Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a pretty good idea for a manga.But i dont know where to start. Any help?

I have a pretty good idea for a manga.But i dont know where to start. Any help?

I have this great story idea but idk where i should begin with my manga. If anyone can get me started and give me steps i should take when creating my manga it would greatly be appreciated.

Ones upon a time.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Moved to the Manga Works section.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Well, you could do what Mark Crilley did, show the end, and then go back to the beginning of the story, and tell the story of what happened up to the point it took whatever bad turn took place.

What I usually do is just startup a word document and give myself a few headings - Characters, setting, genre, structure. I fill in the characters details, flesh out notes regarding setting, identify the genre I want to go in and then plot out a structure for each of the plot points I want to cover. In terms of structure I've found it handy to imagine each chapter as having four acts. So I'll break each down into those four and note what I want to cover within them. From there I can usually identify what needs to be said, shown and featured. Makes scripting much easier.

There's loads of tutorials online and a couple here if I remember right on what to do after that. It's really important to get the groundwork and foundations down first though, I think.

Just my method, anyway.

I always start by writing a newly bought notebook that way I can take it with me and write extra notes ideas in dif places.
    Also it helps me edit because having to reread the entire thing and retype is a lot better than reading over and over.

Before I construct a beginning what I like to do is bring up notepad on my iPod and just type out: 1) the general goal or aim of the story, 2) ideas and different directions the plot could be directed in 3) brief character descriptions (personal characteristics not physical) and then once I get that done and have a broad idea of what the story is and the different ways I could manipulate it I then pull the strings together and write out the beginning. I also get friends and family to read it so that any plot holes and mistakes which I've missed are pointed out and fixed. That is how I write my stories, hope it helps

I dont think people can tell you how to write fiction. So many people do it their own way

Plan it and then write it. Everyone has ideas for creative works, but unless you have the skill and the commitment to work on it until you produce something that you're satisfied with, your ideas don't mean shit. Saying you don't know where to start is a great form of procrastination. Start planning and the beginning of the story will come naturally, provided you're a half-decent writer. If you're a shit writer, then practice writing and learn about writing until you're not shit anymore. If you can't come up with character designs, think about the characters more and think about similar works to see what they did. If you still can't think of character designs, you're probably a shit artist. Practice drawing, painting, etc. until you're not shit anymore. Then start working on the big project. You probably won't be too impressed with your old ideas if you've really developed as an artist or writer, so work on something you think is cool at that point. The dilemma of the artist is that they're constantly learning and experimenting with their craft, so they tend to think their old projects were shit.

That's what it takes to make a decent graphic novel. Think of it like a sport. You start out thinking "Hey, soccer looks pretty fun." So you join a soccer club and learn to play. Then you realise that you have to be fit to play soccer, and start exercising (life drawing, flash fictions). You get pretty fit, and join a soccer team. Once you're on the team you realise that you need to have the skills to play soccer, but you also need to understand strategy. This is like learning to think about the ideas your work conveys and represents, the 'deep theme of the work'. I can't really take this analogy any further because I haven't learned any more than this about art or writing, and I'm not a soccer player. Getting into the pro leagues of either is very difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Ignore the first half of Delp's first paragraph, listen to the rest of it, and pay extra attention to his second one.

EDIT: IMO, anyway. We're bother perfectly (in)valid.
    Last edited by Bacon_Barbarian; 05-31-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.