that...

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

10/3/13 - Drawing of a Friend #3
    SPOILER! :

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

I also looked at doghateburger's redline for help. Thanks a lot for that! It was quite useful.

10/4/13 - Drawing of a Girl
    SPOILER! :

Another pencil drawing, this time of a girl (my sister, if you care). For being the first time I use a girl as a reference photo for these drawings, I think it turned out somewhat OK, but there is something unsettling about it that I can't quite pinpoint. The eyes look a bit creepy, maybe? I'm not sure. Also, I modified the expression a bit because it just didn't seem to make any sense when I tried to draw it (her mouth is kind of "sad" but the raising of her eyebrows make it less sad and more neutral; when I drew it she just looked angry, so I gave a generic smile and fairly straight eyebrow).

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

10/5/13 - Reality Check (No Reference)
    SPOILER! :

Decided to attempt to draw a guy, this time without any reference, to see if I've improved from my reference drawings.
    The result was meh, but I believe it is better than my first few non-reference ones.

10/6/13 - Less Realistic Drawing
    SPOILER! :

Another attempt at a more manga-esque drawing. I used a few references, including my own past drawings plus a few of Rio's tutorials on this site. In the end I think this is almost OK at best, but not really impressive and probably proportionally terrible.

10/7/13 - Sketch
    SPOILER! :

10/9/13 - Guy Drawing and Random Anatomy Sketches
    SPOILER! :

Sorry about the angles on these, as I said I didn't intend to make them for viewing when I drew them ...

up and down T_T

Ignore the random doodles on the bottom...

10/14/13 - L Drawing
    SPOILER! :

10/15/13 - Second Tablet Drawing
    SPOILER! :

10/23/13 - Hoodie Guy ^_^
    SPOILER! :

November 2013
    SPOILER! :

11/7/13 - Several Things
    SPOILER! :

(yes, I know the eyes are different shapes) Also, ignore the random doodles in the back

Awkward drawing of a kid riding a bicycle. Yes, I'm aware the pedals are invisible and that the wheels aren't perfect circles.

Uneven eyes again ^^

scanner messed up on me

11/16/13 - 2 Drawings
    SPOILER! :

December 2013
    SPOILER! :

12/2/13
    SPOILER! :

12/4/13
    SPOILER! :

12/5/13 - DAT ECCHI NSFW !!
    SPOILER! :

12/6/13
    SPOILER! :

12/11/13 - Redraw
    SPOILER! :

Before (circa 9/29/13)
    SPOILER! :

Today (12/11/13)
    SPOILER! :

Nose & mouth is probably pretty weak, but about 10 minutes of erasing and redrawing didn't seem to help it. Next time I draw this type of more realistic thing I'll have to actually look that up.

March 2014
    SPOILER! :

3/29/14 **somewhat nsfw**
    SPOILER! :

References
    SPOILER! :
    (for the arm-behind-head position)
    http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials...--vector-11608 (for bed folds)
    also used another random female drawing reference, can't remember the page though :/

Last edited by Icy; 03-29-2014 at 04:23 PM.