Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pointers to remember when drawing landscapes?

pointers to remember when drawing landscapes?

I got too used to drawing backgrounds with buildings and streets and stuffs just go along the grid but it seems that I have a problem when it comes to landscaping...

specially the ground.. I just can't picture what shape it should have..

I'll be looking into references to enhance my imagination... but is there any pointers that you guys always think about when drawing landscapes?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Pay attention to shape.
    Shape shape shape. Foreground and background, and the harmony between formations. I know landscapes in real life are all over the place, because they can do what they want, but unless you're THAT badass, and on a godly level, if you're drawing your own landscapes, you want to make sure you got a good composition.

I'm sure Cype can help you with this better, cause this is his specialty. But basically, do little thumbnails to help you out, and don't just jump right into it.
    Use grayscale to start off, so you can focus more on formation, shape, and compo.

Something like this, for example.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Eyurgh; I vaguely remember memorizing several things from a book but most of them escape my head now. Oh, I do remember one thing though. Shapes are more distinct in the foreground but colors from the same objects are also brighter. Something about the air and whatnot having a blurring effect the further away you go, I seem to recall.

yeah Cype did discussed it in his tutorial that further stuffs are actually lighter..

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Pay attention to shape.
    Shape shape shape. Foreground and background, and the harmony between formations. I know landscapes in real life are all over the place, because they can do what they want, but unless you're THAT badass, and on a godly level, if you're drawing your own landscapes, you want to make sure you got a good composition.

I'm sure Cype can help you with this better, cause this is his specialty. But basically, do little thumbnails to help you out, and don't just jump right into it.
    Use to start off, so you can focus more on formation, shape, and compo.

Something like this, for example.
    what's annoying is that I don't really know when to use hard brush and soft brush.. basically I guess it's painting that's my real problem is..
    Cype even has a specialty? I thought he's just good at everything!

Basically, you just want to use a hard brush on your focal points, ie where you want the viewer to look. In his tutorial Cype talks about how distance increases the atmospheric distortion, and distortion = less details. This video is good for understanding why it hurts your painting to render everything with a hard brush, I forwarded it to the beginning of the paintover I was thinking of (it covers three in total); http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...IN5xYE#t=3331s

I tried to copy a piece of art and seems to come up with a piece of crap.... basically I don't even know where to start in painting this thing..OTL

Art isn't Call of Duty, buddy, you can't just jump in and start painting something like that and expect it to come out perfect. You have to build it piece by piece, step by step, and don't rush.

And truth be told, even if you took a whole week trying to copy that piece, it still would be nowhere close. You have to take the time to practice and understand.

Start out black and white so you don't lose yourself in the muddy colors.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by ram View Post

I tried to copy a piece of art and seems to come up with a piece of crap.... basically I don't even know where to start in painting this thing..OTL

When painting ... Always start with your background first
    Then, you want to start with light colors... Then slowly build on the darker colors
    And always remember that a painting takes many layers till completion

^
    That too. Gud tips.

This is a lot less forgiving when you do it traditionally.
    <My comic

I remember cype made that tutorial about value sketching where you start with black silhouettes and detail it with lighter colors and there's another tutorial where it's another way around... but yeah he deleted it before I even got to read everything.

So where can I find a tutorial like that? is there one on youtube? I just want to know the keyword of what it's called