Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556575859 LastLast

Thread: Demon's Critique Collection

I like the one of the girl. Not sure if it was intentional or not, given Gedeon's last comment, but I think there's a softness about her jawline and lower features that makes it look more European in style than the sharper features I'd normally associate with anime.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    ^^^ Ditto

(This might sound random but... why are almost all of your girl characters like, monsters? Should we... talk?)

Also, on the last sketch.... yes, gawds, a guy. Still Waaaa-aaaay too feminine. I think your main problem is coming from the hips and legs. Guys are more square-ish, the don't have rounded thighs like that.

Other than that... *thumbs up*
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

JJ - Thanks, and yeah that is true, I will see if I can fix it or not.

Sylux - Thanks man!

Arsland - Thanks!!! I'm glad you think so ^_^

Gaff - Ah thanks! Yeah, I was trying to be less generic manga (except those eyes OTL), however i've got a few portrait studies im working at the moment, they will probably be posted up much later once they are all done, and personally I prefer that style of drawing faces to the super sharp pointy chins

Rebel - Not many of them are monsters ^^; most of them that are monsters are usually commissions/requests on DA unsurprisingly. xD Thanks for the tips, and I guess, however I checked in the mirror and from some refs and other than the width they aren't too far off of what I would expect, but I will box them out a bit I guess.

Finally got round to hand studies, sigh I think I failed badly with broken finger syndrome ^^;

SPOILER! :

For valentines day funnily enough Dx

Ooooh, hand studies!

I really like these. =)

There's a bit of inconsistency error-wise, so those'll probably iron themselves out the more studies you do. But the most consistent thing I see is line weight/thickness.

What makes hands really stand out is their delicate nuance. A think outline destroys/skews a lot of that.

Another cool thing you touched on is identifying planar shifts in your studies. It'd be awesome if you make another hand study soon where you really sit down (take about 2-3 hours) and explore all the simple shapes within the hand and identifying all the planar shifts. It'd be be a lot more pronounced in a skeletal study, but it's better if you do it both ways.

Knowing how to think of it like a complex box with a lot of bevels will really help with your understanding of it--as well as help you light it under any light scenario.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Wow, amazing work on the hands. (Although, if you used your own for ref, I must say you have slender hands.

Just one thing: make sure you watch out on the proportions there. Your fingers seem to shrink/grow depending on the pose they're in.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

digging those hands!!! o.o

hehe yay for the hand studies!! as i already said they are really nice be careful you don't make the hands too thin though.
    it's especially noticable when you draw the hands from side view. they seem a bit flat to me.

the first hand is also a bit too narrow, the wrist would be almost as broad as the hand itself. i see though that hand palms go well, the last hand you drew looks very nice ^^

that were the general mistakes i could point out. giving more in-depth critique would be as already said, the small inconsistencies. i think that that's not something you can critique. developing good observance skills and a lot of repetition on the subject will help you with that.

@Sedistra - Thanks!! took a lot of effort to get these looking half decent ^^; yeah, there were quite a few things in them that made me want to hit myself with a stick an hour later :P hopefully they will go with time, as for the outline effect, I think that was just me being heavy with the pen, I will try to be more light with the pen next time though thanks for the feedback

@AnimeRebel - Thanks, these hands are actually from a pack fortunately and yeah I would agree, I will look out for that next study.

@Cloudy - Thank yeeeee <3

@Call - Oki :3 you already gave a pretty detailed run down of the errors anyhow, thank ye

------
    More old nonsense that is definitely flawed (Anatomy from ref);
    SPOILER! :
    Yes... it's a male anatomy study, and a terrible one done from reference

Boob problemo's (also ref'd)

My attempt at stylised poses without references... I think I need to stop attempting this, pointing out any blatant anatomy flaws would be appreciated (despite the stylisation)

Armour design for a KodosRP character

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post

My attempt at stylised poses without references... I think I need to stop attempting this, pointing out any blatant anatomy flaws would be appreciated (despite the stylisation)
    You should be doing more of this, this is the application part of learning. Study from ref is good but dont make it a crutch. Otherwise youll get too dependent on ref. Try creating more poses from your imaginations. Just think of daily stuff like walking pose, sitting pose, etc

I like the male body study though. The shading you did there is quite nice.

Keep it up mate!

the study without reference is awesome! just be careful with lengths and proportions. keep checking if one leg is same length to the other (even tho they have foreshortening) by flipping page and drawing its mirror image :3 that's the only technique i can recommend cause i'm no expert in anatomy and muscle group parts... but i hope that helps hehe...

that's the only thing i see now... length of leg to the other leg. then length of arm to the other arm. this goes for both poses... :3
    pose is pretty fluid now! no more stiffness :3 you overcame it! congrats :3

armor is all cool buddy! you're getting good with clothes and accessories! such fast improvement... even though you're busy and say you draw less nowadays, i see that you've thought a lot about what you draw. You did good quality practice for short :3
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/