Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Anime

Classic Anime

Reg doesn't agree with that "Anime has always been mostly rubbish" thing going around. I mean, I always try to give a totaly fair review when I recommend stuff and point out it's flaws, but seriously...

Exactly when did Disney or any other western studio make something even slightly resembling any of these semi-to-not obscure bad boys?

(Cowboy Bebop)

(Macross Plus)

(New Dominon Tank Police)

(Bubblegum Crisis)

(Votoms)

(Generator Gawl)

(Blue Submarine No.6)

(Dragon's Haven)

Just because Manga entertainment decided they wanted to go on an uber-cheap post-Akira gore rush does not mean that is all that was out there at the time.
    Last edited by Regantor; 04-20-2012 at 07:09 PM.

My avatar probably betrays my thoughts on the subject, but the original Dominion OAV holds a special place in my heart. It's like Blade Runner, except with tanks. And knob gags.

lol. Well the other Dominion OAV did have that bitchin' metal intro, too. Amusingly enough, I actually think it resembles the GITS manga way more than Stand Alone Complex does.

Heh, yeah - I think you're preaching to the converted here man, I even bought the OST.

I have a lot of time for New Dominion, but I did miss the more post-apocalyptic vibe from the original OAV. I thought it was quite an interesting contrast in that, even when the world is screwed, people will still make jokes about phallic-shaped tank traps...

bubble gum crisis is considered a classic?

Don't mind me, I got it, just wasn't gonna have another chance to post that...

As for old Dominion, yeah, I do think the humour was better. Slapstick with bazookas. The gas thing was a really original element, too. Perhaps if that weird-ass ending wasn't so out of the blue, through... You have to wonder how much further it could have gotten.

Clock; The original OAV is. Tokyo 2030 can go chew a dog's leg. Keep in mind how related it is to AD Police and Genocyber before jumping to super sentai conclusions, too.
    Last edited by Regantor; 04-20-2012 at 07:49 PM.

I have no idea what means "can go chew a dog's leg". But yeah, apparently it can be considered a classic.

I think this is entirely relevant to the conversation.

That solo at the end...

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Exactly when did Disney or any other western studio make something even slightly resembling any of these semi-to-not obscure bad boys?
    What does this even mean. Are you saying that just because we can't make anything better anime isn't bad? I'm not saying any of this is bad its just a shitty argument is all.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Well when you talk about entertainment it only makes sense to make comparisons relative to other available entertainment, so I wouldn't say it's a bad argument at all. I mean, if you're going, "Well it's better than everything else but it's still not as good as I personally WANT it to be" that's not really a fair way to review anything. That's not unlike saying "everything sucks".