Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "Help me break artist's block" thread

Teen Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    The problem with visualization is that more often than not, what we imagine is in better detail than what we can draw at the moment. Like your skill does not match up to the visuals you dreamt up. Maybe you should try working on not having as high as an expectation of your visual versus the result so you won't be setting yourself up for heartache when something doesn't turn out the way you want.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Personally, from the times that I did try to draw what I visualized, I ended up not liking the result too. Nowadays, I just think about the basics I want to achieve like hair type (long, short, etc), features, type of clothes, etc that I'm going for BUT not visualize to the extent that I know every little detail; just an impression; and I draw from there. This has pretty much worked for me since and that's what I do now. It also allows me to be more flexible about things so I can change the clothes or hairstyle or whatever because I'm not as invested in the image I initially thought of in my head.
    That surprised me. Honestly I thought I should go the OPPOSITE way, trying to think up as much of details as possible.

Well, I think I'll try again. Maybe with those tips I'll gather enough courage to face the sketchbook.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekator View Post
    My turn to complain.

So yeah... I'm blocked. I'm still a beginner at drawing, and learning doesn't go too well for me. I failed many times, and right now, whenever I try to force myself to finally take a sketchbook, some voice in the back of my head laughs "haha you wanna draw? You saw some skilled artists and wanna be like them? Guess what, ain't happening! You can't draw".

Not all of my drawings are bad. Those drawn from a reference turn out (usually) pretty good. Once I've drawn a character from my favorite anime using a picture from an official artbook as a reference, and except a little proportional glitch with hands, the picture turned out nice, in my opinion (no copy-drawing involved; just a reference). There's also a sketch of a ship from a game which turned out nigh perfectly and several weapons.

When I try to draw something from my own imagination however, it's completely another story. Everything I've drawn completely original is garbage. Ability to translate my imagination into drawings is crucial for the reason I want to learn drawing. I am good at writing stories in my opinion, and opinion of several people I've shown my creations to. I just like fantasizing and I know a bit about mechanisms and cliches used in storytelling. Right now I got quite a cool story prepared, and there's enough planned plot to lead a webcomic for years. Only waiting for me to learn drawing...

But I'm afraid I'll fail again if I try to draw, and I am simply wasting time trying. And so I cannot even resume drawing drill.
    HAHA YOU WANT TO DRAW? LOLOLOLOLOLOL!...jk of course. Honestly this is the exact reason that I made this topic, and your feelings are EXACTLY what I was feeling before I broke my block. So hopefully I can help you.

Some things that have helped me, some of which I just discovered after breaking my block:
    - force yourself not to care too much when you begin. Draw very light, and trace over lines multiple times until you get it right instead of erasing. Don't get caught up in one thing until you have your WHOLE basic shape outlined.

- get to know what you are drawing. If you are drawing a sword for example, don't just imagine it in the view you are going for; imagine what it looks like from the side, top, bottom, etc.

- If you are tired of making mistakes, pick a fool-proof subject like creatures or sci-fy. I did this when I was tired of doing the same original human character over and over, and it was a great way to let my mind explore. It will also challenge your technical skills, since you will be more prone to try out different shapes, perspectives without fear.

- cool music. i cannot stress enough the importance of music that fits your mood (for me). There's a thread in General Discussion with suggestions *cough-epicscore-cough*

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Sometimes breaking art block is as simple as ignoring school work and doodling on the edges of your papers. Assuming you go to school...it's not the best idea, but it worked a few times for me lol.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Sometimes breaking art block is as simple as ignoring school work and doodling on the edges of your papers. Assuming you go to school...it's not the best idea, but it worked a few times for me lol.
    As someone who finds school work actually valuable, I'd agrue against this. But really it depends on your lifestlye and priorities I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    As someone who finds school work actually valuable, I'd agrue against this. But really it depends on your lifestlye and priorities I guess...
    Also on what course and what class. There may be classes that are actually boring, and you might be fine studying on your own in which case you can afford to use that time for doodling. So it depends on you...

Teen Member
    If one cares about school work, there are always breaks to doodle on ^^

Thx for the tips Fenn. Still... breaking this block is not easy. The biggest problem is that I'm still afraid of failure :/

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    I value art more than anything. It's top priority in my life. I did almost fail because of that nasty habit though.
    Balance it delicately if you wanna do that stuff lol.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekator View Post
    If one cares about school work, there are always breaks to doodle on ^^

Thx for the tips Fenn. Still... breaking this block is not easy. The biggest problem is that I'm still afraid of failure :/
    Hm...I have that problem still to. Like, I'll feel embarrassed if it doesn't come out good, especially if someone else happens to see it. If that's the case start small. Small simple drawings are harder to make big mistakes on.

I know what you mean though. It actually feels painful for me to mess up a character. I even feel guilty towards that character for messing them up!

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    I value art more than anything. It's top priority in my life. I did almost fail because of that nasty habit though.
    Balance it delicately if you wanna do that stuff lol.
    If it's top priority than power to you. Balance is best for me but art is merely a hobby so it doesn't get a lot of my attention.

Fenn
    Oh no! As soon as I was getting into it, life got busy and "BAM!" artists block hit me again.

My drawing have no life. I can't even get past the fleshing out stage on my characters, and on the odd chance I do, I botch the face. I'm terrible at perspectives that aren't front or side view.

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    How I break my art blocks and frustrations, go a whole day without drawing. Drawing is crack to me, I wake up drawing, draw throughout the day, and draw before I sleep, so when I hit frustration or blocks......... I... never forgot the joke i was about to make.