Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative Body Image

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksprout View Post
    No one actually said it was out of laziness except for you.
    Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by toast View Post
    Why walk to the gym to try and lose weight when you can sit here, eat, and watch TV in a more relaxing environment?
    Actually, that's exactly what she was saying. People are stuck in their comfort zones, or in other words, unwilling to put in effort. The rest of the stuff you're saying, I don't even know what you're getting at, really. And no, I never said being thin means being physically fit. Quote me, please. Quote me when I said that. I said being fat is generally observed with being out of shape (medically and diagnostically, not just based on split second judgments). You are just filling in the blanks by yourself and putting words in my mouth. In fact, I even said that I, myself, am overweight, but not out of shape... so why would you even think I said that when my personal situation directly contradicts it?

So calling someone fat implies that you disapprove of them, because it implies their weight is higher than the weight you find acceptable.
    Since when did this become about accepting/not accepting people? Lol. At what point did I even say I don't accept fat people? haha. In fact, I repeated multiple times that I don't mind fat people as long as they aren't trying to censor those around them by being overly defensive. Being happy and fat, to me, is completely fine. In fact, I JUST QUOTED THIS TO YOU. I even said I have many friends who are that way. Wow, dude, you're just like way off somewhere right now I don't even know~

It would be a strange situation indeed where people were busy obsessing about their weight and expected you to lie to them and tell them they were skinny...
    That's essentially the case with having to use euphemisms for "fat" or avoiding the topic of weight altogether, though? You have to pretend like you aren't observing something because it would violate their insecurities... That's actually what this whole thread is about. The shitstorm just took over.

...defend your hatred of people who don't conform to what you think they should look like.
    Yeah, I totally hate fat people. That's totally what this thread is about.

...lack of empathy.
    This is really funny.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    In fact, I even said that I, myself, am overweight, but not out of shape... so why would you even think I said that when my personal situation directly contradicts it?
    Quick question: Is your excess weight due to muscle mass or actual fat?

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    I agree, Cype, why should I have to use euphemisms for the word fat when describing fat people? It's not like words can carry certain negative or offensive meanings. I mean, God, just the other day a gay man was offended when I called him a faggot. Why can't he just grow a pair?

Beep boop I am a robot who cannot understand how words can possibly hurt people and is either incapable or unwilling to make the most insignificant of adjustments to my lifestyle to try and make other people less miserable beep boop.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

First of all you misread what I wrote. This is what I wrote 'As you have already pointed out you don't even have to be thin to be physically fit', so I was pretty much quoting what you had already said about yourself and others and agreeing with you. Perhaps I misinterpreted Toast's post and she is simply saying fat people are lazy. In which case I still disagree. I think that not loosing weight has very little to do with laziness, and a lot more to do with feelings of self consciousness.

Like for example if you have to go to see a doctor about a very embarrassing medical condition, perhaps you feel ashamed because its something like an injury that was the result of you acting irresponsibly in the first place. You would probably go to the doctor and it would be over fairly quickly and you would get some kind of treatment. If you have a weight problem going to the gym or going out jogging is going to feel a lot like that, embarrassing, and you might even feel ashamed because you ended up getting overweight in the first place. Unlike going to the doctor and getting a treatment, weight loss takes a long time and you have to keep going back to the gym and facing that embarrassment and shame every time for months to get results. For this reason I think its hard for people to do anything about their weight even when they are unhappy about it. I don't think that is laziness or has anything to do with laziness. Your saying that getting out of your comfort zone just requires more effort seems like a massive over simplification to me.

The reason why I am going in to all this is just to try and point out exactly why people get defensive when you talk about weight tactlessly. People say they deserve to feel good about themselves because hell, they do. They should feel comfortable enough with their bodies that they can go and work out at a gym without feeling ashamed of themselves. When you go around blurting out things about people's weights they get offended, not because of any judgement you are making but because they themselves feel bad about their weight issues already, and it hurts to have it bluntly pointed out. If you think that's not a good reason to talk about the topic tactfully then please, by all means, go out and discuss your friend's weight issues.

Guys. Cype's problem, again, is not fat people. It's that he can't call them fat. He's arguing that he should be allowed to use whatever terms he wants to describe people, as long as they are objectively true, and that if these words carry a pejorative with them today, due to shifting social trends and mores, then that is a problem for other people and not him.

Frankly, for once, I find myself agreeing with Cype. I mean, it's absurd! Would anyone fault me for calling the mentally handicapped idiots or morons to their face? Why should we have to beat around the bush and call fat people anything other than fat? Next thing you know we won't even be able to call Asians Orientals!

It's political correctness run wild! How dare people think they have the right to take offense at what words we use to describe them!

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

So guys the other day I was walking down the street when I saw my friend. She's kinda flat-chested, and the first thing I notice or care about when I look at someone is their tits. I'm a guy, lol. Anyway I called out to her: "Hey tiny tits" I said, "how's your midget boyfriend?"

So she comes over and she's all like "what the fuck is wrong with you" and I'm like "bitch, I don't see why I should censor my language for you." So she calls me an asshole, which is just stupid because I was giving my TRUE and HONEST opinion. But hey, she's my friend, she laughs it off and forgives me for whatever imaginary offence I just committed. Kinda a frosty start though, so I ask about her mother, since I heard she was ill: "Hey how's that quivering sweat-encrusted mountain of flab doing, I mean your mother?"

