Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: JJJorgie's Realm of Art- Character Design Feedback

A great start! I like the pose you were going for with the couple, very cute. Here's a red line of it with a drawover of the redline afterwards:

SPOILER! :

Oh! Also, it might help to study cloth and draping. Many times you do not need to draw ALL of the folds and creases because it can become muddled and busy. You can draw the most important ones, like folds under arm pits and where clothing bunches up around the waist or elsewhere. Again, studying clothing and how it falls on the human body will clarify which ones to draw and how.

Thanks for the redline, I really appreciate it. But I think you have the picture's situation wrong. I meant for her to be asleep and the guy carrying her, as in walking (hence his legs not spread). She's sleeping supposed to be sleeping, which is why her head is farther from his and her legs were loose. I'll see what I can do with the clothing and folds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Well, the arm's too long and is slightly bent a little oddly, and the hand is too big. There are some VERY bright patches of coloring (on the pants mainly) that should probably be a little darker; I think I'll probably blend everything in together some.
    Last edited by JJJorgie; 03-20-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Holy shit, JJ, I think we use the exact same website for references. I even drew this specific picture a month or two ago! Hahaha! I honestly think you nailed it, it looks really great and very clean. The only issues I can discern clearly are on the right leg, back of the knee? The fold there seems a bit unnatural, and with the shading it makes it look like a depressed vein or something. Her arm also looks a bit too consistent (?). This may just be a stylistic choice, as I tend to exaggerate curves a bit, but on the upper portion of the forearm I think there should be a bit more of a bulge there. Otherwise it looks very solid to me.

Thanks, Sylux!! That's super helpful! You're right about the non-existent bulge on the arm, and I'll definitely see what I can do about the fold on the knee! Haha, I can't believe we used the same ref!!!

I know, right? Small friggin' world on the Internet it seems hahaha

Haha, so it would seem!

Okay are you ready for this.

GO.
    SPOILER! :

1. The problem you've mentioned about arm angle might be because of the elbow. I did the pose myself and the elbow isn't low like that(Unless the model was different. I could be mistaken.) For me it took up the middle of my arm. It takes up the whole thing.

This could be a model thing, I'd love to see reference just to make sure.

2. The problem you're seeing with arm length could be solved by shortening it about a hand length. It's not that far off. You did pretty well.

3. Her back currently looks a little flat. Remember, people have form. If you have to, draw the action line. It usually follows the spine and it can give more life to your drawing. The line around the waist with the jeans is a little flat as well. So is the butt. Don't be afraid to add meat.

4. Her legs are too long or her head and torso are too small. She stands about 9 heads tall at the moment. She should be standing about 7 and 1/2 heads tall if you're going for more realistic proportions.

NOW, this could be a thing with the model, but I don't have the reference in front of me, so I'm just going off general basics. She could have freaky long legs. I know people who do.

5. In my opinion, and it could be wrong, I think the fingers are a little short. The palm and finger are pretty close to the same size. Again this could be a model thing. I'll let you use your judgement on that.

For coloring:

Remember, cloth doesn't shine unless it's silk or satin or things like that! Denim absorbs light and stays a darker shade. You aren't going to get a bright return off of them like you do with the skin.

One thing you're doing right is remembering the position of the light source. Way to go!

Keep it up, JJJ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE YO KIDS
    Sylux: WHAT ABOOT MY WIFE?
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE JAI

Oh, wow, lots of sutff! Thanks!! Sadly, I did not save the ref because this picture was more of a warm up exercise. When I recreated the pose, my elbow was that low, though. As far as the meatless butt goes, the pants were very baggy in the ref. Other than that, I probably agree with your critique. And, don't worry, I know denim doesn't shine like that

Regular Member TheVermillionFox's Avatar
    Wow, I think all to critique has been done so O_O
    Nice picture though, I really wanna see the finished product!
    I am actually Roy Mustang.