Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Saimoe Tournament [Swimsuit Edition] Registration! [Dates and Banner up!]]

Man...saimoe's a harder style to do than shonen...so many line for the eyes! (sigh!) Its all right Shagg! You can do it!

You can check out the official thread. Its in the contest area. All you need to know about moe is there :>.

Its still kinda tough drawing super cutesie girls when the only women you draw are are usually as hard boiled as your guys though. My problem is trying to capture the age in both the body & the face...the OC that I'm drawing is actually like 18-21. Having problems making her 14-16...but requirements are requirements. Wouldn't be a tourney without rules.

Well, honestly man, I find it helps to include as little detail as possible in the face, and choose what you do put down very carefully instead. Super-moe style is just plain different from depicting things 'properly'. I draw mostly robots, monsters and cyborgs myself. :p

Anyhow. My name isn't in the registration list yet, so I'm not actually sure if my entry was excepted or not...

I started drawing by referencing a moe-style artist on this very site about four years ago; even though I've started drawing in a more semirealistic style than I used to, it's not too difficult to switch to a style I know how to do already. I suppose you'll be good at what you start with; moe is probably a good exercise for anyone who doesn't draw moe, just as semirealism and total realism are (definitely) good for a moe-style artist.

@ Regenator:"Less is more" I get that. Trying to simplify my normal stuff.

@ Matt: I've referenced stuff here, stuff on deviant...some sight dedicated exclusively to moe...Sailor Moon (ugh!) & even Lum. It's all very simple. That's true. But therein lies the difficulty:making alluring art with this simplified style. Can I do Saimoe? Sure its not that tough. Can I make a Saimoe swimsuit pin up girl without making her told old looking? I dunno...but I'm trying.

ok I think I want to join this! It'll be my first entry on a tournament like this so doubt I even get pass the qualification xD But hell, I give it a try :P

Name: eltoroguaco (My nickname is Guaco so you can write that if you'd like)
    DA: eltoroguaco.deviantart.com
    Number of Oc's: 2 (I'll try 2, but I might only get time for 1 since it's only a week and a half left of this contest.)

Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

@Black Shaggie - The hardest part for me is balancing the cute factor with sex appeal. Though it's not conventionally moe, Ty Lee from Avatar is a good example of this balance that's giving me so much trouble. If you're having trouble balancing age and visual appeal, how about looking at some art by Tony Taka? He does a great job of making late-teen characters look nice. He's got some lolis too, so if you wanna drop the age even more, there's those. Just be aware that you shouldn't search him at work or school. What I linked to is some of his more innocent stuff, though some of them are still ecchi.

While the essence of moe is simplicity and innocence (to me), I've seen some adorable characters in more complex styles. Baccano's Sylvie (only found one picture of young Sylvie; no hotlinking allowed), for example. In that same series, I've even found some late teen/early twenties characters to be quite cute. Like Ennis and Miria.

List updated. Yes Reg you are in no worries xD.

MiKuRu: I think your message board is full XD that may be a problem when submitting :P Just wanted you to know in case you did not get a message yourself XD I noticed when trying to send you a pm.

Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART