Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V-Type (Concept Stage.)

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Thanks dude. It may be an idea to hit an easy medium, but I'm certainly not about to turn this into another gaggle of space bishies at any rate. Just wondering if it was actively a turn-off. ;I
    Hey, there, ladies.
    Uguu~! ♥

Roar. Since I wasn't really happy with Alana's design I ended up seriously changing it. This means I also have actual comic pages to go back and change now too, but eh... I thought I'd post the new version anyway so you guys can tell me if you like the first one better, or how flaming lame this new one is, or something. -_-

Going for a bit more of a macho thing rather than a squishy thing.

Also, zero-geeeeeeeee~

Also also, more mecha;

Name: NAL2 “Pulec”
    Production company: Navotny Orbital Assemblies.
    Height/Weight: 10 Meters / 241 Tonnes
    Basic Description: A single ion-engined oddity, the Pulec or "tadpole" was Navotny's attempt to make a lander as small and agile as the AL series. Not only was this unsuccessful, but a whole ton of downgraded radar issues and structural problems with the legs make it only really suitable for buyers on a budget. The biggest positive note is that despite being half the weight, it can still use all of the exact same weapons as it's big brother the Netvor.

yeah i like this Alana better

Appreciate it, man. Kodos seems to prefer 'er too.

It probably doesn't help that she reminds me more than a little of a chump from my last projecty thing, through... You know, the crashing ball'o'flame.
    Last edited by Regantor; 05-25-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I never thought your characters were unattractive. The style you draw them in has a lot of flexibility for unique facial quirks and features. It makes them feel more human.

Thanks. It can be pretty hard to tell in a medium so filled with fan service, so I do worry about people simply not liking my characters at first glance. Maybe I'm just too used to 'artgineering' people like I do mecha.

Anyhow. Cheers for the overall support, guys. It's gone a long way to stopping me from ditching this idea indeed. There are still some revisions I need to make, but I'll try to get some pages up sooner or later. :3

Until then, as a bonus, I wouldn't mind showing some of the ridiculous amounts of paperwork I did to make the mecha in this uber-realistic, if people are interested...
    Last edited by Regantor; 05-27-2012 at 06:43 PM.

ya

Paperwork?
    Let us see.

Alright, well... I did my best to make at least a little bit of this understandable, but the simple answer is 'MATHS', really. So I apologize in advance, but at least one of you might be able to get something usefull out of this...

Also, keep in mind that I have no idea how relevant to the plot alot of this stuff is even going to be, so please don't take this as stuff that characters are actually going stand around talking about within the comic. x_x

I used Excel for alot of it, so it isn't quite as complicated as it probably looks, and practically all of the information on stuff like the exhaust velocity of a rocket, to the density of materials, I simply looked up on wikipedia... But yeah. Feel free to ask me specific questions about junk. Or science and engineering questions in general, I guess.

///////////////////////////

-Theory-

First off, let me note that all the landers in the series are suitable for use in low-gravity or space environments only... Mostly because all the technologies involved are available in some crude form now. The name 'lander' comes from their ability to hop around on asteroids or other low-gravity places like the moon, and make short trans-orbital jumps if they really have to.

Now, why are they shaped like giant men instead of proper rockets, then, if I'm being so smarty-pants and realistic? The reason is that gimballed thrusters are a thing, and by putting the thrusters on the bottom of the legs, the 'rocket' can change it's direction just by altering it's center of gravity (AKA moving the legs). Real-life rockets use a whole bundle of extra mini "apogee" thrusters to just knock the nose into the direction you want to go, but these add weight and can obviously run out of fuel.

The fact that the landers actually have fronts and rears is probably the biggest artistic license I've taken... but yeah. It would probably look a bit sucky if they didn't.

-Diagram-

-Thrusters and boring maths stuff-

Ion engines, the kind used by the Netvor and the Pulec, already exist but are ridiculously power hungry. This is exactly why those two landers are so damn heavy. One thruster is 10 tons, and requires an 10,000Kw, 5 ton nuclear reactor (weight based on a los alamos heat pipe design) ontop of it just to power it... plus a 2 ton tungsten plate to stop the radiation from killing the crew! It uses carbon buckyballs for fuel since carbon is easy to find in the asteroid belt.

The 'ALB's use much smaller and lighter Arcjet engines, which are not properly being made yet, but exist enough for me to know what their stats are. They are basically way more power efficient but have sucky thrust. They use hydrogen as fuel, which is pretty abundant too, but harder to separate from minerals.

I used these stats as a minimum value for messing around with the crafts volume, via an excel spreadsheet I made which did the whole '(height x width x depth) x density = mass' thing for me automatically. After entering the percentage of the craft taken up by fuel, and the thrust values of the engines involved, the same spreadsheet also works out the delta-V, or how much 'range' the rocket has, for me.

SPOILER! :
    The maths for figuring out a craft's delta V;

Engine Exhaust Velocity in meters per second x LN (Craft weight empty of fuel in tons / Craft weight full in tons) = max speed in meters per second

The density is 0.35 tons per meter, the same as modern aircraft. 15% percent of the weight is the structural weight, and another 15% is the hydraulics to get the thing to move, much higher than the 4% of real landing gear. They are between 30% and 40% pure fuel, alrough that is actually ridiculously low for space craft (The saturn V rocket that went to the moon was more than 90%!)

Pretty much everything is aircraft grade 6061 aluminum alloy.

Note the fact that all of the designs also have radiators to stop the crews from boiling to death, but I'm sure you have had enough maths for now, so I'll just tell you that this is the reason that the space shuttle always flies with the bay doors open in space. :p

-The Results-

The Netvor and the Pulec thus have a maximum speed of 68,400 km per hour, and the ALB has a rather more ridiculous 185,828 km per hour in a vacuum.

-Guns!-

Everybody is armed with missiles and chainguns, plus shoulder-mounted grenades that basically just put a big swarm of ballbearings in the way to stop incomming missiles. Putting as much lead and heat-seaking death in the sky as possible is a good idea, since the aforementioned weight stuff means that you won't have too much weight left over for armour plating.

Lasers are a waste of time, as even with a 25MW, 1 meter lens laser (way more powerful than any of the generators I put above), you could still only effectively fire up to 19 km in space. Take a gander at how fast everything can go, and you'll see that this is a bit ridiculously short ranged. Lasers are the only thing in space that even has a range, due to a law of physics called diffraction. Everything else just runs out of fuel to change direction with.

Just for lulz, the ALB's large left handed cannon is actually the 120mm cannon pinched directly off the M1 Abrams tank. :3

The weight and stats for all sorts of crap like the pilot, the life support system, the radar, the antennas, e.t.c, came from so many fighter planes and whatnot it would be ridiculous to put them all down here...

That's it for now. I have more stuff to do with space travel, orbits and launch windows, but somehow I think even mecha fans are gonna find that stuff entirely useless. x_x
    Last edited by Regantor; 05-28-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Nice, man - always cool to see the background behind your stuff. Do you 're-invent' the universe and tech from scratch each time you start a new story?