View Poll Results: What do I need to improve?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sketching

0 0%
  • Inking

1 50.00%
  • Colouring

0 0%
  • Shading

1 50.00%
  • Backgrounds

2 100.00%
  • Anatomy

0 0%
  • Tools/weapons

1 50.00%
  • Cloths

0 0%
  • Poses

1 50.00%
  • Emotions

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Critique Guaco's arts. Now featuring 100 theme challenge entries.

I mostly work on sircles :P Blocks and Rectangles just annoys me to use as refs. I suppose it has something to do with how you first learned how to draw XP But thanks for the hints. His head was supposed to be tilting down, but I had huge problems on making the eyes fit as they should. So I must admit I knew his eyes were wrong, just was too tired of working on them to care for it xD but that T shape hint seems like a good idea. I'll remember that for when I get to the face on my next art.

Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

I hope it's not to late, but If you still want a critique, I'm willing to show you some of the things I saw in this. This is an easy fix! You are capable of some serious stuff, so I don't think this'll be all that hard for you.

My way of critiquing things is different. I just post your picture next to a identical picture (that I drew). That way you can actually SEE what the differences are! Would that be okay?

~Zero

go ahead

No need to ask. I got this to see what I can improve later and so far, it've been of great help.

Sry double post.

Since everyone else of those I've seen with a critique thread and a saimoe entrance do this, I'll do the same.

Here's my saimoe entrance:
    SPOILER! :

Click the picture for a larger view and with the ref sheet & info

Feel free to critique it, but remember it will not be changed. The hints and critiques I get, I use on later images :P

That looks really good Guaco

As her face is turned in a 3/4 view her right eye should be compressed more and the iris brought to the left side of the eye (if she is looking at us) and personally I think the hands are too small but that's it good luck with your entry

Loving the colour scheme you chose for her by the way xD

the hands are enlarged already btw :P they were way smaller when I first made her. Got hints by another member here through skype on enlarging. Didn't want bigger cause I did not think that fit... But such are based on personal liking I suppose :P
    thanks though! Hope I at least pass the qualification XP

Some people have smaller hands. For all intents and purposes, the hands are fine (at least for now--you'll definitely want to work on their proportions in future drawings).

I know this is your art thread, but I'm going to critique your writing because your art is decent and I'm much better at critiquing writing anyway:

Where are her flaws? Where are her humanizing traits? What aspects of her personality would draw me to her? In her bio, it says Sylia hates nothing. Generally, unless you have perfect, compassionate, unyielding understanding of literally everything and everyone who ever existed, you're going to hate something. Unless you're going for a JC figure, she'd best have something she's struggling to overcome, or some deep, dark facet of her personality that she grudgingly accepts, but hides away from everybody. And no, that can't be something like a one-time accident that never really hurt anyone that she blames herself for. Or it can't be an accident that seriously hurt someone that she blames herself for even though it wasn't really her fault. Also, it shouldn't be something stupid like "can't cook" in a story where she has no need to cook.

That all said, you can go overboard with flaws. Your character needs some redeeming features. She can't be completely evil, or else she'll turn out like my entry for last season.

It's probably too late to make changes this season, but you can apply that whenever you write a character, not just for Saimoe.

sure. But did not want to include bad stuff since cuteness is a theme for the entry :P Thought that including flaws would make her less cute XP She's an elf, so she do not have that much "human" flaws :P So that is an important fact there. Ofc, elves also make mistakes, but they're trained from birth to control their emotions and for the most part the bad emotions. Elves that fail to control their bad emotions, gets banned and their powers removed. That is all stuff I plan to include when submitting details of creatures in Lagoora (My world), but I haven't made enough to submit it yet.

But if you want her flaws.
    She got a problem to take things for granted and forgive too easily. Which gets her into trouble more than once. Another flaw is that she misuse her "arcane" strength too much and sometimes hurt people unintentionally. She never hate, but she can dislike. So things she dislikes would be common stuff like some kinds of animals or food courses. But those are not interesting facts. What could be interesting stuff she dislikes are outcasts (banned elves) and Fairies. She don't want to be a racist. But she got a hidden hate for fairies cause of their communistic nature.

I will write full bios of all my characters when I'll start using them in more than random pictures (If I ever get to that point) but as said, to this contest I hid the flaws intentionally :P

I see where you're coming from, but I think the flaws should always be included. A good character doesn't have to be relatable; only believable. A flawless person, under any threat, is unbelievable (in real life, there's hell, prison, death, torture, estrangement--all sorts of terrible punishments for misbehaving, yet we all do to some degree; some greater than others).

Flaws can add to a character's cuteness, believe it or not. Too many and you've got an unbelievably evil villain, like my avatar, and too few and you've got what can be loosely defined as a Mary Sue.

-

As for Sylia, I skimmed most of the flaws you mentioned, but latched onto her racism. I imagined her and her friends joking around and totally trash-talking fairies, then a scene where she met a fairy, in front of her friends, and had a visible struggle while deciding how to treat her, eventually being totally stoic toward both parties, neither insulting nor complimenting the fairy, but going back to bashing fairies with her friends afterward, maybe a little less harshly. This could add to her cute factor because, while racism is ugly in real life, putting it between fairies and elves disconnects a reader just enough that s/he's not seeing whites and blacks, and therefore can still see the flaw and not hate the character for it.

Quote Originally Posted by eltoroguaco View Post
    the hands are enlarged already btw :P they were way smaller when I first made her. Got hints by another member here through skype on enlarging. Didn't want bigger cause I did not think that fit... But such are based on personal liking I suppose :P
    thanks though! Hope I at least pass the qualification XP
    Matt summed it up with the hands but that was just an observation and i'm sure you will be able to pass the qualification again good luck i'm sure you'll do well :3