Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative Body Image

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Weight does not and never will definitely imply lifestyle—hence, a judgement.

It bothers me more when people try to avoid even saying the word fat around me its like why are you walking on egg-shells I'm a big boy now and I make big boy decisions.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Fat is a description, not an insult. I hate when people say "big boned" and other bizarre things to talk about fatness. Watching them avoid it is super awkward.

Huh never really held back on that.
    Actually as a child I really pissed off one of my foster parents when I walked up to an obese lady and called her fat.

Probably because walking up to people and randomly pointing out their flaws completely unprovoked kind of means you were socially retarded.

Edit: I mean all kids are but you sound like you didn't think that was an odd thing at all

It was the first time I ever saw an obese person if that helps.

I'm horrible with people anyway.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Taylour, I'm thinking that we're just using the word "judgment" differently here. I'm talking about a judgment of character. If you are making logical judgments based on visual cues, I don't see anything wrong with that? If I said "this car is yellow" because it is in fact a car and it is in fact yellow, can I be vilified for that? It might be a little more orange, or a little more red. Who knows. I think it's yellow. By that logic everything is a judgment, but that completely strips "judgment" of its negative connotation. So if you wanna use it that way I don't see anything wrong with making "judgments".

But yeah obviously I'm not saying go around calling all the fat people you know "fat" to try to make them lose weight. I just don't understand why people are so afraid of the word, since it's such an obvious problem in America.

and Seefy, yes. That's true. Weight is not a definite indicator of lifestyle...but like I said we could go around pointing out all of the tiny exceptions all day. It doesn't change the fact that the general trend is that weight is the result of an unhealthy lifestyle (and we're talking "obesity", not just "overweight"). I mean, all demographic data is based on trends, not absolute facts. But it's data nonetheless, and does present us with a general understanding of what the issue is. In other words, it is still the logical deduction to make. I don't see the point in avoiding making a logical deduction for the sake of preserving someone's ego. For example: smoking is another unhealthy habit, which is generally an indicator of nicotine addiction.

But if doctors, family members and peers go around saying, "The logical deduction to make is that my friend is addicted to nicotine and needs help for his own sake, yet it's 'judgmental' to assume that, so I will remain silent under the assumption that maybe he's not really addicted, or that he smokes to relieve stress, or that he only smokes socially--" or a plethora of other common excuses. Then nicotine addicts would never get any help because people are afraid of making logical deductions! You know what I mean?

Besides, assuming someone has a glandular problem or something is just as much a judgment as assuming they're lazy. The latter is just less convenient for them.

I don't understand why people have to use euphemisms for so many words nowadays. Fat shouldn't be an insulting thing, it's just a word that describes a person's appearance. If I have to describe someone that's fat, I'm not going to say "ooh, they're a bit on the heavy side". I'm just going to say they're fat. People give me weird looks as if this is some completely foreign thing to do, but I don't mean it in any kind of malicious way. I'm just describing a person. It's the same as saying someone's tall or short.

I think the massive taboo against calling people fat arose from the fact that people who are genuinely not that over weight, or are a normal healthy weight were getting called out for it, and being called fat because they still were not as thin as people portrayed in the media. This happened to a friend of mine and she is still struggling with an eating disorder 5 years down the track. The whole problem with body image seems to be that its about the image. Its about how you look, not whether or not you are healthy. When people say someone is fat, it is rarely just an observation of their physical appearance, or out of concern for their health. Instead its a remark that implies that that person is ugly, or inferior because of their weight.
    Because of that its become this big deal to say it to or about someone, because to a lot of people being called fat feels the same as being called ugly and any number of other negative connotations the word has picked up. I wish it wasn't like that now though because obesity is such a big health issue, and I myself have found it hard to admit there is a problem with my weight, and harder still to do something about it because I don't want to admit being 'fat'. It seems like everyone is swinging from one extreme, 'everyone who is fat is horrible and should be ridiculed' to 'we aren't allowed to call anyone fat because they will feel bad' when really we should be looking at it from a supportive standpoint so that people who are unhappy with being over a healthy weight can actually talk about it and work on it openly without people either tell them they don't have a weight issue or making fun of them over it.

If you're obese and upset about it you can do something about it though; if you're ugly you can't.