Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Manga tips for a good writer

Well, I was mostly just pointing out that said lore is what makes alot of western comics inaccessible to new fans... I'm sure that there are many stand-alone examples out there of even the batman or superman franchises, but with the way that I've frequently seen it being handled, it can be a little like going to watch a new movie of Jason and the Argonauts and finding out the director expected you to read the Odyssey first.

The later star trek and gundam series have exact the same problem, so I'm not trying to smear their quality or anything. It's just a very large-scale underlying problem with the system that has become industry standard. It's gotten to the point that even comics which have no common ground can easily be confused with the ones that do by the uninitiated.

This is ignoring the scenarios where some parts of the series are considered far better than others, too. x_x
    Last edited by Regantor; 08-06-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Want to point something. Western comics =/= DC and Marvel. Yes those are the most "mainstream", but western comics are pretty wide on subjects and industry.

I have pretty big pile of Dark Horse/Image/general independent comics aswell as a slew of european stuff, so yeah. Just pointing out the generalized problems of the western industry, as Kodos was in manga terms.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Want to point something. Western comics =/= DC and Marvel. Yes those are the most "mainstream", but western comics are pretty wide on subjects and industry.
    Yep! Although if you're an American it can often be very hard to find comics not made by the big two. Larger comics stores are likely to carry them, sure, but smaller comic places will only carry DC/Marvel and some of the larger 'others' like Archie's Sonic/Megaman stuff, Star Wars stuff, and *possibly* Udon's stuff.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

And if you're not American... Well, then, good luck. >_>

(It's easier to find stuff from Marvel/DC in england than it is to find stuff from england.)
    Last edited by Regantor; 08-06-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    What about France? I know they have a healthy comics industry. But this is all a bit off topic, now, I think. Back to writing eveyrone!

Also, as an aside, Regcat - I sent you a email. Dunno if you got it. ;|

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Good topic for a thread, its nice to see someone wanting advise from the community. I won't fill up a post here with loads of advise, I'll make a new writing advise thread and all that I can help with will be revealed there.