Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Computer hardware geeks around? Need help? :C

Any Computer hardware geeks around? Need help? :C

Any one here good with picking out computer hardware like Graphics Cards, Processors, etc. I need some advise :C

So I'll be getting a new PC on thursday and they have a pre-build one that looks promising to me. Just wanna make sure its gonna perform as good as I think it would be :C

So its

AMD A8 Quad-core 5600k 3.6GHz processor
    Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H AMD A85X Chipset
    8GB (possibly 16GB) DDR3 Ram
    Radeon HD7750 1GB GDDR5 128-bit Graphics card

Everything here is under my budget, but I'll need to be able to set up dual screen and work with high-res photoshop files (possibly 10k x 10k pixel)

Thoughts, opinions? O_o

Pretty nice looking piece of hardware if I do say so myself. I would have to do some poking around, but if this seems to fit your budget then it checks out. The problem is I'm not too familiar with dual screening, other than that you have a pretty powerful piece of hardware. I would also need to take a look out my own computer's specks to get a nice comparison. Mine is gaming/programming pc I got for Christmas, so it's pretty powerful as well. Let me just take a look at my own specs

Specs:

Nvidia Geforce GT650m 2GB graphics card
    Intel core i7 3630QM 2.40GHz processor
    16 RAM (Can't remember type sorry)
    Nor do I remember the chipset at the moment because this was a custom build, sorry

Honestly I think you're good, but get some opinions from people with dual screen experience. Also sorry couldn't remember more, but I hope this helps. Lastly, what OS are planning on getting, I assume Apple(cause they are deemed the best graphics/art stuff)

The processor you're looking at is overkill, as Photoshop isn't very processor-intensive, but a quick Google search shows it's not a bank-breaker, and it works as a sort of semi-future-proofing (e.g. if CS7 has multi-core physics simulation if Adobe ever gets off the Creative Cloud boat and makes another CS).

As long as your motherboard has decent reviews, go with it. I don't know much about mobos.

The more RAM, the better (more RAM = bigger canvases). Take that 16GB, preferably, especially if you plan on doing any kind of video editing in the future (e.g. tutorial videos, speedpainting). Make sure you have the right operating system, though. 32-bit Mac and Windows computer both don't allow for much RAM usage (well under 16GB), but 64-bit systems let you use as much as you can shove into your mobo.

The HD7750 is a respectable card and I've heard good things about it. If you need to work with blur/liquify/smudge faster, you may want to upgrade a bit, but it should be fine. If it doesn't work well enough, graphics cards are the second easiest things to upgrade in a computer (besides RAM).

Also consider hard drives/solid state drives. If an image uses more RAM than you have, it'll start storing the extra stuff on your hard drive. Therefore, you want a fast hard drive or an SSD (though just upgrading your RAM again is much more cost-effective, considering the ridiculous price tag on SSDs).

TL;DR: those specs should work just fine.
    Last edited by Matt; 08-12-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    You should be more than fine for what you're using it for.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

If you're looking for really good but inexpensive RAM, check out HyperX Kingston DDR3 series. I would tell you to stay away from Radeon, though. See if you can find an Nvidia GeForce GTX from Gigabyte, since that's the kind of mobo you're after.

I'd go for Intel and Nvidia instead of AMD, but that's just personal preference.

Definitely go for the 16 gb of ram, and make sure it is the fastest RAM that your motherboard can support. Kingston and G.Skill are generally the two brands of RAM that I like.

Also if you want to really improve the speed of your computer - and you have money to spare - invest in a solid state drive (The Samsung 840 series is really nice), and use your old hard drives for extra storage. The price on them is still higher than old hard drives - about a dollar a gig for a nice one -, but they are well worth it in my opinion.

@ Iaidoka, Thanks for the comparison, I would have gone with your specs but its way over my budget :C

@ Matt, Thanks for all the info! I'll probably be getting 64-bit Windows 8 so Ram shouldnt be much of an issue. C:

@Sylux, and Ntop, I actually prefer Nvidia and Intel combo, but they are kinda out of my budget. Unless someone know what would be the Nvidia and Intel counter part to these O_o? and Yes the RAM is Kingston, but I dont thing its the hyperX Series though...I'm not sure, I'll check it could again before confirming.

I have heard of SSD but for now, I think I'll leave it out first. I'll probably get it for my next build in the future. C:

If you're going to get an SSD, you're going to need a big one to take advantage of write speeds. Go for AMD processors because the graphics cards you WANT operate on AMD chipsets. I'd recommend the FX 4130 4X Unlocked if you know how to overclock properly, and have a good cooling system.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I dunno if overclocking would be necessary if you're not looking to do any hardcore gaming on the system, lol. But if you were going to do any overclocking, I'd recommend you go Nvidia off the bat. AMD shouldn't be too bad though, especially for a modern card.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Nvidia uses AMD chipsets, silly! At least the GeForce GTX Titan (the best evar) does.