Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Reality that you can't/hard to accept

Quote Originally Posted by Son44 View Post
    Representative realism and immaterialism - Huh, I should read up on some of this. Do you have any formal education in philosophy, Del?
    I'm doing an A level in Philosophy at the moment (not university, Sylux!), but I also like reading philosophy books for fun. Ontology, which is the study of reality, isn't really my favourite field but it's the base for almost everything else so it's pretty important. My favourite fields are actually political philosophy and meta-ethics. Meta-ethics talks about what makes an action moral or immoral, as opposed to normative ethics which talks about how we make ethical decisions, or applied ethics, which tells us what we ought to do in particular situation.

Phenomenology is important as a sturdy ontological basis for a post-structuralist anarchist perspective (my view) and for formulating morals that aren't either nihilistic or absolutist. The arguments are fairly complicated, but basically everything is subjective and at the same time we should take a stance while acknowledging that our views are ultimately based only on our emotions.
    Last edited by Delphinus; 05-18-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

what is real and what isn't depends on your perspective though, doesn't it?

That's the whole point of phenomenology. One of the main points in it is 'the objectivity of subjectivity' - we can't know what others experience as reality, and we can't know about any external reality, if such a reality exists, so we have to accept our own experiences, along with all the biases and emotions in them, as the only reality we can ever know, but at the same time question this apparent reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

That people think firing Dan Harmon is actually a good idea and making another Big Bang Theory will make Community a better show. Fuck it.