Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Shindoutou's occasional sketch-dump

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    ^^^^ *Shakes head* Not true. This pose/angle is perfectly fine. (Although, perhaps a little boring/overdone) And it wouldn't be semi-realism style until you've gone down to an extreme worm's eye view + added huge boobs. heh.

As long as her head is looking up, it works. Once you shift it down (Like the redline) you break the impression you were going for. (Innocence/sadness) So follow the redline, but keep the angle of the head.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

Not quite.

Anime doesn't have a response to the jawbone by itself. The more and more of it you show(ie the more you make a character tilt their head upwards) , the more you have to look outside of anime to properly render it in a tasteful fashion.

That's why "Bottom-up" head poses are never shown in anime/manga. They're always done from the profile view, or from a bird's eye (Or intermediate views within a certain degree) view so they can hide the neck behind the face.

101 Dalmations Member Shindoutou's Avatar
    Heavy discussions here.. :P You have a point Sedistra, I don't see many manga/anime-style pictures with heads looking up, and I can't seem to find them when I look for them. But it doesn't mean I can't draw from that angle, I just need to improvise, and indeed maybe combine different styles to get it right.
    But that's just what I think.

For now, I've been practising some body parts, so go ahead and tell me where to improve ^^;
    SPOILER! :

And some females:
    SPOILER! :

Hmm, my first question is whether or not you are using references for that muscle/body practice? If you aren't then I highly suggest using them and not attempting to guess, well... not until you are completely confident with them. Also again i'm not sure whether you are doing this or not, but I think you should be trying to concentrate highly on the 3D forms of the body, in particular with the muscles. On the torso with the muscles it looks like a bit like a body with muscles tattooed on afterwards. Personally I would also try not to stylize, but I guess that is your choice. I like the girl sketches at the bottom, interesting poses, I also really like them feet. Not really a critique... but oh well, hope it helps.

To your first question: yes, I am using reference (my imagination is not that rich ); a book on anatomy of the human body. This book shows the internal muscle structure (though simplified a bit), and how it shows on the outside.
    I ultimately do want to go for a stylised style (lol), but you might be right that it's better to first learn to draw realisticly, and then simplifying..
    Thank you for your comments

Here is one of those occasional sketch-dumps again!
    Some girls again, characters I've designed myself, and am still in the progress of designing them :P

SPOILER! :

I'm using quite rough paper, so the color doesn't look as clean as I'd like..

Something went wrong with the coloring here, added too much green I think ^^;

Tried one of them famous tsundere faces:
    SPOILER! :

And a nice sexy pose :3

Untill next time! Thanks for replying in advance :3
    Last edited by Shindoutou; 03-26-2013 at 05:49 PM.

I really love your style! All the characters look very well fleshed out, and well done! I only have one thing I can point out--in the first one, it looks like her ear is a bit out of place, like it's sticking out too far, judging by where here jaw goes in before the tuft of hair comes down.

The only other thing I'd like to see, though is certainly privy to your preference, is some of your art maybe inked! They look fantastic! And I'd like to see how well it transfers to another medium :3 But that's just a suggestion, and certainly not anything you'd have to do to keep improving. Mostly, I think you stuff looks great!
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Thanks Blue_Dragon! I see what you said about the ear, it is out of place indeed, thanks for pointing that out!

I've sketched some more today:
    SPOILER! :

And I've tried to draw leather for the first time in my life, using this as a bit of reference: http://lynfir.deviantart.com/art/Lea...ront-121105962
    SPOILER! :

Regular Member TheVermillionFox's Avatar
    Pretty, though.
    I think that if you're drawing leather maybe you should give it a certain texture? It might be hard on paper though.
    I am actually Roy Mustang.

^I agree with the texture. But the stitches and all are looking fantastic!

One other thing I might suggest, and this is just being picky, is to do the same thing on the left side of her head that you did on the right (technically, what you did on her left side.) Although her hair is skimmed back very tight, I think you should add some of those "bumps" you did to give it just a little more volume. Even if you're hair's tight tight, it's going to rise off you head just a wee bit.

But seriously, that's a nit pick. These sketches are far better than any of my "finished" drawings! Superb work! I'm becoming a fan. Have you a deviantart page? :3
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique