Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Reality that you can't/hard to accept

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Gunzet I am going to give you the native American name "thread killer" ok?

I find it hard to believe that that video was actually comforting.

Live the life to the extreme but keep in mind that you don't regret what you have done.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    Gunzet I am going to give you the native American name "thread killer" ok?

I find it hard to believe that that video was actually comforting.
    Maybe not to you, depends on how you perceive it. You do realize death is inevitable and unknown, right? So then there should be nothing discomforting about it, seeing as though we're all living to die at some point, can't stop that shit, mang.

Buuuut I know it digs in on some people's anxiety, and thinking about death is tough if you're not in acceptance with it yet. My bad man D: though I'll take the name ;D.

Now on topic. What I find hard to accept is the fact that there's only the illusion of free will. Had a big conversation about this with the Kodos and Del on the last forum, about whether there really is actually free will, but I've come to see that there really are only a certain number of predetermined paths sadly.
    Last edited by GunZet; 05-18-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    No don't get me wrong I actually was comforted by the video. It's just odd because it's literally some dude saying "you are going to die and there's nothing you can do about it". It's an awkward awful thing to say but so true and explained very well that it just makes you say "yea ok I guess that's alright" and not worry about it.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I'm not going to die. I don't know about you guys.

I guess that is a hard reality to accept. That you're going to die, but I'm not.

9ers didn't make it to the Super Bowl. DAMN IT, I CAN'T ACCEPT IT, GRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Son44 View Post
    The reason why "I wrote philosophy has no value in our "modern", "civilized" society." Is because most of the time the attitude that "X philosophy is BS" goes hand in hand with "our modern, civilized and knowledgeable society doesn't need to know anything about trees falling or not".
    Modern philosophy has moved far beyond trees falling. Most modern philosophers subscribe to either representative realism (which says the tree doesn't make a sound because sounds are in the mind of the perceiver, the same as colours etc.) or a form of immaterialism (which says that reality is either comprised of ideas or only knowable through ideas; we cannot reach the true reality).

I think phenomenology, a form of immaterialism, provides the most believable account of our world. Phenomenology analyses the way our minds structure experience rather than the issue of whether there is a noumenal world (which, as Kant pointed out, is unknowable and thus unimportant). It questions our traditional ways of structuring our experience into frameworks, and thus questions most meta-narratives, making it compatible with postmodern philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Modern philosophy has moved far beyond trees falling. Most modern philosophers subscribe to either representative realism (which says the tree doesn't make a sound because sounds are in the mind of the perceiver, the same as colours etc.) or a form of immaterialism (which says that reality is either comprised of ideas or only knowable through ideas; we cannot reach the true reality).

I think phenomenology, a form of immaterialism, provides the most believable account of our world. Phenomenology analyses the way our minds structure experience rather than the issue of whether there is a noumenal world (which, as Kant pointed out, is unknowable and thus unimportant). It questions our traditional ways of structuring our experience into frameworks, and thus questions most meta-narratives, making it compatible with postmodern philosophy.
    Interesting, but I think you're taking my response out of context. I was just taking Sylux's comment, analysing it and stating how he had simplified my argument into the most basic form. Hence the tree example - which I personally hate.
    Anyway:
    Representative realism and immaterialism - Huh, I should read up on some of this. Do you have any formal education in philosophy, Del?

Sir-Mass-a-Lot
    Do you read the forums man he blabs about his Psychology class at University all the time

Ah, well that explains everything XD