Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Thread: JJJorgie's Realm of Art- Character Design Feedback

Try applying value to the next set of torsos you do.

Keep up the good work! =)

Thank guys!!

Okay, so these are my VERY FIRST times using colored pencils for anything besides coloring books!!!! The picture quality really isn't that great and is a little gritty because I was using my phone. Any advice for future reference would be great!
    SPOILER! :

And, here are some 5 minute sketches:
    SPOILER! :

^That thumbs a little wonky

^Practicing cloth folds

^super quickie Marabelle

^I really don't know lol

^WIP!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Wish I could ten minute sketch like that, nice work.
    The powerful play goes on, and you... May contribute a verse.

That's really impressive for your first time with coloured pencils! Tip for clouds - try erasing around the edges to make them look more cloud-like
    ''When you do something wrong, it is not a mistake. It is a lesson.''

Thanks, Tidus!
    And, thanks for the tip, Unmei! Clouds are not my forte

Okay, so I'm trying to get back into soft shading, but.... everything I do kind of looks washed out. Any tips?

There are a few factors making the image look wash out imo.

1) The colours lack contrast
    2) Shades lack saturation
    3) The overly simplistic blend of colours.

Although its suppose to be simple with soft shading, but I always find detailing the drapery always add a nice touch C:

Did a paint over for you C:

On the left is your version, if you colour pick those colours, your's goes down in a straight diagonal line. And they are all on the higher end of the value spectrum creating this really light, poorly saturated image. Same goes for the clothes and hair as well.

The bottom right, I show you how I would pick the colours, Mid tone, I usually like to go a bit saturated, and as it gets darker, I'll drop the saturation, making the colour a bit washed out. Logically speaking, when things get darker, they are getting less light, therefore the colour wouldn't show up as much. For dark shadows, usually you would be able to see colours from the light source blended in there as well. Its pretty much bounce light occurring C:

Usually when it comes to skin tone, I will always add a touch of red in darker areas. So when colour picking for skin tone. The initial flat is ok, but when it gets darker, what I like to do is slowly move the hue down a bit to the Red's. Even if its a pale skin tone, a little red tinted can help bring the colours to life.

Aside from the colours, I find the clothes kinda puffy in her figure, if you wanted to portray the skinny figure further, this to make the drapery all wrinkly, to show that there really isnt much underneath C:.

Hope this helps! ...and made sense xD

Oh goodness, that makes A LOT more sense now!! Thank you soooo much!! the visual is super helpful, too! Just really thanks!!!

My only gripe is that with the first five minute sketch, you've drawn the clavicle as if it were protruding from the flesh. I can't say i've seen cases of this as it is usually layered with muscles, so unless your woman is extremely thin I don't think it would be so sharply pronounced. Nice drawings otherwise :3

That's awesome that you're getting into using colored pencils. I think it's a really underrated medium. I'm not sure how much you've researched techniques on various ways to use them. The way I prefer is to do several color passes using the white colored pencil to blend colors as I go. Sometimes it's better to "glaze" a color with white and then use a different color on top and go over once more with the white to create a different color. It also gets rid of the paper texture for a much smoother looking blend. I say this because it appears that you aren't using the white colored pencil much in your work so far. At any rate, hope this helps. I look forward to seeing more.

Hey that last one looks really good! I agree with the tips already given on the colouring. Don't be afraid to use funky colours like red and purple, they are perfect for shading. Darker, more desaturated version of the base colour can make a picture look flat or grey. I think that the example that has been given looks good, but you might want to apply even more contrast. Be sure that you got a high range of values, and preferably that different planes in your drawing (skin, hair, shirt and trousers) aren't all of the exact same value range. Some variety can be very refreshing!