Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Empire of Gunzeticus

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    @Toast: Lol I've never been good at value until now xD...so naw, this is the first time you said that...I think you got value mixed with detail. Thankyou.

@Bacon: What type of cheese? String cheese is BEAST!....anyway, YES, TF will be returning soon, I'm working on it >_> I've been really busy lately.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    @Bacon: What type of cheese? String cheese is BEAST!....anyway, YES, TF will be returning soon, I'm working on it >_> I've been really busy lately.
    Cheese as in ... Mozerella?

Yeah, it's understandable. Dont you start College in the Fall? (Still a ways off, I know.)
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

That's some pretty epic eyecandy Gunz!
    i'm pretty curious what it'll look like when it's done...
    BTW, is it me or are you mainly inspired by Gears of War and Unreal 3?

@Bacon: I was supposed to be in college a week ago, but stupid financial aid made some mess ups....twice now. So I've been dropped 3 times now, and I'm just gonna do late start classes...which I'm hoping I survive.

@Hell_Baron: Ya got meh. Yes my art is mainly inspired by Gears and UT3...and various other scifi games and crap. I picked up the style when I was surfing around Conceptart.org and found James Hawkins (aka Hawkprey) Who did concept art for Gears and UT3, and he's been a huge inspiration since...plus I wanna work for Epic or Midway Games one day.

101 Dalmations Member Lady_Knife's Avatar
    GunZet, you mad genius you, what have you been eating/drinking? (or what have they've been feeding you here?)

Your stuff has improved so much! I like what I see in this thread, very impressive. Hope to witness more amazing creative mind madness from you soon!

(So many people has hit the button on their level up rocket. I gotta build mine as well!)

I've been drinking water, and eating hotdogs...both highly irradiated.
    Thankyou! xD

Here's Child's Play, finally finished.
    I don't like it much, but it was sure an adventure...I worked on this a few hours over the course of four days, so maybe about 7+ hrs put into this.

This was mainly done to try and do what Cype suggested, work on showing 'color' through 'value' Meh...anyway.
    I'll upload the grayscale later.

No idea how many times I've erased parts and replaced and re-did...Mainly I took out her arm holding the SMG, one earring off the kitten, and her wings are gone.

Great concept as always mate!. I really like the great balance in the hardness and softness of your pictures. And the dinks and scratches are well made.

Now I know you use the Greyscale and the Overlay method, which is a good and fast method to use, but the problem here is that your colours will appear to be somewhat flat looking or a lack of tone and saturation in my experience. Especially in the highlight areas. it just goes white. And every if you were too add any sort of light like the ones in the eyes and arm, they don't have enough richness in them.

You need to add more vibrant colours to it, make it look more solid, more like your own painting rather than something made with a program. Heres what I would do,

Create a new layer above the overlay layer. From here, add "hand picked colours" in other words colours with different value or saturation that you picked from the palette and paint on top yourself. This way you'll get more richness in the painting, or another way of doing this is, instead of just using on overlay layer, you was actually first, use a Multiple layer to get the base colour down, THEN use an overlay layer on top of that to get the high lights.

Ok, heres what I got, Chest Plate and the Crouch guard? O_o, i dunno, I hand pick colours to paint over these. I added a secondary colour to bring out the picture a lot more, giving it more depth, as you can say.
    The lights in its eyes has been given more colours, orange, red, yellow, white, all in the hue..y way, I guess. As for the shoulder piece, I just created an overlay layer, and colour it with light blue to give it that highlight effect.

Hope these help dude C:

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the lighting around the eye would have spread all over the face, meaning the facial area that is parallel to the lights, will be bouncing off the lights.
    Last edited by doghateburger; 01-28-2011 at 02:56 PM.

I like your latest. Very nicely done and moody. I know it was mainly an exercise in value but I second the comment above about more vibrant colors. Have you ever checked out www.idrawgirls.com? The blog there has an interesting approach towards painting in photoshop. I believe the artist that writes it is a concept artist in the gaming industry. At any rate, thought you may find it interesting since you're into concept art. I'm considering trying to apply his techniques in my own artwork.

@DHB: Thanks! I'm still getting a hang of this...as for fast? HELL NO! lol I'm not too used to taking hours and hours and hours on something, but it's worth it.
    Now as for the issues with the colors...I've come to liking very desaturated colors, I don't know why, I just don't dig the whole vibrant look too much (I even play my games like that). But in the case of this pic, you're right, it doesn't stand out much.
    I'll try out what you suggested in future drawings, thanks for the tips. And epic re-color!

@Nisaren: I check out the Idrawgirls blog a lot, and I've learned some stuff from him, but I don't often stick to it. I do whatever is more comfortable for me, ya know? But he's got some damned good techniques that I still use now.
    Also thanks buddy

Oh, I see, in that cast you'll love /ukitakumuki.

In that case, I would suggest reducing the amount of white as highlights, simply because white is a strong colour. Try using Low value tone instead, and only use white for that really really shiny areas. ;D