Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I has a gundam question

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Me and Outcast talked about this like last week, but man, these are still my shit when it comes to killing things.

The Sandrock was cool too, but didn't really make my fave list.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

I liked the look of the mobile dolls, the Vayeate, and the Mercurius. I liked a lot of the suits in GW, but what really drew me in was the sweet tunes.

Ugh, I couldn't STAND the 'bad guy' suits in Gundam Wing. They were just so uggglllyyyyy.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Ugly is good. Real war machines are ugly. :p

Seriously through, I still have models of the gundam heavy arms custom, the vayeate, and the mercurius and the wing zero from my childhood, so there is definitely nostalgia there. In a way, you could even say that all giant robot shows are sort of about giant toys doing battle.

But after watching stuff like Gits, Patlabor, Macross Plus, or, hell, Evangelion, I think there is just so much more appeal in robots that look and act realistic, blending in with the terrain instead of being just giant metal super heroes. If I wanted the latter, I'd just watch power rangers.

Flaws are the most crucial part of any fictitious character, country, or even super power, so why not giant robots also?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Yeah I guess that would be true if the characters were slightly interesting in anyway and the nature of all the conflicts weren't so confusing.
    The nature of political drama and war are confusing, though. That's the point. The characters supposed to be confused, and the situations are supposed to be confusing. I liked Wing because it bothered to take a non-fundamental approach to war whereas past Gundam series had obvious "bad guys" and "good guys", which became the trend again with SEED (the ZAFT characters were notably more despicable and hero-foil in nature). TBH even as a kid I got the general gist of what was going on. The Endless Waltz movie hit it home for me, as far as the defections and such. And the characters, IMO, are pretty interesting considering they aren't the typical natural ace, super-humanitarian bleeding heart heroes that most Gundam protagonists are. "I--I kill hundreds of people every day in a giant mech suit but 30 episodes later I'm still whining about how it hurts me to do so!"

And you would send grunt mechs after them because you didn't have anything else, so you try to compensate with numbers. The gundams in the wing universe were developed by seven geniuses with ridiculous funds and access to rare raw materials. They were almost mythical in nature. And throughout the series you see the opposite faction try //multiple// times to create mobile suits that were of equal capability to the gundams (Vayaete, Mercurius, Epyon, all which were based off the Wing schematics). But yeah, I mean I'm sure they would if they //could//. Why does Ford make Fords and not Ferraris?
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 06-05-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Ugly is good. Real war machines are ugly.

Seriously through, I still have models of the gundam heavy arms custom, the vayeate, and the mercurius and the wing zero from my childhood, so there is definitely nostalgia there. In a way, you could even say that all giant robot shows are sort of about giant toys doing battle.

But after watching stuff like Gits, Patlabor, Macross Plus, or, hell, Evangelion, I think there is just so much more appeal in robots that look and act realistic, blending in with the terrain instead of being just giant metal super heroes. If I wanted the latter, I'd just watch power rangers.

Flaws are the most crucial part of any fictitious character, country, or even super power, so why not giant robots also?
    True, but I mean, when it comes to any Gundam series, specifically Gundam, I just expect their designs and mechs to look sexy. I could give a damn for function, there will never be super fast nuclear reactors sword dueling in space, lol.
    <My comic

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    The nature of political drama and war are confusing, though. That's the point. The characters supposed to be confused, and the situations are supposed to be confusing. I liked Wing because it bothered to take a non-fundamental approach to war whereas past Gundam series had obvious "bad guys" and "good guys", which became the trend again with SEED (the ZAFT characters were notably more despicable and hero-foil in nature). TBH even as a kid I got the general gist of what was going on. The Endless Waltz movie hit it home for me, as far as the defections and such. And the characters, IMO, are pretty interesting considering they aren't the typical natural ace, super-humanitarian bleeding heart heroes that most Gundam protagonists are. "I--I kill hundreds of people every day in a giant mech suit but 30 episodes later I'm still whining about how it hurts me to do so!"
    I have a hard time believing the confusing nature of the series was intentional. I'm willing to watch it again but I remember the last time I did I was literally laughing at how silly it was.

Also there is a character that literally whines about killing all the time.

And you would send grunt mechs after them because you didn't have anything else, so you try to compensate with numbers. The gundams in the wing universe were developed by seven geniuses with ridiculous funds and access to rare raw materials. They were almost mythical in nature. And throughout the series you see the opposite faction try //multiple// times to create mobile suits that were of equal capability to the gundams (Vayaete, Mercurius, Epyon, all which were based off the Wing schematics). But yeah, I mean I'm sure they would if they //could//. Why does Ford make Fords and not Ferraris?
    When trying to penetrate armor you either can or you can't. Having 100's of dudes fire on one guy isn't going to improve your chances when your weapons couldn't hurt them in the first place. Unless you are waiting for the off chance the guy hops out of his cockpit to take a wiz or something.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Also there is a character that literally whines about killing all the time.
    Heero?
    <My comic

I was thinking of quatre since heero whines about killing because he doesn't want to whine about killing.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Though I agree about Quatre, he is only one of five protagonists. And he is infinitely more interesting than previous gundam protagonists in his nature, mannerisms, etc. He's a bit of an eccentric (obv.). And I don't remember many episodes even focusing on Quatre. Heero doesn't whine about killing so much as he has flashbacks of his first massacre, and tries to interpret them throughout the series. He is a programmed assassin, so, despite the whole self-realization thing being an obvious trope, it makes sense.

The twists in the series are confusing to follow because you have a lot of love interests (five separate couplings for the main protagonists) and a cast of characters who are constantly defecting to both sides of the conflict, when not claiming to be independent. And then you have Zechs who is even harder to follow due to his identity and motives switching up all the time.

The gundams weren't invincible, just nigh invulnerable. They could be hurt with a lot of firepower, against a lot of skilled opposition and few lucky shots. I mean, they are being constantly repaired throughout the series.