Thread: Iori's 91 degree art skills progress (Safe for work)

Iori's 91 degree art skills progress (Safe for work)

91 degrees = a really steep incline, so that's what my progress in artistic ability is

I started drawing from level 0 around January, after having drawn a ridiculously low amount as child.

I've worked my way up to being able to draw real life things and copy drawings decently, so for a while, that's all it'll be in here. Drawings of real life, or copies of drawings/photos.

My short-term goal is to get good enough to take part in a the 100 theme challenge by the end of the year.

My long term goal is comic book artist/mangaka
    SPOILER! :
    I know that'll take a huge mountain of effort, but I plan on trying.

Help me improve!

So, let's get this thing going.

Remember that these are all copies.

I was able to find the originals (or close to them) on the internet, though what I copied was from actual books.

The cover of the Howl's Moving Castle artbook, in April. The book had the same picture on the inside, so I used that for the middle parts, since the lettering covers part of the center.
    SPOILER! :

Theirs:

I suggest you visit this link though, because ^that one got a bit shrunk and less good looking.

Observations: I made it too squat, it's not tall enough, so I actually had to cut out a few of the less important parts. I actually improved as time went while doing this drawing, so certain parts are better than others, depending on what I did before/after.

Yukishiro Enishi, from Rurouni Kenshin.
    SPOILER! :

Not the original I copied, but it's the same outfit, at least.

Mine:

Didn't pay enough attention to his arm muscles, so especially his right arm looks weird. The sizing of the arms is also off.

Piccolo, from Dragon Ball Z.
    SPOILER! :
    Original (reversed):

Mine:

L from Death Note:
    SPOILER! :
    Original:

Mine:

I shouldn't have gotten lazy and tried to invert his hair color. His face is wrong, so this guy looks more like L's brother. The angles on his left (our right) side are way to acute, so he's leaning in my copy, which he wasn't really doing in the original.
    Last edited by Iori; 06-28-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Loving the fan arts I would say for L that you have made the head to small for the proportions of the L character, unless you were deliberately making his proportions more elongated I would suggest sticking to the actual proportions of the character. I also suggest using guidelines for the heads if you didn't so you can get the shape of the head easier rather than just copying it straight from the picture it will also help you with placements of eyes and the mouth etc for example on the Piccolo picture his nose is much lower than it should be if you study pictures of the character. hope this helped
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 06-28-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks for posting.

I updated my post with the originals.

On the L drawing, I made him too tall, and ran out of paper for his head

Edit: I like emotes
    Last edited by Iori; 06-28-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iori View Post
    On the L drawing, I made him too tall, and ran out of paper for his head
    You should draw the head first, then the body. This makes it easier to get the proportions right

RUROKEN!!!!!!!!!

i've noticed that most of your lines are quite angular. try to make your strokes smother as this will ake your people seem more real+ give them more volume and depth on the page

nice work so far

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    You should draw the head first, then the body. This makes it easier to get the proportions right
    On the other hand, it's far more usual that people start with the head and the run out of paper for the feet and legs. Either way, just make a loose sketch before you begin to draw seriously to make sure that everything fits. Observational drawing should be like 90% observation and 10% drawing.

Thanks for the posts so far, errbody.

I should be able to have another drawing up by tomorrow, today if I push myself (which might well be a good thing to do).

So I have been doing some drawing, I just haven't uploaded stuff in forever.

Though I haven't been drawing as much as I should, I've been buying supplies and art books without actually drawing anything >_>

Anyway, the format will be like before.

SPOILER! :
    This one I did without putting in too much effort. Pay extra attention to the "feet".

What it should look like:

What it does look like:

SPOILER! :
    Another "Not too much effort". Which I must say, is more enjoyable than trying to copy as closely as possible.

SPOILER! :
    Here's one I'm quite proud of. Scanning it into the computer makes it look a little less awesome, but anyway:

As I said inside the spoilers for the second drawing, Not putting in as much effort seems to be more fun. And not that I shouldn't be putting in effort, but I do think that not trying so hard to get the copy exactly right might actually help my abilities, because I'll be able to draw more when I'm not working so hard on the details, and it might give me more appreciation for how certain parts of a drawing need to be to look right.

Any thoughts on that?

EDIT:

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

Last edited by Iori; 08-25-2012 at 05:02 PM.