Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Parenting

Some places do A+ or like AA+ or something. This might sound weird but now that I'm older i feel like my parents didn't push me enough to pursue goals. I always got good marks at school, and my sister always got not so good marks and my parents never really minded. We had piano lessons but we were never made to practice more, and never made to study grades in it. I was very sporty when I was younger but my mum never took me to join a sports team or anything. I liked drawing but never had the oppurtunity for drawing lessons and etc etc. So I guess I think parents should be aware of their child's interests and enccourage them, even if it comes off as being 'pressure'. I disagree with too much pressure towards accademic achievement unless the child is actually interested in it, as I was. I look at my child hood and feel like it was a bit of a waste because now I really wish that I had learnt piano more since I can't afford lessons now, but at the time I didn't even know about the graded music system or how fast I was supposed to learn it.

Asians fault.

I have an asian mother but instead of being incredibly strict about academics and musical talent she was just really insane about cleanliness. She didn't give a shit about music or school -- just that the house was clean. I used to fuck the whole place up just to spite her and ironically now as an adult have to remind myself that I'm over it and just clean my room.

My parents are really good about getting behind whatever it is we're interested in, but they also force us to do things if we don't want to do it and they think it's for our own good. Pretty much every time I've been forced to do something it ended up being great so no complaints there. (piano, viola... basketball at one point. I sucked.) Their rule is always pretty much you have to give your absolute best in everything you do, and so long as you do that they don't care about the results - they always say they'll love us no matter how much we mess up. Meaning if my brother gets a C it's fine so long as he actually studied and put in effort. I think it's a great way of doing things and my grandparents on my dad's side are the same way. If I ever have kids (i'm NOT planning on it) I would do the same thing.

Your parents sound pretty cool

Iiii love them :P haha I dunno they're pretty chill for the most part, and they really love doing things with us like camping or sports or just having fun as a family. I feel like I had a pretty good childhood because of that...

well, im still suffering through mine (;3) but i love my parents.
    answering previous questions: we are grade as not acheived (F) achieved (C-B) merit (A) and excellence (A+) my parents are dissapointed if i don't score merit or higher cause i'm one of the sad people who hate academic things, but aren't bad at it T-T

silly parents... just do your best

My mom wants at least C's but fuck that. I've already developed my plans to go to community college, and everyone knows that any old chump can get into one of those, even with just a GED (which is what I plan to get at military school). Um generally she's constantly disappointed in everything that I do and think that my activities are all wastes of time. Um she also doesn't seem to understand how serious my band is really getting. Idk what's with her buy whatever, I graduate next year, if not I get my GED at the end of November, so I'm cool.

My parents raised me probably the best way I could have been raised. My brother and sister are different stories.

I think parents should be aware that not all children are the same--that they need to accept and acknowledge the traits that came with the kid at birth and try to tailor those that are gained through experience to make the kid effective in life.