Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My Little Pony

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    It does seem a lot like it's liked ironically. I allso think there's a nostalgia factor going on here like all these guys are trying to remember and relive their youth in this cartoon.
    I don't think so. The newest Transformers show on the same channel (the HUB) is animated just as well and has the original VAs. People were into Transformers in the 80s, not MLP. If they were into it for nostalgia, they'd probably be watching that. And considering the age group that does like MLP, the new cartoon would be upright their alley.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Like I said, I don't know why the fanbase is so religious about it. Like most of us don't wear our interests on our sleeves. But Bronies celebrate their fandom to rather large extents. There is definitely some kind of statement in there and, though I don't doubt that some people genuinely like this cartoon, I highly doubt all of them love it to the extent that they say they do.

I mean saying you like dumb or contradictory stuff for the sake of being ironic is a pretty popular thing to do these days. Like high school students who claim to still watch Sesame Street and enjoy it. On an objective level sesame street is extremely monotonous and boring television, even for young kids. I couldn't stomach it as a 5 year old and, now that I've 15 years more exposure to better television, I probably wouldn't even be able to look at it without vomiting.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 04-20-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Got four words for you: Headbangers and Star Wars. Metal fans and "Jedis" are trying to have their fandoms recognized as official religions. Seriously. They're far more ridiculous than Bronies in my honest opinion. In addition, Narutards and Bleach fuckers get seriously riled up about their crap, too.

About Sesame Street, it came out in the 60s, so it has survived incredibly well.

Eh, I dunno, Sy; It seems more like a whiplash effect to me... Star wars, Star trek, Naruto, Gundam and Metallica's lore is treated with rediculous serious-ness even within their own series, never mind the fanbase.

New-breed shows on the other hand, like MLP, Adventure Time, and even Gurren Lagann are completely low-brow and devoid of the "jesus effect" which puts people off the afformentioned high brow shows. It's the exact same thing which happened with Disney (high brow) and Warner Brothers (low brow) a couple of decades ago.

MLP is probally just the most popular because it's the most low brow, then, in my opinion. It asks the absolute minimum ammount of attention but also takes itself with the least ammount of seriousness.
    Last edited by Regantor; 04-20-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Eh actually Jaidurn and I live by our Lagann code. While we may not take the show seriously, we take the spirit seriously. Never give up, never give in, even if you're in the biggest hole you've ever been in throughout your entire life. And really the only way we can really live by this code so well is because we have each other: We don't believe in ourselves, we believe in the each of us that believes in the other. I don't take MLP that seriously, though, just the implications against myself for enjoying it.

Sometimes you have to give up

But Sylux...Gurren lagann was practically a parody of itself.

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    But Sylux...Gurren lagann was practically a parody of itself.
    a parody can still deliver an effective message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

Yes but it's intended to be the opposite message of the plainly stated.

Honestly, the best thing about GL was the fact that Kamina... Well, you know, the thing that happens in episode seven. It proved beyond all doubt that those funky ideas were the characters talking, and not just director blowing his load in your face to make some silly statement. That's the cornerstone of what made them such good characters, even, with values that struck a cord even if they didn't neccisary make sence (even within their own universe)...

So, yeah, GL was both awesome and a parody, it doesn't have to be one or the other. It doesn't even mean that the values that the characters reprosented were neccisary good or bad morally or socially, just plain awesome, because that was clearly the point all along. XD

Anyway. Back to the original topic. That above post was only really me trying to explain why MLP and shows like it are popular at the minute, regardless of their actual quality. Cartoon ponies don't interest me enough to watch it in the first place, so it would be kinda moot for a guy like me to judge.