Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "Help me break artist's block" thread

They're just small. I usually don't make them much bigger than a 3"x3" box.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Best advice I can give is to not fight art block, just let it pass and do something else to keep yourself busy...maybe something physical to keep your mind off drawing. If you try and force it you'll just stress yourself out and that's no good. Trust me I've tried fighting it just like the rest, and always thought that was the best move, but recently I discover it's not.

This may not work for all cases though.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Best advice I can give is to not fight art block, just let it pass and do something else to keep yourself busy...maybe something physical to keep your mind off drawing. If you try and force it you'll just stress yourself out and that's no good. Trust me I've tried fighting it just like the rest, and always thought that was the best move, but recently I discover it's not.

This may not work for all cases though.
    Hm, well I tried this for a while, months actually. But I keep coming here so I start wanting to draw again.

I agree with Gunz in the sense that you shouldn't force yourself too much if you've been drawing a lot. It can help to take a break for a day or two to refresh the creative juices. But you shouldn't take too much time off or you risk getting out of the habit of drawing. For now, I would say force yourself to draw and get into the habit. Yeah the picture you're working on at the moment may be horrible in your opinion, but get it out of your system and move on to the next one.

I find that just practising and looking at other work works the best.

After a long period of despair, I asked Gunz what I could do and he recommended I just started practising drawing again. So I did. I started to do gesture drawings which, although they may seem pointless, do help get the juices flowing again IMHO (perhaps because drawing the actual character will come more natural to you so you can spend more of your time/brain activity on the creation of the character). As for the looking at other people's art, it generally should just stimulate you to draw. Use elements from other people's work and create yourself a massive inspiration folder to look for inspiration at any time (hence the name).

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    Use elements from other people's work and create yourself a massive inspiration folder to look for inspiration at any time (hence the name).
    That's what I do. I save any images that inspire me whether it's the drawing style, the colors, composition, or anything else. I've got stores of them. It's good stuff to learn from too if you want to go for a certain look or feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    Use elements from other people's work and create yourself a massive inspiration folder to look for inspiration at any time (hence the name).
    I never thought about that. Wow. That is actually a pretty cool idea. That is a perfect way to get back into the drawing spirit. I might try it.

Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    That's what I do. I save any images that inspire me whether it's the drawing style, the colors, composition, or anything else. I've got stores of them. It's good stuff to learn from too if you want to go for a certain look or feel.
    I'm actually currently sorting all my DA favourites into subfolders, so when I need inspiration, I'll only receive it in the field I require (Instead of a manga picture popping up every two concepts :/ )

If it's still not unblocked, try reading manga. I know this sounds like the most obvious method, but when you just need a sketch or plot, you can read manga to try and unblock it. However, you have to pick out the genre you want to write in first. As an example, let's say you want to write a battle/action manga. The manga books you should be looking through are something like these:
    Bleach
    Naruto
    Full Metal Alchemist
    If you want to get a manga with a good variety of mixes, or just a manga with a "fresh" feel, try reading two different genres of manga titles. So let's say you want something like a semi-romantic adventure. Try skimming through titles as such:
    Ranma 1/2
    Satan 666
    Just try picking out stuff you liked, and decide why you liked it. Then, give it your own twist, add more interesting stuff, and repeat until you can't find anything else that you like in the manga books. Usually, if this doesn't work for me, I read my favorite ongoing manga. So good luck on shattering that artist's block!

(I just checked, and Lucifer beat me to the concept TT_TT)

Fenn
    More good ideas. With all this snow, I see drawing time in my future...