Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859 LastLast

Thread: Demon's Critique Collection

For the first image, the character is not in perspective with the background. From what it looks like i think you're going for a 3 point perspective shot? As everything is kinda angle to point up to the top, if not lemme know and ill throw a red line at you C;

As for the rest, since jjjorgie had already cover most of the stuff, just wanna point out a few things, i notice with the shading style that you are trying to go for of then the nose end up looking as if they are not align very well with the overall face. They tent to lean to one side. I know you cant flip traditional drawing, but what i like to do when sketching on paper is to hold the paper up against the light, and look at it from the back, that way the image is flip and you can try to spot out the mistakes.

Also, this could be personally preference, but i would try to simplify the shading around the face, and keep the face area with as little contrast as possible. That way it can pop out a bit and catch the eye easier. But thats just me ;D

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    Okay, on the WIP: The thigh on the left is slightly too short. So seems the arm on the right (might have to do with the lack of a strong shoulder). The breast on the right is too far to the left; move it closer to it's corresponding arm.

On Iccy's Pimp: The thumb of the hand on the left seems a little long. Also, her head looks really shrunken into her chest (I don't think it's perspective is portrayed well)

On the next: The forearms are too long and lack good shape; they kinda just look like tubes. The hands and feet are different sizes. I don't think you should've drawn the head at an almost 3/4 view. That doesn't make sense and it kind of throws off the face with that eye on the right.

This last one: The thighs seems slightly thin while the closest calf is VERY thick (especially compared to the other). The closest shoulder should be a little broader. Her nose looks to be slightly too close to the right.
    Thank you for that c: I will try to fix as much as I can ;o however with the one after Iccy's pimp, that was from reference, and the model was rather... well, her arms were kinda thin and tube like O_O so there isn't much I can do there without over emphasizing. The head is at 3/4? I thought it was only slightly turned to the right ;o but ok, thanks c:

Quote Originally Posted by doghateburger View Post
    For the first image, the character is not in perspective with the background. From what it looks like i think you're going for a 3 point perspective shot? As everything is kinda angle to point up to the top, if not lemme know and ill throw a red line at you C;

As for the rest, since jjjorgie had already cover most of the stuff, just wanna point out a few things, i notice with the shading style that you are trying to go for of then the nose end up looking as if they are not align very well with the overall face. They tent to lean to one side. I know you cant flip traditional drawing, but what i like to do when sketching on paper is to hold the paper up against the light, and look at it from the back, that way the image is flip and you can try to spot out the mistakes.

Also, this could be personally preference, but i would try to simplify the shading around the face, and keep the face area with as little contrast as possible. That way it can pop out a bit and catch the eye easier. But thats just me ;D
    I wasn't going with a three way perspective to be honest, i'm not really sure how it was supposed to work :/ can I see this redline you spoke of? I was planning on redrawing it anyway, but if I knew what I was doing that would be a better start hahah OTL

I think I get what you mean about the nose yeah, but what is it about the shading that is doing that out of interest? I'm not really sure how I would go about fixing it ;o

Oh, yeah that does make sense c: well, i'm working on something right now, I will try to keep the face contrast lower this time and see how it goes c: there was always something about my face shading that bugged me to be honest, maybe this is what it is ;o

Thanks for the critique c:
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 07-18-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Regarding the nose, I find that most of the time the base of the nose are off.

And the base tent to be a bit too big in my opinion. I think you're trying to make the facial proportions more realistic but it doesnt really fit the shape of the faces. It work out on the pimp you did for me, but the second and third image, you can kinda see in my red line they are kinda off. Maybe you can try and simplify a bit, see if that helps.

As for your environment sketch. taking a second look at it, I think you were trying to make the foreground a bit tilted..as in the ground right?

