Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reality that you can't/hard to accept

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    Double standards between the different races and the 2 genders.
    There are more than 2 genders, buddy.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Along the lines of what some others have been saying, I find it difficult to believe (though I know its true) that everything one does, even if it's for another person, is almost always (if not always) self-centered. Even something like martyrdom, or less extreme going out of one's way to help another, is subconsciously done with some kind of reward in mind; whether it be something as large as being remembered for one's sacrifice, or as small as feeling good that "you" were a nice enough person to help someone even when the direct outcome didn't benefit (or may even have been detriment) to oneself. If that makes sense.

Anyway, I'd like to be optimistic and think it's possible to for someone to do something nice for another without themself in mind at all, but having this debate in a couple different classes (and this is just what we came up with, we could be way off) has indicated that on some level of comprehension/subconscious there's always some kind of reward gained that may/is the goal for doing said kind acts.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

It is hard to accept that jaidurn/myself is not a woman (one or the other) because we would totes be married by now

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    you can still get married in some states.

something that i cant accept, being confined to something not of my own free will.
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

The thing is we're not gay so even if the entire US legalized it we wouldn't do it. Not even hold hands. Unless one of us were a chick.

This is somewhat on topic, in relation to Almanac, but is common law marriage still in play? I mean, it's kinda rude of the state to just marry you because you've lived together for like ever.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    @sy makes sense.

@blue yeah its in play last i checked. but you have to apply for it.
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

Reality?

What is reality? Is it what we see, what we feel, taste, hear and feel? Is it what we know?
    Reality changes, our preception changes and our knowledge changes. What all of us here, on mt, look upon as an unchangeable fact, is infact changable. From the earth is flat and the center of the univers,the earth is round, the earth is not the center of the univers, we're in a solar system etc. all the way to infinite space.
    A friend showed me the first part of a quote:
    "A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything..." - John Ziman (Too bad he shoots himself in the foot with the rest of the quote, but google the rest if you want to know what I mean).

Anyway, Instead of de-railing the topic in to (some would say) philosophical rambling:
    I can't accept or not accept reality because I can't say what it is truly real or not.
    Edit: What I do have problems with is people who accept a lot of things they are taught as an unchangable reality
    Last edited by Son44; 05-17-2012 at 06:32 PM.

^ That's pretentious. Unless you're having a philosophy discussion, why not substitute 'apparent reality' for 'reality' rather than quibbling over the meaning of words?

See also: every theory of ontology or epistemology ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

^ That's pretentious as well. You're assuming my point was just, like I said above, rambling about the meaning of words or the origins. In other words philosophical BS. It doesn't mean you're wrong, because I am big on the definition and meaning of words, concepts etc. Anyway:

I have problems with what we accept as reality, hence why I mentioned the progression humans have had on space and the earth's role. What we accept as real and (as implied by this thread) unchangeable is, most of the time, changeable.
    Btw. You made me remeber a sentence I was going to add at the end of my post, which I have done:
    "... What I do have problems with is people who accept a lot of things they are taught as an unchangable reality".

Also, I know a lot of people have thought about the things I mentioned above, why post it?