Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Azure - My JRPG Project - Need some advice on side quests...

I'm an Adult! Member SebSchmidt's Avatar

Project Azure - My JRPG Project - Need some advice on side quests...

I've been developing a JRPG in the Unity 3D engine for a while now. Most of the key programming tasks are now completed and the story/characters have been designed. However, I'm missing a key ingredient; the side quest. When I think of my favourite JRPGs I often remember the side quests. Anyone else have fond memories of chocobo breeding in Final Fantasy VII?
    Anyway, so what I'm asking for is some advice on what makes a good side quest, what people's favourite side quests are and I would also love to here some ideas for side quests! But before all that I guess I better provide some information about my game...

Project Azure (It's just a code name...)
    Overview
    In the military nation of Atycia, trouble is stirring... Four friends attending the government military academy, are pulled into a conspiracy that will see them outcast from their country, pursued by the military and a mysterious masked man...

Details
    - The game is set in the semi-steampunk world of Verilia, and the entire game takes place in the military nation of Atycia.

- The player will visit three main cities in the game:
    - City 1: An industrial city that is home to Atycia's biggest power plant and the military academy. There is a big divide between rich and poor.
    - City 2: A military outpost on the border of Atycia, it is home to a large, high-security prison. It is a very poor city.
    - City 3: The capital city of Atycia, it is home to the richest of the rich. It is famed for its c asino's and other similar attractions.

- The player will travel between cities using an airship.

- Player party characters:
    - A shy girl, who gains confidence as the game progresses.
    - A cold girl, consumed by revenge.
    - A quiet boy, who hides his desire to fight for what's right.
    - A loud boy, who never backs down, however he has a dark past, hidden even from himself.
    - A hardened soldier, who languished in prison for years. He has no love for the Atycian government. (He is a secret character).

- Battles in the game are turn based, with three characters taking part.

Sorry for the lack of detail, I really didn't feel like typing... So, start discussing the art of the side quest!

P.S. Might not reply to any comments for a couple of weeks, I'm going on holiday...

"Tobi is a good boy!"

I always liked the side quests in fallout and mass effect where you went on a side quest for a companion and learnt more about them and potentially got an upgrade for them at the end of it.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    The problem with some of those quests, at times, though, is that they break up the flow of the game. Really it can be said of side-quests in general. You have to be careful about the plot and whatnot.

Like, say the plot is about trying to chase down a villain or to stop a villain from doing something. In both cases, time is critical and every second counts. And, well, it seems like it breaks the flow of the story and the urgency of the plot if the party decides to drop their world-saving quest for a moment to go help some guy resolve his daddy issues.

Basically you need to design side quests in such a way that they don't trash the flow of the main quest.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    The problem with some of those quests, at times, though, is that they break up the flow of the game. Really it can be said of side-quests in general. You have to be careful about the plot and whatnot.

Like, say the plot is about trying to chase down a villain or to stop a villain from doing something. In both cases, time is critical and every second counts. And, well, it seems like it breaks the flow of the story and the urgency of the plot if the party decides to drop their world-saving quest for a moment to go help some guy resolve his daddy issues.

Basically you need to design side quests in such a way that they don't trash the flow of the main quest.
    Enter: Skyrim

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Oblivion is actually a great example of doing it wrong. Given what the plot of the main quest is, any time you do a side quest the player character is being irresponsible and foolish at best, and insanely selfish at worst. The plot of the game's main story is such that, assuming that the player character in any way is supposed to be a believable character, then it makes no sense for them to ever really be doing side-quests. The main quest is simply far too urgent and time-constrained.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

"Shepard, we must stop Saren before it's too late!"
    "Be quiet! You'll scare the pyjaks away!"

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    I have a question.

Is the game in Japanese?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

I'm an Adult! Member SebSchmidt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmanacnamedTime View Post
    I have a question.

Is the game in Japanese?
    No, why? Though I can understand some Japanese...

"Tobi is a good boy!"

It's not really a JRPG unless it's in Japanese. It's just an RPG.

jrpg is pretty much an established genre

unless your objective is to just be a douche I'd just drop this whole line of conversation