This could be kinda tricky to explain, but pretty much what you wanna do is isolate the foreground and the background when it comes to the vanishing point (VP)

In your initial sketch the horizon line (eye level) is not really clear, and the vanishing points as well. So my guess is that this is a 2 point perspective to the basic. So here is the red line...kinda

So what I did was try to make the ground in the foreground obviously uneven with the ground in the background. Mark the 2 vanishing points which are off page. and mark the horizon line. The VP for the foreground will be different as its not parallel to the background. So yeah.. just try to map things out a bit before heading into something like this xD

I'm going to be honest and say that technically the nose is completely fine, it's just a matter of style and if you're going for those proportions then its fine. I even prefer your style a bit more, its a little more interesting and strays beyond the typical manga proportions. personally I think the small problem is the right eye, where you tried to put it in perspective too much but that doesnt really make sense with the angle of the head
    im talking about this pic btw http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...ps01733d29.png

now for this one: http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psa0b25980.png
    you're drawing the ribcage quite weird and your making the stomach jut out from the belly button too much and at a weird angle. this is a really crude quick overline to show u what i mean http://i.imgur.com/Iaz4SNI.png
    also how come she's so hunched? her bicep is quite low as well

the scene at the top was addressed well by iccy and jorgie so ill leave that alone

but yeah you're doing great!! your rendering is doing nicely. the anatomy practice stuff is great too, on the first first one (http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7a3b2478.jpg) you made the legs a bit too short but otherwise very nice and interesting, very smart of you to color code as well. also I'd love to see you stray more away from the typical drawing of female characters in referenced poses and practice more with colors just to keep your work a little more varied!!! keep up the good work

Ah yeah, I see what you are getting at now Iccy I will try that out in my more stylised pieces, i've been wanting to get a bit more realistic and less cartoony anyway for a while now thanks!

Thanks Toast :3 that was very helpful indeed I actually picked up some watercolours for once ;o so i'm going to give that a try at somepoint, but I still feel that my shading/rendering is lacking :/
    OTL female referenced characters, haha, yes, I shall make sure to do that :P thanks

Some anatomy and shading practice, now that i'm out of my artblock again;

NSFW:
    SPOILER! :

Not really sure what is going on with the shading, it always seems very rough in general... hmm.

Not worked on this for a while, but I will get back to it eventually... someday;

Took a life drawing class, and this was the second weeks work probably my best male anatomy in like... ever
    The genitals were conveniently hidden from where I was, so no need to spoiler;

and another WIP of a drawing for DA;

Last edited by Demonfyre; 09-30-2013 at 05:55 PM.

It certainly looks very sound. The only bit I'd be unsure of is the relationship between his neck and shoulders, but not having seen the model, I'm only guessing.

Do you mind my asking how long they gave you for the drawing? When I went to a tutored class, they were big on not getting us to draw the face, presumably as a time-saving measure. Also the model fainted, but that's another story...

Hmm... probably an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half if all the breaks the model had are factored in. I was going quite slow compared to some people, as they were managing to get hair and such in, but I was more concerned about getting the foreshortening as correct as I could. Thanks for the feedback, it's hard to describe why the neck was like that since I didn't really put much emphasis into the environment. But it looked rather awkward for the model to hold to be honest when I was actually there. However I did make the right shoulder too large initially anyway, which probably carried on and made it incorrect. Thanks for pointing it out

Continued sketch from yesterday;

and a scapula for anatomy;

Hey, time for an updatee, any critique would be greatly appreciated

Thumbs/Ideas/Pre Studies for a larger drawing i'm working on;

Life Drawing/Anatomy;

Waist/Bust Sketches;

Things are looking pretty good. Folds and textures are fantastic as always. Kinda hard to comment on thumbnails since they are incomplete and all, but the curb seems to have lost it's depth in the last two. Model seems okay proportionately.

Life drawing looks good. The texture that you bring out is pretty impressive.

Apophis... I've gotta admit that I'm only noticing the second time seeing this, but her arm is a little short. A mistake made by absolutely anyone and everyone, but still. Her elbow is basically in the right place, but it feels like her forearm+hand should be longer (Keeping in mind that it's supposed to reach half way down to her thigh, and not the waist.) Still quite like it, anyhow.

Second guy seems okay. Might have the same problem to a bit of a lesser extent. I'm assuming he's quite young by the body type, but if not, his head is rather big.

S'it for now.

Keep up the good work.