Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manga Covers

Hybrid View

Manga Covers

Reg has been thinking really hard about what makes a decent manga cover recently. Is a really flashy image of the main character actually the best option, or is something more unussual and hyper-detailed the best way to go to make the series stand out?... Hell, you could even argue that a really plain, undetailed cover is the best since it's less embarassing to buy in a store or, say, read on the bus.

What do you guys think? Feel free to hotlink images of cool-ass covers just for the hell of it, too. ;I

Reg's faves;
    SPOILER! :

(Makes me look like a gun nut, lul. There were just alot I couldn't find online. >_>)
    Last edited by Regantor; 01-19-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    I like one's that have good composition and color because I think those two are the most important. It doesn't matter if it's a detailed drawing or something simple.

I think that cover for Mail looks great. I would say, for me, something really stylistic looks really good. A lot of the time, simplistic designs can be the most eye catching.

One of my favorite covers is

Though I'm not sure why.

Now I don't know about manga, but in america you usually have a different artist do the cover. This way you can have variant covers, or have a chance to go crazy and draw something that wouldn't fit into the normal flow of the comic.

It's also a good chance to show off your art and say hey read this comic, it is better drawn than the one next to it.

Or you can go the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure route and just make covers so gay you can't help but want to see what's going on in it.

Huh. I guess you guys have a point in that a unique style (including colour use) makes things alot more memorable. It just seems like a weird balancing act sometimes because it's the only place you generally see the characters in colour; Some of my favorate alita covers, for instance the one below, have extremely little relation to the story. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing...

Ah, and this one;

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Yeah, I notice that some artists create covers that relate to the story inside (One Piece does that, for instance) while others just do some random cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    What do you guys think? Feel free to hotlink images of cool-ass covers just for the hell of it, too. ;I

Reg's faves;
    SPOILER! :

(Makes me look like a gun nut, lul. There were just alot I couldn't find online. >_>)
    Wow, you have covered almost half of my favourite mangas(and their covers).

You forget this:
    SPOILER! :

And this:
    SPOILER! :

It's the cover that gave me the interest to read it.
    Last edited by Electric_Nomad; 01-21-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Huh, wow. I've seen the anime, but didn't know Genocyber even had a manga version... Doroheredo I did. That one is my bad.

As for making random covers, I guess the artist has gotta get bored of drawing the same thing at some point. It just seems weird changing the character the one time you actually get to draw them in colour...

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Huh, wow. I've seen the anime, but didn't know Genocyber even had a manga version... Doroheredo I did. That one is my bad.
    Yep. And you have a good taste in choosing your mangas. And yes, go get Genocyber's manga.

I don't know, but I like this cover. There is nothing on it, but I like the font and the colour used for it, and they way the are placed.
    SPOILER! :

And this one always had that feeling...
    SPOILER! :

Just one more
    SPOILER! :
    Last edited by Electric_Nomad; 01-25-2011 at 11:04 AM.

101 Dalmations Member MiguelAndrew's Avatar
    For a cover,it must reflect the overall Idea of the manga, just like a book but with pictures/drawings on it. And it will be totally unique if the manga itself is interesting.