Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by WhenRabbitsAttack View Post
    well people are inconsistent. if we weren't we would be rational, and god knows we never EVER will be rational.
    Consistency can be maddening.

Reasons why this is so sad and funny at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by WhenRabbitsAttack View Post
    i have the last 2 books, so i know there's defininetly going to be a sequel ;P
    Are you aware that Sherlock Holmes was created in 1887 by Arthur Conan Doyle? I'm saying this because if you have the "last 2 books", it would be same way impossible to say that there is going to be a sequel, and specially because the movies have little relation with the books.

Also that apparently Sherlock Holmes is who you see in the film, which is nothing alike as how Holmes is portrayed in the books, even more I would jump to say that the big and interesting reason why Holmes works so good on the books and not in a film is because the narrator on the novels is Watson, so the image we have of Holmes goes according in how Watson construct him and how we observe those perceptions. And this can't be done in a movie. Holmes does fight, but the movie portray him as someone nothing alike respect about fighting and other of his behavior, its a cartoon-ish image.

The only good things about the movies is that, they are not scared to portray Holmes as an asshole and they took away the hat and the cape. But really, there is nothing more to it, even as a movie its pretty bad, the first one not soo much, as an action film it can be easily enjoyed, but the second was laughable, as it breaks the whole characters dynamics and it takes the characters by their roles and not their actions, in a way it use the first film to support its story.

And about behavior and consistence. I believe the complete opposite, people are the most consistent things we have, one individual is most of the time really consistent, as humans, is hard for us to try to change our pattern of behavior. Now in a social and bigger scale, it's inconsistent, but I could say that as individuals we are very consistent, just analyze your every day life and see how many times you get out of your pattern of behavior.

You guys should watch the "Sherlock" british serie, pretty good serie per se, and it also does a good image of Holmes and Watson with a temporal twist.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 06-01-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Clock is a movie snob, basically he analyses films and judges them to a high standard. Any movie he says is good is probably good, but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy movies he says are bad, it just means that you have a lower standard than him. On the people thing, I don't think people are inconsistent, I think its just hard to understand others and therefore people think they are behaving inconsistently.

It's kinda useless to say such things around this part of town, as there are opinion supremacists. Just enjoy what you enjoy and dgaf, really, that's all you can do.

edit: Expect Clock here in... damit, my watch is broken.
    Last edited by GunZet; 06-01-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by Inksprout View Post
    Clock is a movie snob, basically he analyses films and judges them to a high standard. Any movie he says is good is probably good, but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy movies he says are bad, it just means that you have a lower standard than him. On the people thing, I don't think people are inconsistent, I think its just hard to understand others and therefore people think they are behaving inconsistently.

True, I'm kinda of a movie snob. But no, I don't believe I have high standards, but that movies have lowered their standards. It is not just me who believe that empathy is lost in most hollywood films, that action for the sake of action has become more important than phasing and building, or that the 5 seconds rules its starting to become a every day thing. Those problems that seems mean-less to most people are indeed extremely important not just in film making but in communications, where we have seen that constant 5 seconds rules have created communities of people with no capacity to retain focus, or that action for the sake of action is become more than just a reaffirmation of what the average person want to see.

We called movies the 7th Art, how can we keep that category after Battle Los Angeles or Battleship? How can we keep films as an artistic medium if we as consumers start asking what we ask to McDonalds and the same studios work as fast food makers? I might have high standards, but its for a reason, now I ask, Why do you lower your standards? Just for the sake of brainless enjoy a movie or the want more a quick movie experience?

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    It's kinda useless to say such things around this part of town, as there are opinion supremacists. Just enjoy what you enjoy and dgaf, really, that's all you can do.

edit: Expect Clock here in... damit, my watch is broken.
    I guess its all you can do.

Now we are seeing
    Eye
    to
    Eye
    <My comic

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I don't believe I have high standards, but that movies have lowered their standards.
    oh man this so so much

On the other hand I have super high standards and all the stuff you guys like is just awful

James whats your favourite movie of all time