Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Are Viral

Um Im not denying the memetic power of social networking but advertising shapes nearly everything in our lives. Like why does anyone give a shit if coke is better than pepsi when they taste nothing alike. And even when you rebel against the adverts somebody profits over it.

But you know what we don't even need to talk about that.

What your thread is railing against is just circlejerks isn't it. The amount of "echoes" an echo chamber produces is just that much more now that you can agree with a single click. Of course it's not healthy for critical thinking. Did you expect anyone to disagree there?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    IMO, I think the social networking thing poses a bigger threat than advertising in the long run, mostly because people don't see it as a threat. Whereas it's been a common notion that the mass media is total shit for how many years, people are generally not vilifying the people on the internet they subscribe to. They don't see them as a threat, despite the fact that social networking is influencing them in very similar ways to the mass media. IMO, it's even worse in the sense that, unlike advertising, nobody is "convincing" these people to think a certain way. They are simply giving up their individuality on their own.

Yeah dont worry about that lets talk about the second half of my post

Actually, I did expect people to disagree because the large majority of people I have on my social networks do it. Figured the chances of me finding someone who does it would be higher than they seem to be, and that they might have a reason to defend it.

But you don't agree that what you are essentially describing is a massive circlejerk?

Not necessarily a circle jerk. Rarely do the people who agree to the point in question acknowledge each other. they basically just take the original post and say "this is my opinion, out of someone else's mouth". It's less of a circle jerk than it is just plain speaking in quotes.

Its the same thing really. If everyone agrees, the echo spread farther and farther out and nobody is challenged because they wouldnt subscribe or friend people who would challenge that belief. That's circlejerking to the core just that social networking as made our arms much much longer.

I guess if that's how you'd define it. And you know it wouldn't even bother me so much if people just said it in their own words. In other words, staked claims to their own verbage when stating their opinions. IMO, there is more value in an individual statement of one's opinion as opposed to a re-blogging of someone else's. At least then, you own the words and people can attribute that statement to you because it came from your own mouth. If you own neither the words or the statement I don't even see the point in passing it as an opinion.

So you feel it is like intellectual plagiarism or something along those lines

Not plagiarism in the sense that I feel the person responsible is being dishonest or should be punished for it. Just that the person isn't putting more of themselves into the statement, but rather letting someone else speak entirely for them. You should at least own one part of your "personal" opinions, even if it's just the words you phrased them in.