Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manga tips for a good writer

Manga tips for a good writer

First of all this is my first thread, my name is Khalil Withrow or just call me O (the letter). The letter O is not actually signifigant and is just a letter i like the sound of, it also happens to be the name of one of the main characters in a manga im writing.

SO ive never written a manga but i want to try a diffrent writing style. Ive been reading a bunch of mangas to see the style and ive talked to ppl who read a lot of them. I got a few of them to help me out and im starting one.
    So far I have no specific story because i write in steps
    1. Setting: Ill think of the time and place then the cultures then id draw a crude map

2. Characters: Specificly there are 8 main characters with 3 of them being the main main characters (im not sure if thats confusing or not) but I go personality:weakness:strengths:alignmentowers) I tend not to think about what they look like until the end

3. Generall plot: I think of an antogonist (hard for mangas cause there could be many, though mine is just human problems) then what they do, then they're power (like do they have an army or are they a powerfull demon)

4. Then i get the characters refined, giving them each a history, personality, and relationship (this is easy for me because character developement never was hard though i tend to add remove and completely remake charactrs at this stage)

5. This is where i write the actual draft

Anyways i would like tips from people who write mangas as i tend to use this method for novels and short stories, i dont know if this is to much effort or not enough
    If you would like to actually hear the plot of the story i can post it but since im on my ipad and typing is a pain, itll have to be later or only on request.

First tip to do a Manga: Be Japanese.
    Second tip to do a Manga: Live on Japan.
    Third tip to do a Manga: Know perfect Japanese.

I feel like thats perfectly wrong, thats like saying to be a rapper you have to be black, lived a bad life, and from America

No, basically the whole definition of "Manga" comes from be part of the Japanese culture, at the point that you are Japanese, you live in Japan and you know by your personal experience the culture and reality. Outside of this, the term is useless and it's just "comic".

Also, do you have 3 main characters? Do you work like 3 main stories at the same time?

What the fuck are you talking about just make a fucking comic jeez. You can't be a fucking Japanese rapper if you're American, but you can be an American rapper. Same thing as you can't be a Japanese comic book author if you're from America but you can be an American comic author.

EDIT: Aw Clock u ninja'd me

Calm down.

Ok, i guess i was using the term wrong. So manga isnt the type of art/writing style? (Sorry for looking like an idiot but I'm just a bit confused)

I definately did not mean to offend though, did not think it was an angering question

No, manga isn't a style. It can be manga-influenced but it cannot be manga.

Ok, so can I get tips for writing a good manga influenced comic?