So she slaps me and walks off. Women are crazy like that you know, they take offence at stupid shit. Then this black guy comes over...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

i'd lol'd but that is in bad taste, man.

freedom of speech is a fundamental human right so you shouldn't feel that you have to censor stuff for others.
    however, showing sensitivity to others is also important
    if you know a person is insecure about their weight, that blatantly pointing it out will probably be met witha torrent of abuse and defensiveness/denial.
    not really good for you or them
    use any term you want to describe a person, but understand their views on the subject/term before you go dicking around with it.
    could salvage some relationships that were going up in smoke before
    euphamisms don't help anything either.
    they are confusing and alot of meanings can be inffered from a single word. best to stick with things that are clear,concise and sometimes blunt. atleast everyone will know what you mean

and i personally think fat, happy people are awesome. they are the best kind of people. the ones who sincerly don't give a shit about your opinion on how the look. it don't affect them.
    awesome

Kodos you still haven't been able to make the distinction between the terms "idiot" and "fat". That is a judgment of character versus a plain-sight observation. As you would say, "you are being deliberately obtuse". And I like how you went from accusing me of being a dick with an Adonis complex a page ago and now you're saying something else.

And Inksprout, yeah, sorry, I did misread your post. My bad. And understand that I'm not actually like going around calling random people fat, like many of you seem to think. It's stupid that any of you would actually even think that. Nobody even does that, realistically. Seriously. That's why I'm getting a little annoyed with people filling in the blanks on their own. I just mean that if you were talking about weight with an overweight person, you shouldn't have to tip-toe around the fact. "Dude, you're getting fat" is something I say to, and hear from, my friends all the time. To which the typical response is "yeah, I know...I'm trying to get back in shape."

And I would argue that overcoming your insecurities involves effort as well. So the distinction between shame and laziness might be psychological in nature, but lack of effort can be attributed to not overcoming either. For example, a person who is deathly afraid of public speaking would have to take therapy and/or speech courses. Or even just practice using their own resources. It requires invested time and effort on their part. This is actually a big issue with artists as well: "comfort zones". And it requires drilling different styles and subjects all day to get comfortable with something out of your norm. As I said: you either don't want to fix it or you do. If you want something badly enough, you'll do it. And if you don't, you shouldn't hold a knife to others necks over it.

Because nobody is actually telling you to do it. Fat and happy is fine. But you, yourself, are the one that finds issue with it. So why hold others accountable.

Idiocy is, or at least was, an objective term. It was used to refer to individuals with an IQ of 30 or less. It has fallen out of favor because it has become seen as a pejorative, so it is no longer used clinically. If I am not mistaken the modern clinical term is profound mental retardation.

I may have implied you were a dick with an adonis complex, and I certainly think at least half of that is true, because that is how I interpreted your argument. Then you refined it to a complaint about censorship, and I refined my argument to match.
    Personally, I don't think you have a coherent ideological reason for this and it's just you wanting to make excuses for your distaste for fat people. I do believe that, but obviously it is not something anyone can possibly prove. So as you have since provided a more clear and solid case, I have responded in kind.

"I repeated multiple times that I don't mind fat people as long as they aren't trying to censor those around them by being overly defensive."
    If a fat person does not wish to be called fat why is it you are so unable to comply with that request? Fat is a word which has an objective meaning, like idiot, but has taken on a pejorative context, like idiot. Would you respect the wishes of a mentally handicapped person to not be called an idiot or a moron? How about the wishes of a disabled person to not be called a cripple?

Why is it that you take issue with something so minor that makes others happy? That is my point. Why is it your are threatened by something as simple as "some people find the term 'fat' offensive and would prefer to not be called it."

And, finally, if you do not think fat people are randomly called fat or otherwise harassed, you are either extremely sheltered or very unobservant.

EDIT: I'm very sleepy, so maybe I am misunderstanding something, and that is within possibility for certain, but is your last line seriously asking why people hold other people accountable for the words that come out of their mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Idiocy is, or at least was, an objective term.
    was.

Then you refined it to a complaint about censorship, and I refined my argument to match.
    Actually, if you read the first post, key words were: "compliments", "lying", "falsehoods". This whole thing has been about censorship.

If a fat person does not wish to be called fat why is it you are so unable to comply with that request?
    Because they are? Like I said. A person like me has nothing against a fat individual. So me calling them fat is not in any way an insult to them. They take it as an insult because they, themselves, are personally bothered by their weight, whereas I am not. So why should I curb my speech for something that they are making offensive on their own?

And, finally, if you do not think fat people are randomly called fat or otherwise harassed, you are either extremely sheltered or very unobservant.
    I'm sure that has happened maybe 5 small instances out of the 21 years I've been alive. That is a pretty small incidence.

I'm very sleepy, so maybe I am misunderstanding something, and that is within possibility for certain, but is your last line seriously asking why people hold other people accountable for the words that come out of their mouths?
    No. The expectation is made before any words come out of anyone's mouths. The expectation is created as soon as an overweight person walks into a room. The expectation is broken when the word 'fat' is said. The person is not held accountable for saying what they said, they are held accountable for the meaning that someone else attributes it to. Which is stupid.