Thread: Manga backgrounds tutorial?

Hybrid View

Manga backgrounds tutorial?

No I don't mean backgrounds about perpective with buildings and stuffs, what I mean is those flowers and stars and music notes or dots thingy in the backgrounds of manga. (most of the stuffs I see is speed lines)

I'd like to know what to when to use them to emphasis the correct emotion.

Those backgrounds are most commonly a type of screen tone. You can find free ones online or purchase them from art supply stores if you're going traditional. They are usually used to emphasize intense or enveloping emotion like euphoria, daze, anger, jealousy, love, peace, fear, etc... They are mood setting tools that serve to bring your character and reader out of the real world setting of your story and into their personal realm. Whenever the background buildings, trees, walls, etc... are not as important as the emotional response one of these tones can be used.

Be careful though. Many beginner artists use these to get out of drawing complex backgrounds and sometimes it's pretty obvious.
    "Join Luthor in Ultraman's fortress and leave Superwoman to me and my mustache."

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKasey View Post
    Be careful though. Many beginner artists use these to get out of drawing complex backgrounds and sometimes it's pretty obvious.
    Also, some beginner artists use them so they can simplify emotions and doesn't need to draw the face expressions that well.

Agreed on your last statement there. But think Ram tries to find a good way on making these backgrounds himself and not by copy/pastes or textures. Sure most do it that way, but I'm sure there's still some that draw them by hand. I've been wanting to find a good one myself... but I guess the best way is to look up different examples through google and use them as refs :P It can't be too hard to draw hearts, stars, lines, curves... etc.

Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

I don't really like the idea of copy pasting, I'd rather make my own stuffs so I don't really need some link on collections of those tones, but what I need is when to when to use them or whatever.
    I might make a mistake of putting an anger background on a panel where they're happy.
    I suppose even you devian explorers can't give me a link huh, oh well I'll just go with references then.

Quote Originally Posted by ram View Post
    I don't really like the idea of copy pasting, I'd rather make my own stuffs so I don't really need some link on collections of those tones, but what I need is when to when to use them or whatever.
    I might make a mistake of putting an anger background on a panel where they're happy.
    I suppose even you devian explorers can't give me a link huh, oh well I'll just go with references then.
    then trace some of "YOUR OWN" photos and collage them together to make some cool backgrounds

I'm not sure on specifics, but maybe just watch some anime / look through mangas and see when these kinds of things are used, and what shapes they've used for the emotion, as you'll know from the speech what emotion they're meant to be feeling. I don't think you'd manage to get it so completely wrong as to doing an anger background for happy - some are just intuitive, like filling the background with hearts if they're in love.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    http://fox-orian.deviantart.com/gall...62487#/d1obme7

^ Best tutorial out there, in my opinion; just be sure not to use copyrighted photos and give credit where due.