Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Empire of Gunzeticus

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.

Great Empire of Gunzeticus

Ohai gaiz...figured I'd get used to this MT and make a crit thread.
    Crit away if you wish, today I have a nice serving of value practice, right out the oven.
    Please, eat, enjoy.

*takes one and chews* ^^
    *looks at the wood through the nose* 0_0
    hehe ^_^

well, I'm not sure since I'm not good in anatomy, but I feel that the neck muscle on the left must be shifted a bit to the left.

You're doing well, Gunzet.

Nice job with the values. I usually find myself looking at your pieces when you find the time to post on DA. You generally have really interesting anatomy that works for the subjects of your pictures. My only problem with your piece above is that you use too soft a brush which makes it look like I'm squinting at the picture. Iirc, your goal is to do more conceptual art. I'm sure you've looked through conceptart.org but I'd like to point out this one thread that I read on painting in photoshop. I think that what is said in it applies to any other art program that you may be using. Maybe you've already seen and read it, but I think it may be worth taking a look at again. I look forward to seeing more.

@Yara: Ah thankyou. I tried to just make a simple face with a certain style of mine, so I didn't really pay much attention to the other anatomy stuff. Other than the shape of the face.
    @Nisaren: Thanks, I've been really trying to nail these values lately.
    As for the soft brush thing. I can't help it! :C whenever I think I'm sharpening things up, it just looks bad to me and I soften it. But I'll really try and work on this.
    Thanks for the link too, I'll check it out.

Grayscale value version

With colors. The colored parts are on an overlay or color layer...I forgot.

This took HOURS, initially I was just going to leave it as a drawing. But I figured, hell...this has a lot of detail already, why not do more value practice

Very nice man. I like the clear defined lines and sharp edges you used in this one. I don't feel like I'm squinting anymore.

Gunz. You have obtained a new level. I will never catch up. QAQ

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    All of it is quite good, but one area of particular excellence is the chest area in the colored version. The colors, values and textures work well together there. It looks very polished and the rim lighting on those "nipple vents" is particularly sharp and detailed. But one thing I noticed is that you're still rather dependent on lines for detailing. That makes certain parts look scratchy and cartoon-ish. A good way to get out of that habit is to take a fully organic character, stylized, and try to render it with value. You'll feel the temptation to draw things in line, but force yourself to avoid using anything smaller than 3pt.

But definitely a step above your previous stuff. Your shading on large, broad shapes (ie. the pecs) is top notch. You just need to work on shading the intricacies.

@Nisaren: Thanks, that link you gave me helped out a lot actually.
    @Jai: Nah man. You gotta WANT to catch up, it's still possible.....for now
    @Cype: Thanks a lot bro. Well, I do really like lines, as I don't often do this kind of stuff. So yes. As a result, I rely on lines to get my point across xD. I'm actually working on doing that with an organic character right now. So I'll see how that turns out.
    Anyway, thanks again. Appreciate the comments peeps.

Those are some pretty insane works you got there. I love the robotic armor-type one the best. Your value and use of color is simply astounding, and I envy you for that. The only thing I can suggest is possibly to make your lines cleaner, but that is a struggle in and of itself.

Nevertheless, this is awesome stuff. Lovin' it!
    ~ BACK WITH THE TRACKMASTERS ~