Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Are Viral

So a person can't simply say they agree?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I don't think "I agree" is a particularly enriching response for either side of the debate. It doesn't help any kind of debate to simply say "I agree" or "I disagree" and walk off. Those types of people are the ones with picket signs flying catchy slogans who don't actually know what they mean.

What if the goal isn't to further the discussion but simply spread what you find to be a profound statement to other people.

If there is no explanation of the profundity of the statement, then I'd say you're not doing enough towards that goal. Rarely is anything self-explanatory. That's just leaving ideas about and expecting people to agree.

I don't see how it's any different than lending somebody a book you like except instead of saying "i like this book u should read it" its simply implied.

i wouldn't take anyone seriously if they just told me "I like this book you should read it". Reading is a huge time and attention investment and if someone is just gonna hand me a book and expect me to read it under the reasoning that "I like it", I'd have to say "bitch, please".

What the hell is reading like for you

It's tedious, if anything. I stare at the page and fall asleep.

I guess a more relevant example would be a movie. I'm sure a sensible person would try to at least read one thorough review of a movie before they sink 10 bucks and 2 hours (excluding commute times) to see it. Going on "I like it" would be like seeing a movie just because it's rated highly on a scale of 1-10. Amelie is a movie that scores an 8.5/10 on IMDb, but I hated that movie. I didn't see what other people saw in it. Sadly I had to sit through it anyway because I watched it by recommendation.

I find it odd that you find discovering things you don't like a generally bad experience.

I find it odd that you would prefer to waste time doing something you might not like instead of being told about it ahead of time.