Thread: Traditional to Digital

Traditional to Digital

So I'm a traditional artist right, but a few months back I picked up a tiny Wacom Splash. I then proceeded to attempt to draw something on it, and I was greatly dissatisfied with the results. But that's not the big point I'm trying to ask since I'm still a young artist. I don't have a great grasp on foundations yet.

Should I develop better foundations in traditional before switching to digital? Or do I just need more practice with a pen and tablet?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    If you have a good grasp on your foundation (traditional) skills, then you can easily make the transition to digital in a few weeks of use. I had the same issue when I first picked up a graphics tablet maybe 5 years ago, it's all in getting used to looking at your screen while using the pen elsewhere, it's an odd thing for your brain to get at first, but not too hard.

Do try to balance out your digital and traditional use though, keeping both skills nice and oiled up will help you a lot.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Which I got into digital art, I was NOT a good artist. I worked with my tablet everyday to get used to it, while still traditionally sketching so that I wasn't totally disappointed at the end of the day and I could still focus of my foundation. You could also traditionally create sketches and just lineart and color them with your tablet. That way, you're working mainly on smooth lines with your tablet while being able to focus of improvement in basics (like anatomy) using a traditional, more familiar medium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it! You've made me a lot less apprehensive about picking up my tablet and I actually tried my hand at doing some line work for one of my sketches.