Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reality that you can't/hard to accept

You're actually both really pretentious and I'm finding it hard to accept that

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Ok....

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

1. Opinions and free will are what make us individuals, but also what makes us fight and kill.
    2. Human beings are limited by primitive drives (eat, sleep, poop, procreate)
    3. Humans start out politically corrupt as kids (smashing things/stealing from other kids to get what they want just because they want it, and thats all that matters).
    4. We label everything and create our own mental prisons, then complain about why we aren't free.
    5. We love to repeat other peoples ideas to make ourselves feel valued.
    6. One of the hardest things to do is to let go of a belief system that makes us feel comfort and safety (even if its proven to be a scam). WE NO LIKE CHANGE
    7. Most people are codependent, and need someone else (or a government) to take care of them in one way or another, but claim to be independent.

thats all I got atm, I think about this stuff alot, so thanks for making this thread, ram

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son44 View Post
    Reality?

What is reality? Is it what we see, what we feel, taste, hear and feel? Is it what we know?
    Reality changes, our preception changes and our knowledge changes. What all of us here, on mt, look upon as an unchangeable fact, is infact changable. From the earth is flat and the center of the univers,the earth is round, the earth is not the center of the univers, we're in a solar system etc. all the way to infinite space.
    A friend showed me the first part of a quote:
    "A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything..." - John Ziman (Too bad he shoots himself in the foot with the rest of the quote, but google the rest if you want to know what I mean).

Anyway, Instead of de-railing the topic in to (some would say) philosophical rambling:
    I can't accept or not accept reality because I can't say what it is truly real or not.
    Edit: What I do have problems with is people who accept a lot of things they are taught as an unchangable reality
    Reality is that which does not go away when you stop believing in it.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Reality is that which does not go away when you stop believing in it.
    Define me "It". Also, as your saying goes now, it's a self validating fallacy:

If something is real (P), then it will not go away when you stop believing in it (Q)
    It has not gone away(Q)
    Therfore it is real (P)

Flip it around:
    If something is not real (P), then it will go away when you stop beliving in it (Q)
    It has gone away (Q)
    Therfore it is not real (P)

Another problem is: Who defines what goes away and what stays?

Shut up jeez. If there is a computer screen with Wikipedia making you feel like you're smart in front of you and you close your eyes and then when you open them up it is still there, it is real. For all intents and purposes, the philosophy of reality has no bearing or meaning in our society. The only issue in our society that might be offered the question of reality are schizophrenia cases and maybe shrooms. That's as far as it goes so just shut up about it.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Yeah, Son you messed up your inversion. It would need to be:

If something is not real (P), then it will go away when you stop beliving in it (Q)
    It has not gone away (Q)
    Therfore it is real (P)
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son44 View Post
    Define me "It". Also, as your saying goes now, it's a self validating fallacy:

If something is real (P), then it will not go away when you stop believing in it (Q)
    It has not gone away(Q)
    Therfore it is real (P)

Flip it around:
    It has gone away (Q)
    Therfore it is not real (P)

Another problem is: Who defines what goes away and what stays?
    If you are going to rely purely on deductive reasoning to assess reality you will literally never move past cogito ergo sum and a handful of other a priori things.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

¨
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    Shut up jeez. If there is a computer screen with Wikipedia making you feel like you're smart in front of you and you close your eyes and then when you open them up it is still there, it is real. For all intents and purposes, the philosophy of reality has no bearing or meaning in our society. The only issue in our society that might be offered the question of reality are schizophrenia cases and maybe shrooms. That's as far as it goes so just shut up about it.
    I don't know if you're serious or not but:

In the middle age the philosophy was that the earth is flat, we're the center of the univers and god is in everything and is everywhere. Now, please tell me how this did not affect society.
    Do the same with the Renaissance and every other reality we have embraced as real through out history.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    Yeah, Son you messed up your inversion. It would need to be:

It has not gone away (Q)
    Therfore it is real (P)
    Ah, I knew something was wrong. Next time I'll get some sleep before I try to analyse a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    If you are going to rely purely on deductive reasoning to assess reality you will literally never move past cogito ergo sum and a handful of other a priori things.
    "Cogito ergo sum" isn't a good argument becasue it doesn't define "thinking" and who am "I". Yes, I know Søren Kierkegaard said the same (I had to google Cogito Erog Sum), but me and a friend of mine actually thought about this during a 5 hour train trip to the capital of Norway.

I used deductiv reasoning to prove your argument to be fallacious at least (eventhough I failed at the inversion). Still you have yet to define me "it" in your argument. As it stands it's still fallacious by validating itself.
    Last edited by Son44; 05-18-2012 at 05:58 AM.