Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr-Pajamas' arts! Attempt At Lineart pg.2. Colon Capital "P"

Double Digits Member Mr-Pajamas's Avatar

Mr-Pajamas' arts! Attempt At Lineart pg.2. Colon Capital "P"

So I guess I'll just post some of my art here.

First up, some reference sketches I did of an OC last night

SPOILER! :

sorry, the scanner cut a bit of this last one off.

Next, some typography art, just for fun. Not sure if that's the correct term for it, but basically I made faces out of different letters and symbols and junk in Adobe Illustrator.

SPOILER! :

[

So let me know what you guys think! Let me know what I need to work on. I have somewhat of an idea myself but CC is always appreciated.
    Last edited by Mr-Pajamas; 06-05-2012 at 03:10 AM.

101 Dalmations Member canime4ever's Avatar
    OK! Let's do this~

1. Looks pretty good! One slight suggestion is the line that makes up the outline of the face looks a little off on the left side, it makes the left side of the face look a little bigger. Other than that, it look really good~ :3
    2. This one's also good, just make sure the neck lines are straight! No one likes a rubber neck while they're driving or in drawings~! (My failed attempt at humor... ORZ Sorry you had to read that...)
    3. I really like the folds on his sweater! Great job~ Two things; one, his left (the one on our right) looks more muscular than the other, and two, his left (also the one on our right) leg is slightly thinner and his shoe/foot placement looks a little awkward to me. ^.^; Other than that, you're awesome!
    4. Awesome profile on the face~! Looks great n.n~ Ok, first thing I noticed was that he looked thicker from the neck down, but when you get to the torso, his legs look kinda thin, and that the leg farthest from us looked a little awkwardly placed; a little too far out maybe? Other then that, you did pretty good~ :3

I really like your typography and I'm not really sure how to crit that... Heheh~

Hoped this helped somewhat~! If I critiqued something about your style that is just that, your style, then please, IGNORE that part! I don't want anyone to change anything about their style that they like just because I said something~! Welp, it was fun~ :3

Great job. Other than what canime said, on the third picture, his left (on our right) hand and wrist aren't in line with the rest of the forearm which makes it look broken.

They look very good but in the third picture the forearm looks kinda weird to me and the lower part of the leg below the knee joint should probably be a little bit thicker before it shoots in and meets the foot, in your drawing it looks like a trapezium if that makes any sense :L

Thanks for your guys' input. I did another sketch of a different character last night and I tried to work a bit on feet with him. Anything I need to work on? The hands look kind of weird... but maybe that's just me.

SPOILER! :

Also I'm going to post a doodle page just because I can:

SPOILER! :

So anyways like I said before, CC is appreciated :3 (although I don't expect it on the doodle page...)

Hum, well he definitely has personality (which helps more than you'd think), and the details are definitely there. Proportions aren't too bad either. I'm assuming he's in his early teens; If not, the head and neck could probably do with being thinner. The legs could do with a bit of thickening, too. The hands... passable I guess. Perhaps the fingers are a little too short? I find it helps to start with the pinky and work your way inwards if this keeps happening. ;I

Overall, there is definitely potential here. Keep at it, dude.

Hm, I've never heard that tip before with the hands and whatnot. I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks for the advice!

Alrighty... another sketch this time featuring the two OC's I had posted earlier. Whenever I get a story idea in my head I like to draw the characters as much as possible to try and nail their personalities and expressions and junk. The characters are "Thor" on the left and "Orca" on the right.

SPOILER! :

So... just some of my own notes and stuff. First off, thanks Reganator, that tip with the hands really helped. Also the legs still seem really thin to me at the bottom so I already know that much. Lastly, can someone show me why it looks more like my character is crabwalking rather than sitting? Maybe it's just me but it definitely looks wrong.

I would suggest broadening out the lower leg where after the knee, the ankles should be thin but because the upper part of the lower leg doesn't broaden before it thins out it looks weird. Obviously though your characters are wearing jeans which will reduce this look but yours appear to me to almost lack this broadening. If you look at one of the pictures in my gallery you will see the extremes on my female OC eternal which should help illustrate what I mean.

Other than that your characters are looking great and show lots of character

Addon: A good guide is that your legs should be thicker than your arms so if they are about the same width you know that either the arm is too wide of the legs aren't wide enough.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 06-02-2012 at 10:26 PM.

I think it's the way that you've positioned the legs and stuff. because the back one is so bent, it looks like a position for sitting in the chair, and as you've drawn the bottom higher up in the grass than the legs, it looks like he's actually sitting higher, almost floating in the air, and even though you have the grass line there it doesnt help your eyes bring it in the right perspective.

2 things you could try to fix it - either he could be sitting with his legs bent, so that they're close to his chest, in which case you should draw with his knees up kinda shoulder level, and his feet and bottom at the same level on the paper, or his legs could be stretched out in front of him - if he's sitting exactly sideways on, again, the legs and bottom would be the same level, flat, or if he was slightly turned towards us then they would be going diagonally down the page towards us, so they wouldnt be the same level. also the same thing with bringing the hand in perspective - at the moment the one on the ground is lower down than his bottom, which suggests it's closer to us than his body, but looking at his shoulder etc it looks like it's straight at its side - if you want it straight, bring it on a similar level to the bottom etc

hope that helped and wasnt too confusing o.O
    but nice pic, i like the layout and idea!