Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: WHo in Mt would you rather meet at the boxing ring

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Good job. Sounds sorta like Dag, although most people don't do crap like that. They'd be thrown out. I have had sword training. It does make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

101 Dalmations Member Snooderflubbyguppy's Avatar
    Says the one who always loses.
    -__-

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    It's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

Well, you're alive, at least.

101 Dalmations Member Snooderflubbyguppy's Avatar
    It's true.
    yes fine it is true.
    Well, you're alive, at least.
    ya but its still anoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    If you were in a real (amateur or pro) boxing match the other guy wouldn't beat you to death on purpose, that's why you have a referee. They'd happily knock you out, but only the most pumped boxer would want to carry on after that. ClockHand has a bit of a romantic view of fighting.
    Key word: referee. The referee and the organization are there so the fighters don't need to hold back and can do everything they can to win. And the referees stop them when they are being over aggressive, go against the rules and so on. The point of placing a referee and a organization that manage the ethic of the fighters, it's made so the fighters don't need to discuss about the ethic on what they are doing.

Also the mind set of going for everything without carrying what the other person might happen is really important. As you are going to see, most people who start doing these kind of sport are not holden back by their skills, but rather because they care to much about the other.

In practice the other guy would go as hard or as soft as he thought you could take. If you're about as skilled as him, he'd probably go full on. But if you've just started sparring then you'd probably get paired with a more experienced guy, who'd go soft but firm - he'd point out your vulnerabilities by punching you, but he wouldn't get aggressive and beat the crap out of you. That's not why you're there, and that's not why he's there. Only newbie boxers go full strength in practice.
    Key word is sparring. Sparring is different to fighting, in a fight you gave everything and in sparring you practice. If you go in the ring with a professional box fighter, then you must be aware that he is not going to go easy on you. If you go in a sparring, he will probably going to work so you look at your mistakes and develop solutions.

I mean, this is second-hand information but does ClockHand really believe that most fighters are such douchebags that they'd try and kill the other person?
    Everyone are nice out of the ring, but in it, everyone want to win. They are douchebags, at least 90% of professionals I have met are douchebags on life or just on the ring/cage, but they are indeed assholes. Probably in part because in here there is a very blunt mentality in sports as they don't really care what happens to the other person, and they are the kind of person who would beat the crap out of you just to have some cash.

EDIT: Also I don't think it's even possible to kill someone in modern fencing. Fencing is a sport, not a martial art. Have you seen the bendy swords and the thick armour? I think the sword would break long before it went into someone.
    Modern fencing use Black Blades, which are blades without edge but still have a point (and a pome), which is still dangerous. And armors used for sparring or matches are just cotton armors (which is not that good at stabbing or blunt hits) or kevlar armor (if you are into rapiers or florete). Well this is the reason why I think if you really want to make historical fencing in a sport you must take the steel sword away, because it cripple fighters to place everything they have to win (even so a lot of people would disagree, as steel swords have the best bounce and deflection).

And example on why the black blades cripple historical fencing is the pome, as if you were going to fight for winning, you would obviously consider in using the pome of the sword as a blunt/mace weapon. But as those weapons are made of steel, you can't, which cripple the idea that the fighter must fight to win. As is in the fighters mind to win no mater what, its the work of the referees and organizations to provide every mean so the fighters doesn't need to hold back.

I sure did miss that multi-qouting that clock always do.

i didn't. D:

I can't remember when was the last time he did that, you know doing that type of qouting isn't really easy, you have to copy paste stuffs to get it done right.

still. it's so precise and exact. unless it is nessecary, that sort of stuff bothers me. does he have to reply to every single comment?