Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: JJJorgie's Realm of Art- Character Design Feedback

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar
    The perspective is spot on I think! But her head is quite large. That's the only thing I can point out really. Nice work!
    "The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real."

-Victor Hugo

Thanks for you cnc!!!

Hmm, well, her upper body (counting the head) is three heads tall, so she'd stand about 6 heads tall which is how tall I normally draw my characters.

Here's a WIP. I've never drawn a kiss before, so I'll probably need all the help I can get

I think the holding hands may look a little odd.

The kiss looks really good but if you didn't I would really suggest using Mark Crilley's section on kissing poses. I would definitely suggest adding more shading to the males face as it looks very 2D to me and make sure to do the same for the girl when you come to colour and shade her. You could also define the difference in colour where the shadow being cast from the hair hits the face a bit more. Also be careful with the long hair of the girl as the top ones begin to look like tentacles almost so try to add some more strands maybe with some colour and shading when you get round to it last thing, im sure the girls hand holding the boys is foreshortened but it still appears very small lengthwise maybe try to lengthen it a fraction?

For a first attempt its looking great keep up your good work and sorry about not being able to check the thread more often, very bad connection where I am

I appreciate your posting and I hope your trip's going well! I'm planning to smear the girl's hair more and use thinner strands when I actually coloring her. I'll definitely add more shading to the skin, particularly the guy's face. Thanks for all your cnc!!

Very cool scene! There were quite a few problems I noticed, so I did a short paintover and a small redline. Um sorry for the backwards numbers <_<

1. The way you drew her neck doesn't make sense at all. Essentially you drew her neck like it's broken or something. At that angle, her head would be facing downward since she's trying to kiss him and he's under her, and also the neck would still be connected to the chin. Disregard the back of the head, I'm retarded

2. His shoulder is way too low

3. His butt his way too low. Remember, you need to get the actually body and anatomy down before drawing the clothing. Otherwise that just messes everything up

4. The coloring you did on the skin, hair, and scarf. I understand you're not done, but by the little color splotches you put on the side planning out what colors you're going to use, I can see what you're going to do. Do NOT just use a darker version of your base color for shadows. Skin doesn't work that way. Instead, use redder colors and possibly yellower colors around like the chin area. You have to remember that the face you drew is a form as well, and not just a 2d drawing. Shade the nose, cheeks, lips, nasolabiel fold, etc. If you don't want it to be that realistic, you may want to just choose a different style of coloring.

Here is a guide to digitally coloring different types of skin. This is like my favorite thing ever, and I used it for on your picture as an example. Look at the pale gold color, thats essentially what you're using:

SPOILER! :

Another thing is the hair and the scarf. Don't be afraid to throw in bright highlights! Go crazy with the hair as well. Even the hair I did could use a bit more working with. I made the brush size 10 and just went crazy with darker and lighter colors and hues. Don't rely so much on painting inside your lineart

5. Where's her butt?!

6. I think you really need to work quite a bit on clothing folds. Look for some references for a long coat. OR! Put on a coat yourself, look in the mirror and do the same pose. Study how the folds work.

Also I forgot to number this, at that angle her elbow would be raised.

Oh goodness, thank you so much!! I've never been able to color skin that well, so that guide is especially aweomse and something that I'll definitely reference back to a LOT!!!

Thanks for all the anatomy checks, also. My male anatomy is pretty bad (I've just started really studying it recently). I've never really done a big, very detail picture like this before so I'm kind of jumping from point to point trying to get all the basic layout done. I guess I should really just slow down and focus. The main rsoan there aren't a lot of highlights is because I hope to pint it as if in the rain either at ngt or just on the dark day.

Thanks again, toast! I REALLY apreciate that you tookthe time to help me out!!!

Here's the revised version. Ignore the coloring! I did that before toast's critique. I tried to fix the girl's pose by adjusting her neck and lowering her body. I gave her a butt though the picture cuts off wierd on here, so it looks like her leg's really thick. I raised the guy's butt and arm. I added more folds to the guy's coat. I was hard to find references for the guy's coat in that position, but I think I did them pretty well and natural.

SPOILER! :
    Last edited by JJJorgie; 07-18-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Here's a lineart from the GB. It was my first time using vectors, so I think she turned out well enough!

The arms are different lengths and kind of in odd positions and the hands are wack (I'll work on those). I just realized that there are no folds :/ Sorry
    Last edited by JJJorgie; 07-23-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Looks good for your first attempt with vectors the lower left leg also looks way to thin in my opinion as it doesn't even come halfway of the leg thickness and I would also say try adding in some folds on her clothes if you want to get good at vectors I suggest downloading the 30 day trial of SAI and using it for lineart, you can scan in you pictures, put it in the background and reduce its transparency and then create a line work layer over it and then vector it. Try it out and see if you like using it or not keep up the good work