Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Parenting

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".

Parenting

Parenting and parents.
    What are yours like?
    Where do you think they went right or wrong with raising you?
    What will you do differently with your own children? That is assuming your parents haven't put you off on the idea of having your own children.
    What do you think every parent needs to know to be a good parent?
    What do you think every parent does wrong with their kids?

I got like 50 kids

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    I got like 50 kids
    And I happen to know they're all ill-behaved

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    That's a lot of goats.

There is allways this intimidation factor to parenting that everyone seems to think you need. You could get way better results with teaching them to respect you by respecting your child but that rarely happens.

The only way to parent is to make your child read books all the time and work in the rain. That's what mine do, and just look how I turned out.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    My dad is really old, and it's cool, funny, and sort of scary all at the same time. It' cool because he has such interesting stories to tell. He remembers the Kennedy assassination and was drafted to go to Vietnam (and thankfully never did). It's funny because he'll go on these ridiculous rants on how everything sucks now and that if today's products were sold back in his youth, they'd never have made it because of the shitty quality. It's annoying because he isn't exactly in the best health (the reason he never did go to Vietnam is that he's had horrible Kidney stones throughout his life, and these have only gotten worse as he's aged) and I'm afraid he's going to die before I get much older (relatively speaking).
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

One Thousand Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Mine are the most laid back people I know. Plus my dad is really good at teaching anything(my mom not so much, but she knows other stuff.
    They've taught me a good work ethic, although sometimes I need reasons to do things.
    I'm a bit more of a physical person then my parents so I'll probably show my kids what I mean.
    I think parents need to remember how they felt when they were children, because most adults penalize children for doing things that they did but not explain why not too.
    Every parent will definitely not teach them something right at first because every child sees things and learns things in a different way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

grr i hate my internet.

okay this is what i typed out just before:
    my parents are alright and have taught me good values, but the place a huge amount of pressure on me and my older brother to get good grades. passing is not good enough for them, we have to earn at least an A or higher.
    when we don't live up to these expectations, they become dissapoiunted when we might not have scored the grade for as simple a reason as not having enough time.
    for when i become a parent :
    one thing i really hate the almost everyone seems to do, not just parents, is to yell at you, apologize for yelling, and then proceed to tell you off for whatever you wher doing that made them yell at you. it's hypocritical and insincere, and makes it sound like they did nothing wrong when they shouldn't yell in the first place. you always apologize last if you want them to believe you are actually sorry.
    tough love is somethingelse i don't believe in, as it instigates behaviour of not telling anyone when something is wrong, which could be potentially life threatning.
    last: always keep your promisies. always. my dad has trouble with this one.

How the fuck do you earn higher than an A. Seriously I made a final numerical score of 106% in Geology last year and still only got an A.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    A+ is technically higher than an A.

But honestly uncompromising grade requirements are horseshit. Some people just aren't book smart. If my kids weren't good at math, but excelled in English, I'd be fine with them getting a C+ in Algebra.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.