Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 151

Thread: Negative Body Image

  1. #71
    Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Because people love to feel better about themselves by victimising others. Sadism itt
    I don't even think it's sadism. I honestly think it's just insane egotism. "I have set standards for what I expect other people to look like, and you have the audacity to defy them."

    Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

  2. #72
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksprout View Post
    see, now you are just saying that fat people are so because they are lazy...
    No, Toast used that as an example and I questioned why that qualified being out of shape? "I'm too lazy" rarely qualifies anything, IRL. It's worse because nobody is telling these people to lose weight. If they're happy being that way, nobody is going to question it. But many overweight people aren't happy with themselves and want others to be ultra-sensitive about it, yet they try to rationalize not fixing it. So why should laziness qualify it? Like I said, that's just being a total hedgehog.

    Like: "my car muffler is broken. Nobody seems to really mind...but I mind. It's loud and it annoys me. But I'm too lazy to fix it...but I swear if anyone says anything about my muffler I'll throw a fit."

    Like do you want to fix it or not? If you don't, stop obligating other people to social platitudes. If you do...well, FIX IT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    "You don't live up to my standards, you fat bastard."
    Yeah I totally said that. Also using horribly off-base judgments as a counter argument to being judgmental.

    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    I have no issues with people being fat and happy. I just don't understand why they expect others to coddle them about it. Nobody is required to help you be confident in yourself. So the idea that it's expected for me to avoid using the word "fat", or avoid mentioning a person's weight for no reason other than to facilitate their ego bothers me, because it's neither an insult nor a judgment, merely an observation.
    C'mon nowwwww~ And unlike "stupid" and "ugly", Kodos. Overweight, obese and "out of shape" have clinical definitions. Doctors will tell you these things. Health professionals will tell you these things. Personal trainers will tell you these things. So pretending like fitness is some standard made up on the fly by bigoted individuals is a horrible argument. Further worsened by the undeniable fact that America has an obesity problem--not an "overweight" problem, but an obesity problem. So let's just pretend like that isn't a problem and the doctors and health officials who tell these people that maybe they're endangering their own health are just total assholes with Adonis complexes.

    This thread has become a great example of itself.

  3. #73
    Super Senior Member Delphinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Yeah I totally said that. Also using horribly off-base judgments as a counter argument to being judgmental.
    I love how you don't engage with my actual argument but call me out on a throwaway line that bears little relevance to the substance of my post. Nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Overweight, obese and "out of shape" have clinical definitions.
    Which you weren't using. You used the term 'fat' and chortled on about how much you love to show a total lack of tact to overweight people. Don't characterise those who oppose you as weak-willed liberals because they disagree with you.

    Hey, you know some other things that have very clear definitions? 'Psychopath', 'hypocrisy', 'avoidance', and 'rationalisation'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

  4. #74
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    I love how you don't engage with my actual argument but call me out on a throwaway line that bears little relevance to the substance of my post. Nice.
    Actually I quoted you something I said pages back that directly contradicted your assertion lol.

    Which you weren't using.
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    I don't understand modern views on negative body image...

    One thing I hear over and over is "every man/woman deserves to feel good about their body". And I agree. But why the hell does that involve having other people spoonfeed them compliments and lying to them? If a person is out of shape, I'm not obligated to tell them that they aren't.
    Are you even being serious right now? That's the FIRST post in the whole thread.

    You used the term 'fat' and chortled on about how much you love to show a total lack of tact to overweight people.
    I don't ever recall saying I enjoyed calling people "fat". At this point I'm convinced that you're just being facetious.

  5. #75
    If you don't look like this;

    Then hit the Gym fatty.

  6. #76
    Super Senior Member Delphinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    I don't ever recall saying I enjoyed calling people "fat". At this point I'm convinced that you're just being facetious.
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia
    I just don't understand why they expect others to coddle them about it. Nobody is required to help you be confident in yourself. So the idea that it's expected for me to avoid using the word "fat", or avoid mentioning a person's weight for no reason other than to facilitate their ego bothers me, because it's neither an insult nor a judgment, merely an observation.
    Pay attention to the second part of your own post, which you quoted just now, for the love of God. In addition, the entire argument of the post I made was pointing out why you shouldn't call people fat, because it's imposing your judgement of their weight on them. Why do we even have to go through this? It's like Morals 101 - Why the school bully is a bad boy.

    The reason that calling someone fat is inherently judgemental is because your perception of 'fat' is not objective. Your idea of average/ideal weight is subjective. So calling someone fat implies that you disapprove of them, because it implies their weight is higher than the weight you find acceptable. I don't particularly care if your definition of 'fat' means the same thing as 'clinically overweight'; to most people 'fat' implies a certain level of disapprobation. It's like if you started claiming racist phrases just referred to an OBJECTIVE skin colour. Okay, fine, it means that to you. But don't be surprised if someone decides to kick your ass.

    In addition who the fuck expects you to 'spoonfeed them compliments'? Since when did mentioning people's weight even play a part in conversation? Is this some sort of bizaaro strawman? It would be a strange situation indeed where people were busy obsessing about their weight and expected you to lie to them and tell them they were skinny, which makes me suspect that the entire scene is contrived for you to defend your hatred of people who don't conform to what you think they should look like.

    Every time you make a thread in GD it's characterised by the same things. Bad arguments, you claiming that your opinion is the one TRUE and HONEST opinion to hold, totally fantastic scenarios, strawmen, and lack of empathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

  7. #77
    One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdooperphailmachine View Post
    If you don't look like this;

    Then hit the Gym fatty.
    I dunno, that guy still looks pretty fat to me.

  8. #78
    Super Senior Member Delphinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,351
    Yeah, you'd better look like this or go to hell fatty

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

  9. #79
    Palindrome Member ClockHand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdooperphailmachine View Post
    If you don't look like this;

    Then hit the Gym fatty.
    My dick is not that small, even if its cold. What do I do?

  10. #80
    Fifty Fifty Member Evil_Cake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Undefeated Battle Sheep Champion
    Posts
    5,789
    scissors

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •