Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Shnorkel's Stuff - Ace

Well the actual reference had the hand hidden since the figure itself had her left elbow raised about shoulder high and her arm folded to the palm is right infront of her chest. From this angle you couldn't see the left arm. But I guess that it looks awkward anyways, so now she's simply grabbing her left headphone or somethin.
    I also got rid of the green and went for more tinted purple and blonde. Also made the buckles and soles white like the dress layers and trims.

http://i46.tinypic.com/cthj.png

Gah you guys are really helpful :3
    I think I'll start shading it now!
    Last edited by Shnorkel; 06-12-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Wow, the arm is a BIG improvement! The adding coloring on the boots looks great, too! Keep up the wonderful work!! I can't wait to see it shaded!

Bigger version

When I colored it I intended it not to have the actual lineart but IMO it adds more definition to some parts so I erased most of the lineart and left the rest with low opacity. This is my 2nd or 3rd lineless drawing and I still seem to have a problem with faces, the mouth nose and eyes usually aren't defined enough to look somewhat normal without lines at all :/

SPOILER! :

That is unbelievably awesome, and I see you coloured the bottom of her boots, yaaay I helped somewhat xD looking forward to the next one
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 06-12-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Wonderfully wonderful! The BG color really makes it pop!

she looks awesome! i'm happy that you took my advice and added her other arm :3 so happy to help!!

yaaaaaaaaay!!!

It looks really really good shnork! I can tell you've put some amount of work and thought into this, so I'll try to do the same for this critique

Cause I've got some for you if you want to keep pushing this piece, complemented by a picture to make it understandable.
    SPOILER! :

So except that I thought that it looked really nice, my first thought was that it was pretty gray. The lightning looks pretty much like it was an overcast day, but still I could identify two lightsources. I think the problem might be that they are orthogonal to each other and that they light up the whole figure quite even. I don't know if it is the best solution, but I think if you make the light from L1 warmer, and the light from the less intense L2 colder the difference would make the shapes pop better. I tried to simulate this with some adjustments to color balance and saturation, and I think it kinda works (it would be better if it was painted instead of c).
    I would suggest that you add some bounce light in places, particularly prominent is the inside of the skirt (discrete arrow :P).
    And last, but probably not least in your opinion, the folds on her skirt is very nicely rendered but you might want to consider losing some of them and repaint some of them to accentuate the shape of the bottom better. As it is I'm afraid her right ass cheek has gone missing

But I'm very impressed by this, I think you made the right choice to paint over the lines in places, keep pushing it

Thanks a bunch guys both for the compliments and the critiques throughout the process of making that piece which helped me make it way better!

@Rubisko-
    WOW, it looks WAY better with the warm-cold contrast! The light setup was supposed to be a flourescent light as the main one (from the right), a weak blue secondary light and an ambient white/gray light, as if the environment was an indoor public place like a mall or a subway or something. But I guess using a warm light adds alot to the piece. I'll use it next time
    I understand what you're talking about with the bounce, although I don't get how the light should bounce since originally the blue light comes from above (can be indicated by the fact the skirt casts shadows on her thigh/butt). But I haven't thought about the fact that bounced light is conspicuous on white surfaces, I'll remember that.
    As for the skirt, I honestly have no clue how to pull it off. I drew the skirt like it is right now because of the movement. Can the skirt both drape over her bottom (and accentuating it's shape) and give the dynamic feel of the movement?
    Thanks a bunch, your criticism was very helpful and I will definitely use your tips from now on!

Aaaand here's the full Saimoe entry I made
    Last edited by Shnorkel; 06-15-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnorkel, on my thread
    Aw man now I'll never have a chance of winning!
    I wouldn't be so sure. For one thing, your layout is many times more creative than mine; you fit everything into one picture; you've even got a nice papery look to it. Two, everything about this girl is cute (I mean, she turns into a turtle).

As for actual critique? Check out that horizon line. Compliments aside from what I've already said? I'm loving that skirt.