View Poll Results: What do I need to improve?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sketching

0 0%
  • Inking

1 50.00%
  • Colouring

0 0%
  • Shading

1 50.00%
  • Backgrounds

2 100.00%
  • Anatomy

0 0%
  • Tools/weapons

1 50.00%
  • Cloths

0 0%
  • Poses

1 50.00%
  • Emotions

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Critique Guaco's arts. Now featuring 100 theme challenge entries.

So I guess you know this since you drew it, but the relation between the length of the upper and lower body is 3:4. I remember that when I first looked into manga I saw some tutorials that encouraged those proportions, but I have still never actually seen someone use this in a reasonable way. One of the problems that emerge when the upper body is too short is that the arms either needs to be adjusted to fit the short upper body (so that the elbows line up with the lower part of the ribcage), or they are kept at the correct length in relation to the legs. In the first case the arms will seem too short, and in the second case the arms will seem too long. If you want too avoid making this decision I suggest you keep the ration approximately between 7:8 and 8:7.

Yeah but good job, and I just want to point out that even though this is Manga Tutorials a lot of the artists around here are very good at art in general, and if you want feedback on a piece that isn't really manga no one will rage on you for posting it here.

^ I'll second Rubisko's last paragraph. Manga is nice, but we draw pretty much everything here. I was waiting to post a critique about the chin's alignment with the rest of the face, but that was taken, so I'll wait till your next picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubisko View Post
    So I guess you know this since you drew it, but the relation between the length of the upper and lower body is 3:4. I remember that when I first looked into manga I saw some tutorials that encouraged those proportions, but I have still never actually seen someone use this in a reasonable way. One of the problems that emerge when the upper body is too short is that the arms either needs to be adjusted to fit the short upper body (so that the elbows line up with the lower part of the ribcage), or they are kept at the correct length in relation to the legs. In the first case the arms will seem too short, and in the second case the arms will seem too long. If you want too avoid making this decision I suggest you keep the ration approximately between 7:8 and 8:7.
    Sry for being a noob but... I do not understand the measure 3:4, 7:8 and 8:7... could you describe more what it means?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubisko View Post
    Yeah but good job, and I just want to point out that even though this is Manga Tutorials a lot of the artists around here are very good at art in general, and if you want feedback on a piece that isn't really manga no one will rage on you for posting it here.
    Done and done. Updated the first page with some of my fave pictures from my Deviantart Gallery. Feel free to critic those if you wish. Just keep in mind that they are not manga so they will not have the same art rules. They are sorted from oldest to newest (top to bottom) so the oldest ones are half a year old already.

Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

101 Dalmations Member MiguelAndrew's Avatar
    The face perspective and its shape in side view. Sideviews usually make the eyes differ in shape and the direction where its looking at.
    Some tutorials in face proportion will help.
    The body proportion and your rendering skills is great but can be improved.
    hehehe.

If I got two sticks, one of length x units, and one of length y units, then the relation between their lengths can be expressed as x:y. When I said that the length of the upper body and the length of the lower body is 3:4 it simply means that the upper body is three fourths of the length of the lower body. So it doesn't have anything to do with art at all, but it's just a convenient notation, just take a look at a map

Quote Originally Posted by eltoroguaco View Post
    Just keep in mind that they are not manga so they will not have the same art rules.
    oh yes, they will. Other than the obvious stylistic difference nothing separates manga from what you've drawn previously, just as there's no difference between drawing a dragon and a human, or a human and a flowerpot. The fundamentals is 1:1

I hope to see more and new stuff from you. Keep it up!

haha that wasn't about the length :P that was cause at some styles, the head is supposed to be big or the legs are supposed to be small... etc. just as the eyes are usually big in manga. :P

But thanks for the clarification

If you've still to shade it, you might have thought of this already, but I think the outline of her right hand and her pistol are a bit lost against her black clothing. If you add a few highlights to pick out their edges, it shouldn't be a problem though.

Her right thigh looks short as well, but again, it's not a big deal. If you can bring her knee and the rest of her leg down a little further, it should be fine.

I won't change the picture. But yes I will shade her. Have been thinking of the gun end, it's easy to make more visible with shadings

New art up now! Since this is my first male after I started with Oekaki/manga arts again, I'd like critics on him as well XP He was really tricky cause he's supposed to be a bit tall so needed to remember tall guys body shape.

It is on the first post, but for you that's too lazy to check it... I hide it here under a spoiler tab as well.
    SPOILER! :

I like the foreshortening on the gun(? That would have to fire some oddly-shaped bullets) and the detail you put into it. The lines are nice and clean as well.

But, well, nothing's perfect. The head is a bit wide for his features. The chin is closer this time, but now our left side of his head seems too separated from his eyes. Actually, I'll just whip up a quick redline. I like those better anyway:

Link to some Bridgman.

The text, in case that's too small to read:
    SPOILER! :
    When lined up, the eyes, nose, and mouth will usually form a T, more or less, with lines drawn between them. Some variation is allowed, as most people do have asymmetrical faces, by not by too much.

In this picture, his features seem to be on different planes, and are off considering the shape of his head--which is also slightly off. It almost looks like he's looking down, but his eyes don't match up.

Though I highly recommend getting a better reference than my redline, this is probably closer to what you're looking for. Look at yourself in the mirror in a 3/4 view. Though you're not drawing realism, it really helps to reference it or at least a semirealistic manga/cartoon style. Like DC comics or Vagabond.

For proportional heads, I like to use George Bridgman's method: draw a cube and work from there. A cube is good for measuring symmetry without whipping out a ruler, and is easier to draw proportionally from than a simple circle and lines. Of course, this can make your heads look a bit stiff and mechanical, but it's all a matter of learning to use it.

The blocking method can be used for anime and cartoon heads as well.

Though I say that and though I prefer Bridgman's method, I won't tell you that his is better than anyone else's. I find that it works well for me, and it may or may not work for you.

Also, you can use blocks and rectangular prisms for the rest of the body as well.
    Last edited by Matt; 06-04-2012 at 07:57 PM.