Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Empire of Gunzeticus

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Flat colors are always the hardest part, aren't they? XD But even still, I love the palette. And the Thing 1 and Thing 2 thing (lol) is probably one of my favorites from you!

Hey Gunzet,

I've been following your thread for some time to see what I can offer you in terms of critique. For the most part, you have the basics down and everything.

My recommendation for you is to find ways to speed up your process. In your military guy example, when you are painting the flat tones, I noticed that you are painting it by sections (based on the arm and the elbow pads). Not saying that it's wrong or anything like that. However, it is time consuming based on your own replies.

To speed this up, paint the entire body right underneath it. Create layers that will apply right over the body like clothing, etc. Repeat as necessary for all the flat colors.

I can show you by example from an article I did on character designs located at http://www.2d-digital-art-guide.com/...r-designs.html

The final picture:

This one has about 7 flat color layers to her character: skin, shirt, skirt (and boots), trench coat, hair, hair at the back, and one lighting/shadow layer once it has been converted to a smart object.

Each of these flat layers can pile additional layers through clipping masks. This method of organization should speed up your workflow dramatically. Let me know if it helps you out.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    You're right, I do color everything in sections. And thanks for the tips.
    I prefer coloring in parts though, even if it takes me a really long time, I just like that extra bit of control you know? With very minimal cleanup.
    I was never one to color much anyway.
    I will try your method in the future though, thanks!

duuuude, Gunz. GUNZ.
    why are you so cool?,. that big dude's colours are pretty cool. I think the subdued colours go with the flat shading. D: unless..you're planning on adding more fancier shading?
    plus, awesome Thing 1 and Thing 2 D: Dr. Seuss would be prouuud ;a;a;a;

I'm planning on doing some flat shading also, maybe with some fuzzy bits here and there. And lol, I think he'd be freaked out, AND AMAZED. xD, thanks E.

Ok so I know I haven't posted in a bit, homework is devouring me. But I did manage to doodle these out before class started.
    Still heavily influenced by Clem atm.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    Lovin' the style, especially on that last one. However, the legs in both pictures seem to be rather short and generally tiny. Is that stylistic or unintentional? Also the neck and traps on that first guy are enormous. o - o

The detail though. It's pretty damn awesome.

Lol, it's the style. If you haven't checked out
    Clemente Suave, google some of his stuff, you'll see what I'm doing. Or at least going fore. He uses these crazy perspectives that usually distorts the anatomy...well his stuff his generally crazyily huge anyway.

Either way these were both like 10 min sketches or so lol. Thanks Tay.

10 min sketches?? Seriously? Good lord man, I'm jealous. I wish I could put out detailed art that quickly. I'm sure it's a style choice on your part but the first guy seems to have his eyes located really high on his head. It doesn't make the sketch look bad, but it wouldn't have been my preference for placement. Or if you're going for the long nose and face, maybe give him a bigger forehead so it doesn't look as odd.

Lol, once you practice detail for the longest time, it gets hard to go back to simpler things. Which can be a good or bad thing haha.
    And yea, I noticed that too. The small forehead thing is something I usually look over, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Nisaren.

I think I should really start practicing faces again, with reference. I feel like I keep drawing the same faces over and over again. Time to improve the variety.

Those there are some lots of guns. I like the bottom one... lots of guns.... I think it needs more guns.