Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: WHo in Mt would you rather meet at the boxing ring

You do know he fought Timothy Bradley, right? Perhaps you were so enamored with Pac's punching power that you didn't see the effort put up by Bradley, hell, you didn't even get his name right.

Ha. Yes...yes I was. I dunno why I kept calling dude Taylor. Well Bradley's actually a good fighter but that guy's noggin is massive.

Hm.... who you like for Chavez Jr vs Lee?

Good question. The champ is a great fighter & I don't know much about Lee so I can't really say. Isn't he a southpaw? That may be a problem if he's fast.

Dude has a great right left hook, I think if he sets it up right, this fight could be interesting. I mean, like his father, Jr. takes a punch good, has good power, good speed, and Roach and co has been raising him nice and good, so he's not going to be taken out easy, but if Lee fights hard, pressures and keeps Jr. off balance with his south paw tactics, and land some of the right left hooks Lee may become the next WBC Middleweight Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    I'd keep in mind that the actual art of fencing, as in -the original renaissance method of combat using a rapier-, has actually been completely lost. All modern techniques are indeed based purely within the realm of sport, utilizing weapons that are far lighter and more fragile than the true weapons of the time. What this means is, don't be so sure that the techniques would be so useful with an enemy that would not necessarily follow the rules...

If you already know this, then fair enough, but you're bound to get a prideful instructor or two who'd deny it.
    I'm very aware that the art of fencing is lost and now its only used for the sake of sport and reinterpretation. I actually got in this because I wanted to do a contact sport again and James was talking a lot about this. I don't know if the techniques are completely lost, as there are many books that talk about the techniques and all that, and its basically the same problem that have shaolin monks for ancient techniques. It's lost in the way that there is no one teaching it anymore, but the books are there and so the illustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    Go with Italian style, Clock. And then side step into Spanish.
    I have thinking in Italian, there are cool moves, like parrying and hitting with the elbow the arm of the opponent while entering with the sword. I find that a pretty cool move, lol. But for the sake of sport, Spanish and German are more coherent.

One Thousand Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    german is fun. you should have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I'm very aware that the art of fencing is lost and now its only used for the sake of sport and reinterpretation. I actually got in this because I wanted to do a contact sport again and James was talking a lot about this. I don't know if the techniques are completely lost, as there are many books that talk about the techniques and all that, and its basically the same problem that have shaolin monks for ancient techniques. It's lost in the way that there is no one teaching it anymore, but the books are there and so the illustrations.
    I don't know much about european fencing but, the arts taught at Shaolin are alive a & well today as they were a century ago. I mean...you have to be a devout monk to learn them, but they still teach the same techniques they taught back then.

I'd assume that somewhere in europe there's groups who still know the lost techniques as well.

There are books written by "masters" about fencing, the problem is that the language of that time is different than the language at this days, and they wrote the books on codes so only a very limited amount of people could learn the techniques. Even so plenty of those "masters" are well documented biographically, so there are methods to interpreter their books and also the calligraphic distinctions between today and the XV century are also well documented (ya I took a class about this, but only for Spanish). So that's why I say the teaches are indeed lost, as there is no master alive (ones the rifle appear, most techniques were lost or changed for new weapons and societies), but there are books to be interpreted.

About Asian martial art, there is a lot of ancient techniques that are in the same situation than European fencing, its crazy the amount of books they have about old techniques and plenty of those books are only gave to only certain monks to interpret and learn the techniques. I remember this from both a documentary about Shaolin monks and also about a chatting I had with a person from a school of Asian Fencing who worked on interpreting old text books (I'm talking about illustrations even older than the unification of Chine, which is crazy).

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    if you fight with honor, courage & puropse you shall always prevail.
    Honor is like the worst thing you could bring with you to a fight.

Assuming your life isn't a shonen manga.