Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reggish scribble pit ; Vampire lass. Critiques are always nice.

Hnngh... I wish I could draw mechs. I really like the second one in particular, the rounded armour makes me think of what Shirow used to draw, back in the day.

For your people though, I think anything I say is probably stylistic nitpicking, so feel free to take it with a pinch of salt.

The first two women seem to have very rounded heads. I know only too well that avoiding man-jaw can be a difficult job sometimes, but I think you could easily get away with a little more chin there. To my mind, it looks more natural and it can be a big help when trying to differentiate one face from another.

The photoshop shadows aren't quite working for me either. If you're adding a solid shadow-layer on top of existing colours, I don't think it's worth blurring it as heavily as that. If you're putting in spot blacks, I think they tend to work much better with a really strong, sharp outline around them to really give the image definition and impact.

I do like the first girl though, she looks like a gentler version of Revy from Black Lagoon.

First off; Thanks a whole bunch for the proper critique, dude. It's getting pretty hard to know what to improve on. I have indeed got quite a bit of Appleseed on my shelf, too...

I totally know what you mean about the rounded heads. It's something I try to avoid pretty frequently, but to be honest, I'm just plain bad at keeping the perspective looking right with that kinda complex shape at the minute.

Good eye with the shading. The first option is exactly what I'm doing. Might try more individual layers with less blur in the future. AKA the less cheapass way of doing things. :p

the mecha's are mad! woo

Thanks clouderton. They are indeed quite furious, since when they made some toast, it popped out and landed on the floor. :/

Anyhow.

Oh, hey! It'z leik... It's leik dat vampire lass Dietlinde from za dee an' dee threads, word!

101 Dalmations Member canime4ever's Avatar
    Hey, hope you don't mind a noob like me critin' your work, but I'mma do it anyway.

To start with, the details in the dress are awesome! The accessories, hair, anatomy, and eyes are also very nice, but her nose and mouth seem a little disproportionate with her face, just a little bit too big, but that might be just me. Also her hands, mostly her left hand, seems a bit off, like the fingers look like claws almost. A quick note on the sky is that it's not black, it's more like a really dark blue that gets ever-so slightly lighter around the horizon, and I'm assuming from her clothing that this is supposed to be from an earlier time period, so there should be a LOT of stars out. Are you using PS or some other program? Quick tip: Try avoiding the burn/dodge tool; use bare minimum, instead use the color picker and choose a darker color :3 Last, but not least, I really liked how you silhouetted the buildings and the steam/fog looks really cool in the foreground ^u^

Hoped that it helps!~ You really don't have to listen to me at all; I don't know what your style is, so I might be stepping on toes by suggesting you to change something you don't want to. Good luck with your other photos, P.S. Your mechs are totally awesome~!! Props to you, if I tried mechs I'd completely fail. Haha~

I love the dress regs.

I'm barely even an artist so no crits from me.

I'm not very good at coloring at all, so correct me if i'm wrong. I was just thinking that the only light source in the picture is the moon which is behind her, so if you wanted to make it more realistic, there should be a lot more shadows and shading on the face and skin.

Other than that, wonderful job! Much better than I could probably do

The colouring on that vampire picture is amazing :O and the dress is so detailed compared to what I can draw :L I look forward to seeing more awesome artwork from you

Out of interest what program did you use to colour that picture Regantor?

@ Canime; Hey, it's fair enough. You sound like you know what you are talking about to me... The facial features... Eh, I dunno. My style doesn't support the normal manga small eyes and mouth all that well, generally speaking. But you could be right. You are definitely right about the hands, through. Didn't realize how lazy I'd gotten. I am indeed abusing PS filters to hell and back, too. XD... I'll try and tackle those things properly in the future instead of just ad-hocing it. Overall, cheers for the comments and the in-depth critique. :3

@ Outish; Thanks man. I'd say something clever like "Lol I should be a fashion designer!", but I might make enemies with alot of well-manicured cat claws...

@ Jorgie; I actually didn't notice that at all since the background was drawn afterwards. Oh well. Cheers for the supporty words. -_-

@ Demon; I just use Photoshop 6.0. Being innovative is too hard, lol... Thanks for the decent words, anyhow, man.